• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foreign Policy Debate

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So...I'm not trying to take this into a debate about the merits of any particular candidate...but...

Did anyone else hear Governor Romney say Syria is "Iran's gateway to the sea"?

I would also say that the discussion of naval strength "smallest Navy since 1916"....conversation could be interesting here.

Mods, if you find this inappropriate, my apologies in advance. I tried to keep it PC.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wondered WTF he meant by that. As for the number of ships, it is a one what outdated metric. Capabilities is ultimately what matters most (along with the ability to bring them to bear).

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
As for the number of ships, it is a one what outdated metric. Capabilities is ultimately what matters most (along with the ability to bring them to bear).

Agree that it's an outmoded metric, but I don't feel like the Presidents response highlighted an appropriate one either. He made a rather glib reference to us no longer having alot of horses and bayonets and moved on. Romney at least made an oblique reference to a call for a 330 (ish) ship Navy while we are "headed" for 280 something. Anyone have any references for any of that? I suspect that this particular discussion won't make the fact checks...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So evidently we have these things called aircraft carriers?

And boats...that go underwater.

images

BigRed389

None
Agree that it's an outmoded metric, but I don't feel like the Presidents response highlighted an appropriate one either. He made a rather glib reference to us no longer having alot of horses and bayonets and moved on. Romney at least made an oblique reference to a call for a 330 (ish) ship Navy while we are "headed" for 280 something. Anyone have any references for any of that? I suspect that this particular discussion won't make the fact checks...

References for what? The 280 ship navy we're headed for? That's been the ballpark for awhile: http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/FLEET.HTM
And I'd also add that roughly 30 of those "surface combatants" are essentially obsolete.

Also worth noting, that bottom line number includes the non combat support ships.

But it's also a fairly meaningless metric. C&L's and platform types matter more. I think we'd be better served modernizing existing platforms rather than just cranking out new builds of the ones we've already got. With an aging fleet, platform diversity looks like it will be an issue.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Syria is Iran's gateway to the Med or Southern Europa maybe??

I agree that is likely what he was saying, but even that makes no sense. It's like arguing that Kyrgyzstan is our gateway to Central Asia...uhhhh...ok.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I thought a much more interesting debate was held between Ndamukong Suh and Jay Cutler regarding the finer aspects of the 1 & 10 passing game. Cutler said "HUT" and Suh almost broke his ribs. There is a consensus that they reached a mutual understanding...

robav8r

None
Contributor
I think we'd be better served modernizing existing platforms rather than just cranking out new builds of the ones we've already got. With an aging fleet, platform diversity looks like it will be an issue.
I think this is the larger issue. Increased OPTEMPO on existing platforms with decreased and/or scaled back maintenance periods will do more to harm the Fleets ability to respond to an overseas crisis than squabbling over total number of hulls and what type they are.