• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That ain't staying up for long in Old Town. Ya know, with all of that voter suppression and stuff.
I’ll start spreading the rumor that the “G” stands for God…the town will order it down in seconds.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So Navy fired their coach?
Did he get fired or retire?

Edit: apparently he got fired. I'm not an entirely unbiased observer, but as someone with at least a bit of detachment, given Navy isn't my alma mater or primary team to root for . . . that was a fucking stupid thing to do.

I guess he can go commiserate with Bo Pelini while Navy pulls a Nebraska and flails trying to find someone to replicate his success.

Edit the edit: Wow, this gets even better. The AD apparently fired him in the locker room right after the game. From what I understand, Coach N is fairly well-respected in the coaching fraternity. Wonder how many otherwise-qualified candidates are going to see that and tell the AD to pound sand. Again, looks like Bo Pelini Part Deux . . .

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Did he get fired or retire?

Edit: apparently he got fired. I'm not an entirely unbiased observer, but as someone with at least a bit of detachment, given Navy isn't my alma mater or primary team to root for . . . that was a fucking stupid thing to do.

I guess he can go commiserate with Bo Pelini while Navy pulls a Nebraska and flails trying to find someone to replicate his success.

Edit the edit: Wow, this gets even better. The AD apparently fired him in the locker room right after the game. From what I understand, Coach N is fairly well-respected in the coaching fraternity. Wonder how many otherwise-qualified candidates are going to see that and tell the AD to pound sand. Again, looks like Bo Pelini Part Deux . . .

Being well respected isn’t what schools are paying coaches for - they want coaches to win games, especially against army. Coach K failed to achieve the latter of that.

number9

Contributor
Being well respected isn’t what schools are paying coaches for - they want coaches to win games, especially against army. Coach K failed to achieve the latter of that.
The fact that any school would willingly throw money at Hugh Freeze proves just how right you are :(

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn’t call being the only coach to take Navy to an 11-win season and being their all-time winningest coach “failing to achieve the latter of that.”

There are schools that can catch lightning in a bottle, fire it, and make a lateral hire. Service academies ain’t that. Navy is a 6 acting like a 9.

taxi1

pilot
Some random thoughts on Navy's coach swap...

Great coaches can have tough seasons, or stretches. Paterno had the dark period where we almost didn't win a game one year. We vied for the national championship after that.

Coaches can be too big of a fish for the pond. Every now and then we need a reminder of who is in charge. Was that going on?

I feel bad for the Navy running back who fumbled on the goal line. He is going to feel like he lost his coach his job.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear Franco Harris passed away last night, almost 50 years to the day of perhaps the most famous play in NFL history, “The Immaculate Reception.”

If I remember correctly, that sounds like Curt Gowdy as the announcer?

1671640762931.png

Trailing the Oakland Raiders 7–6, the Pittsburgh Steelers faced fourth-and-10 on their own 40-yard line with 22 seconds remaining in the game and no time-outs. Head coach Chuck Noll called a pass play, 66 Circle Option, intended for receiver Barry Pearson,[11] a rookie who was playing in his first NFL game.

Last edited:

GroundPounder

Sorry to hear Franco Harris passed away last night, almost 50 years to the day of perhaps the most famous play in NFL history, “The Immaculate Reception.”

If I remember correctly, that sounds like Curt Gowdy as the announcer?

View attachment 37151

Trailing the Oakland Raiders 7–6, the Pittsburgh Steelers faced fourth-and-10 on their own 40-yard line with 22 seconds remaining in the game and no time-outs. Head coach Chuck Noll called a pass play, 66 Circle Option, intended for receiver Barry Pearson,[11] a rookie who was playing in his first NFL game.
Great coverage of the on field ceremony to retire his jersey, with his wife and son there, just days after his death. Oh wait, they cut away to go to commercials.. WTF?

Not the best planning on the NFL's part.

1672158856142.png

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I pretty much expected Alabama to beat Kansas State but boy do I wish I’d put a hundred bucks on TCU to go to the National Championship game! Now we’ll see if Ohio can play spoiler to Georgia.