• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I'd vote for FSU getting in, instead of Bama. Mainly bc I think Saban is a dick, and I can't stand his AFLAC commercials. ?

Notanaviator

Contributor
It’s not often that I adopt a @Brett327 level of certainty (said with love, obvi), but, generally, the only way the SEC doesn’t win the CFP is if they’re not in it. If there’s an SEC team in the top four, and there should be, they will win.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
It’s not often that I adopt a @Brett327 level of certainty (said with love, obvi), but, generally, the only way the SEC doesn’t win the CFP is if they’re not in it. If there’s an SEC team in the top four, and there should be, they will win.
You're most likely correct. Objectively though, you've got 3 undefeated P5 conf champs, and two 1-loss conf champs (with UT beating Bama head-to-head). I think if Bama gets in, it's just a nod to the SEC's past dominance, which IMO diminishes the importance of conf championships and head-to-head maltchups. For example, UGA just basically lost the CFP quarterfinal today, and should be out.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You're most likely correct. Objectively though, you've got 3 undefeated P5 conf champs, and two 1-loss conf champs (with UT beating Bama head-to-head). I think if Bama gets in, it's just a nod to the SEC's past dominance, which IMO diminishes the importance of conf championships and head-to-head maltchups. For example, UGA just basically lost the CFP quarterfinal today, and should be out.
While I concur, it would be a stupid (and potentially disastrous) decision for college football to fit an SEC team into the playoffs at the expense of FSU. I do agree that Texas should be the #4 team but we all know the committee can’t quit Bama or Georgia.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
#1 Michigan vs #4 FSU, #2 Washington vs #3 Texas. These are the most deserving teams.

However, 12-1 Alabama, 12-1 Georgia and 11-1 Ohio State are left on the outside looking in - and does anyone think FSU with a 3rd string QB could beat any of those 3 ? Best 4 teams are ??? (note: of the current top 10 teams, 4 are from the SEC)

Somewhat reminds of undefeated Auburn in 2004 (coached by Tommy Tuberville) being left out of the national championship game (Southern Cal beat Oklahoma 55-19).

Also reminds me of 1978 when #5 Notre Dame beat #1 Texas 38-10 and elevated to National Champions despite #3 Alabama beating #9 Ohio State 35-6 (in between, #2 Oklahoma was beaten 31-6 by #6 Arkansas)

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
If the committee is honest, and looks at the entire season, Alabama should be on the outside. Their only “marquee” win was against Chattanooga and they struggled through much of the early season. Add to that, an unranked Auburn chased them all the way to the end of the Iron Bowl.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
So…the committee wasn’t honest. Now FSU is the first unbeaten Power 5 conference winner to ever miss out on the College Football Playoff. The need to have either Bama or Georgia in the CFP is driven only by hoped-for watch numbers. My prediction, this will be another nail on the rapidly declining CFP coffin. A conference champion playoff is the only route to real college football - but who knows how many conferences will be left in two or three years…maybe only two!

MGoBrew11

pilot
So…the committee wasn’t honest. Now FSU is the first unbeaten Power 5 conference winner to ever miss out on the College Football Playoff. The need to have either Bama or Georgia in the CFP is driven only by hoped-for watch numbers. My prediction, this will be another nail on the rapidly declining CFP coffin. A conference champion playoff is the only route to real college football - but who knows how many conferences will be left in two or three years…maybe only two!
Well next year we have that fortunately. Top 5 ranked conference champions and then at large bids. But yeah, this is not cool to the FSU players and coaches who deserved better.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Well next year we have that fortunately. Top 5 ranked conference champions and then at large bids. But yeah, this is not cool to the FSU players and coaches who deserved better.
Side note…it is all Michigan’s to win or lose. We’ll see how it goes.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
If the committee is honest, and looks at the entire season, Alabama should be on the outside. Their only “marquee” win was against Chattanooga and they struggled through much of the early season. Add to that, an unranked Auburn chased them all the way to the end of the Iron Bowl.
Just saw that Alabama’s strength of schedule was 5th, FSU’s was 55th.

So thoughts on 1 loss Texas being ahead of FSU as well? If Georgia had won yesterday, the discussion would be Texas vs FSU - again, FSU is playing with their 3rd string QB.

Orange Bowl with Georgia vs FSU will be interesting. In addition to the FSU being the first unbeaten Power 5 conference champion not in, Georgia is also the first #1 team before the final poll not to make the playoffs.

Paul Finebaum just brought up the point that FSU had generated a lot of bad blood with their fight against the ACC and trying to leave - wonder if that factored into the decision?