• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Font?

Cleonard19

Contributor
I'm trying to finish up my USNA package, and the last thing I need to do before I can schedule my interview with the Captain and send my package off is my SECNAV Nomination Request. I know this sounds silly, but what is the "standard Navy font" for Things such as this?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Times New Roman was the achademic standard for many years (largely attributed to Microsoft's choice to make it the default for Word). Since then Calibri has become quite popular with universities....

In the navy Courier or Courier New is used widely. I would guess any of those would be acceptable.

Cleonard19

Contributor
The only fonts I have access to are: Times New Roman, Arial, Arial Black,Arial Narrow, Comic Sans, Courier New, Garamond, Georgia, Tahoma, Trebuchet, and Veranda. So Helvetica isn't an option. I'm going to just have to go with Courier New.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Comic Sans MS will really make your application "memorable". :)

Seriously though, Times New Roman is a good one; good compromise between modern and classic and I doubt anyone would bat an eye at seeing it. Courier New is fine, even if most people haven't used a strike-on typewriter with serifs in years (if ever). It used to be the standard formal font, replaced of late by Times.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All you non-fleet guys stop guessing. Helvetica - seriously? WTF? Courier New (10-12 pitch) is the gold standard for Navy correspondence, but Times New Roman has been used more recently.

Brett

gjhouston

Per the SECNAVINST 5216.5 Department of the Navy Correspondence Manual:

"For text, use 10- to 12-point font size. Font styles such as Courier New, Times New Roman, or Univers are preferred."

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Also per the Navy correspondence standard: every fifth word needs to be a ridiculous acronym. Good luck.