• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

schandra

I've read that pilots in any of the services can expect about 300 hours of flight time a year. I thought this number seemed a bit low, sicne there are around 250 working days a year.

How often do SNAs fly in primary, intermediate and advanced and how long are the flights usually? What about once you're in the fleet?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
after primary (including sims) ended with ~130 hrs. Intermediates are no more and I do not know the answer for advanced.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Math works out on the fleet numbers. I got winged with about 200 hours. Three years later I just went over 1300.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think 300 flight hours a year is probably common. My first sea tour lasted 3 1/2 years and I ended up just under 1100 hours, not including the 242 I flew during primary, intermediate and advanced. My squadron took a big hit in 2000 though, with very low flight time for all pilots in the squadron.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
bunk22 said:
I think 300 flight hours a year is probably common. My first sea tour lasted 3 1/2 years and I ended up just under 1100 hours, not including the 242 I flew during primary, intermediate and advanced. My squadron took a big hit in 2000 though, with very low flight time for all pilots in the squadron.

I am 3 flights from being done w/ pilot training and right now I have about 225 hours under my belt not counting sims. I have heard E-6 pilots can get over 500 hours per year (praying this is true) and I had a P-3 FO tell me that a few years back 600 hours per year wasn't uncommon (this was before the P-3s started falling apart).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We had guys leaving the squadron last year with 1800 hours total (600 PIC time), a result of OEF, and the constant flying we were doing. On deployment is where you see most of your hours, and any exercises you are in during your homecycle. I am going to finish my tour with a little under 1300.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
webmaster said:
We had guys leaving the squadron last year with 1800 hours total (600 PIC time), a result of OEF, and the constant flying we were doing. On deployment is where you see most of your hours, and any exercises you are in during your homecycle. I am going to finish my tour with a little under 1300.
Depends on what you fly I think. I rarely log more than a 1.5 in the hornet, maybe 1.8 at the ship, but a 30 hour month has been hard to come by lately. I had one last month but it was the first in 6. I don't really know yet, just got to the fleet really.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chip, my longest was a 13.6 (a third of that in the rack mind you, special crew time), but we broke the 18 hour day. Like you said, all comes down to what you fly, and in turn what's going on in the world. I haven't seen 30 hours in a month since we got back from deployment (80-100 on deployment), more like 15 or so now on homecycle.

Rainman

pilot
Especially in the past few years, not so uncommon to see Harrier guys in the single digits (monthly). OUCH! I've met AV8B bubbas that logged under 400 hours in an entire tour (with the various groundings, etc)

Sir, I came to fly--not stock the coffee mess.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got 1200 hours (980 in type) so far and I've still got a deployment to go on this tour. Viking guys seem to average on the high side of 300 a year. I'll be leaving this sea tour with 1500 hours and 1250 in type (1250 PIC).

Status
Not open for further replies.