• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Format of PRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinbynight

erinbynight
Hey...I'm taking the PRT in a few days and was wondering the format. For situps, do they hold your feet? Any tips? is there anything i should know from you experienced people before i take the test? Thanks.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I would think they hold your feet, because that's how it's done at OCS (and the fleet for that matter). My best advice is to practice the format, do situps, then pushups, then do the run. Get used to it, because your scores will obviously higher if you do everything separtately.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Don't forget touching your toes!! That's the one that always scared me. But, it's not a pass fail thing anymore :D.

erinbynight

erinbynight
Also, on pushups, I start to sag at number 11. When do you call it quits while doing the pushups? in what types of situations would you be asked to stop? (like, if my belly touched the ground or something?)

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
I was told that if you start tiring out it is better to stop for a couple of seconds in the up position while doing a push up and then do some more. That might help with the sag.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
erinbynight said:
Also, on pushups, I start to sag at number 11. When do you call it quits while doing the pushups? in what types of situations would you be asked to stop? (like, if my belly touched the ground or something?)

In order to rest in the up position, you must keep your body in a straight line. At OCS, you'll be done if you stick your butt in the air, or if your midsection sags. Doesn't even have to touch the ground, they'll stop you. Try doing some lower back exercises, that really helps.

People think pushups are similar to the bench press, but in reality, pushups use every muscle (almost) above the waist (ever do an ab workout, then try some pushups? Not fun).

Most of all, keep at it!

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Pushups and situps always come before the run, but in no particular order.

Your toes will either be stood on, or kneeled on for situps. Your arms must be crossed, and you must always be touching your opposite shoulder. If you let go, you are done. Situps are more like crunches. You only have to go up until your elbows touch your theighs.

Thisguy is right. No sticking your butt in the air. Keep your body as straight as possible. A full pushup starts at pushup position. You lower yourself until your elbows are at a 90 degree angle with the deck (any further and you are just making it harder on yourself). When I do my pushups, I just do it in a rapid pumping motion as quickly as possible. The slower you go, the more your muscles have to stabilize your body and work to support yourself.

Good Luck

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Godspeed said:
Pushups and situps always come before the run, but in no particular order.

Its supposed to always be situps then pushups.

OPNAVINST 6110.1, Enclosure 7, Section 4
4. Event sequence
a. PRT events shall be completed on same day, in the
following sequence: warm-up, sit-reach, curl-ups, push-ups,
cardiovascular event (run/walk or swim), and cool-down.
b. Events shall be performed allowing at least 2 minutes,
but no more than 15 minutes between events.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/PhysicalReadiness/
http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/6110/seven.pdf

erinbynight

erinbynight
Thanks for all your help, guys...I passed the PRT with the mandatory good low for BDCP applicants. Now wouldn't that suck not to get pro-rec'd for intel or supply after doing the PRT and physical??? Ah well...I will wait and see. I pumped out the 21 and then stopped...haha. Yeah, we stuck to the order situps, pushups, 1.5mile run. However, we didn't do the toe touch, i guess b/c it wasn't a 'real' ocs prt, just one done in the recruiting office. Your partner now has to hold your feet with their hands, no knees or sitting on them anymore. The girl holding my feet was strong though, I got 63, where a week ago it was like 30. :)

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I got 58, 72, and 12:30 (I know, the run sucked, it was about 19 degrees that day, leave me alone. :icon_wink ), and I am applying for Supply and Intel, as well. Best of luck to us both!

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
The thing that I sometimes get asked about is that I like to keep really wide arms on the push ups to lessen the strain on my shoulders. They alsways ask me "why are you doing that ? It's easier to keep your arms next to your upper body." My response usually is "well push ups only measure 30-40% of your upper body and arm muscles strength anyway." Then they just walk away.

One tip I have though is when you feel your arms getting tired from doing the coutless pushups is to turn your palms so that your fingers point away from your body (only 45-50 degrees is all it takes). This will use more of your tricep instead of your bicep and give some of your other muscles a rest and work out others. And when your at home or the gym try elevating your lower body on a bench or bed or something and do the push ups that why which actually strengthens your upper body more then regular pushups.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another idea is pull/push sets. Helps you gain a lot of muscle. Because I'm a girl with no where near enough upper body strength to do a set like this, I do assisted pull ups, but you're still getting a good workout.

Do 12 pullups, then get down do 24 pushups. 10 pullups, 20 pushups. 8 pullups, 16 pushups.

If that's too hard start with 10, 8, 6 on the pullups.

Status
Not open for further replies.