• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fomer Navy Pilot has some problems

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They could have at least made a gentleman's pass at BFI if they were already in the I-5 neighborhood :)

Flugelman

Contributor
True, that ... after several passes < 1500' over the city and airport environs ... all the while lookin' for SEATAC :eek:

That's funny. SEATAC was the first big airport I had ever gone into as a newly minted Private Pilot, in a Chreokee 140, no less. Didn't have any trouble finding it... This was in the days before the TCA's and it wasn't all that busy. Didn't quite know what to do with all that expanse of concrete. :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
They could have at least made a gentleman's pass at BFI if they were already in the I-5 neighborhood :)

Naaaaaaaaah ... they were just being Rooskies ... not stupid. :D (J/K, in case there's any doubt ... )

I still (fondly) remember BOEING Field in the ol' days ... acres and acres of B-47 tails stickin' up and then the B-52's later -- literally dozens of 'em.Those lines of tails looked like a forest -- the absolute epitome of a Curtis LeMay wet dream. :)

And the ol' main terminal building/tower -- talk about lookin' like a 1930's/40's kine' place, yah, Bruddah ???

boeport2.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Do you remember what time frame that happened roughly? I never heard about that, and lived in Seattle...
I think it was in the early-mid 90's ... at least it was soon after the collapse of the Soviet Union ... but it wasn't a non-stop, I believe they flew from VLAD-MAGADAN-KHABAROVSK-ANCHORAGE-SEATTLE and back, using the IL-86 or Tupolev-154's.

KAL or one of the Jap-anese airlines also did something similarly stupid -- flying low over downtown SEA buildings on an approach into SEATAC -- not even remotely close to the approach profile -- nice. :) Similar thing happened in Honolulu.

Although the Rooskies later leased Airbus and Boeings, I don't think they ever returned to SEA-VLAD shuttle after they got kicked out of SEATAC when the Russian birds couldn't comply w/ noise abatement restrictions.

Aerflot losing the route reportedly contributed greatly to the hard times that befell the west coast Russian Mafia and the stolen car rings they spawned ... :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I heard the -154's were ungodly loud for a transport jet.....maybe that played into the noise abatement violations?

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Any time I see an article that describes someone doing something stupid or has a problem, I have to ask myself, how accurate is the article and what were the actual circumstances? Not much different than reading about accidents and some of the really stupid comments made by "reporters". Even the NTSB reports are often flawed and they are the final word? wheeeew
Semper Fi
Rocky

+1. I couldn't agree more. Reporters always get aviation stories AFU. I just got back into General Aviation after 20+ years away. I flew a Bonanza with my boy from South to North Texas a couple of days ago and it is amazing how easily one could get in trouble trying to rely on 20 years of fast jet, IFR experience when flying VFR. I was never more happy than when Houston Ctr ponied up for flight following to keep my vulnerable pink butt safe from the MOAs, thunderstorms, and FAA ogres...
Ctr: "52Alpha, are you familiar with the Brownwood MOAs?"
52A: "Ummmmmm, why do you ask?" LOL

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I flew a Bonanza with my boy from South to North Texas a couple of days ago....
I wonder if that was your relatives that I met @ 30+ years ago under the low overcast on a RTB to CHASE Field w/a flight of 4 ... ???

We were re-entering the field just NE of Normanna (sp?) ... the formation met beak-to-beak @ 1500' w/ another aircraft ... no head's up called on local radar following ... I told the other Instructor to continue RTB w/ the STUDs ... I did a 180 ... came back ... dirtied up and snuggled up behind the left wing to get a VID and tail # of what turned out to be a grungy white, unmarked C-47 ... the guy in the door pulled 'something black' up that looked too much like something that goes 'bang' ... I did the fasted crossunder in the history of US Naval Aviation ... and then they started kicking bales of 'something' out of the door ... :D .... I started yellin' "RADAR, MARK MY POSIT, MARK MY POSIT" and squawked 7700 to get their attention for a posit backup ... I was out of fuel and the WX was going down ... so I turned around and landed.

Got a call from the DEA at home that night ... etc., etc. .... :)

Like I say ... anyone you know???

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
A4s,
Don't hold it against me, Brudda. I just retired and I have to find a way to keep Red set up in the manner to which she's grown accustomed. Actually, I don't think a 60 year old Bonanza is going to hold enough ganja to keep her in that kind of style. Back to CVIC for more planning...