• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying Suspended At Vance

UMichfly

pilot
None
That's a great idea actually

Dude, don't get your hopes up. You think any of our bitter, angry sim contingent could even get medically cleared to touch a jet?

p.s. Great quote in your signature. I wish the rest of that safety stand-around would have been as awesome as that moment.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Dude, don't get your hopes up. You think any of our bitter, angry sim contingent could even get medically cleared to touch a jet?

p.s. Great quote in your signature. I wish the rest of that safety stand-around would have been as awesome as that moment.

You mean like when they said "No matter how hard you squeeze it, you can't keep it from going off?"

Or when they provided a chance for studs to drink and prove their ability to do better than average at intoxication tests?

Huggy Bear

pilot
From the article above:

"Union spokesperson Bob Wood says CSC also decided to rebid the contract with 20 percent fewer workers than needed, leaving the machinists with an overwhelming amount of overtime.

You could have 700 hours worth of vacation and still get fired for using it. It's just unacceptable stuff and it's not a way to treat professionals," said Wood."

Sounds like a valid gripe to me.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
From the article above:

"Union spokesperson Bob Wood says CSC also decided to rebid the contract with 20 percent fewer workers than needed, leaving the machinists with an overwhelming amount of overtime.

You could have 700 hours worth of vacation and still get fired for using it. It's just unacceptable stuff and it's not a way to treat professionals," said Wood."

Sounds like a valid gripe to me.

Sounds like a Union spokeperson's side of the story to me...

The linemen at Vance were pretty worthless when I was there in 2007. You could walk out, do the entire pre-flight, and be standing around waiting 10 minutes for the jackass to get off his union smokebreak.

Then there was he day I got back from a 1.5 aero fun-flight to find a smoldering oil-rag in my engine compartment... "Oh, we just did the 100 hour...musta left one, oops, my bad"

President Obama has been into Federalizing private industry...here is one instance that I wouldn't have a problem...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Sounds like a Union spokeperson's side of the story to me...

The linemen at Vance were pretty worthless when I was there in 2007. You could walk out, do the entire pre-flight, and be standing around waiting 10 minutes for the jackass to get off his union smokebreak.

Then there was he day I got back from a 1.5 aero fun-flight to find a smoldering oil-rag in my engine compartment... "Oh, we just did the 100 hour...musta left one, oops, my bad"

President Obama has been into Federalizing private industry...here is one instance that I wouldn't have a problem...

That doesn't sound like you conducted a very thorough preflight...maybe he WAS only smoking for ten minutes :eek:

I bet it's a lot easier to be enthusiastic about your job when you're on a "fun-flight" than turning wrenches when you're 50...

Unions suck...bottom line. Workers DO have a right to demand better working conditions though, maybe those guys WERE getting paid peanuts for the hours they worked...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Right on. It seems like every LSI (sim guy) here flew multiple airframes and are retired O-5s/O-6s. All the LSI guys also get two rides a year in the
T-6 so they provide excellent instructio on what to expect.

But as my post stated earlier, these same guys DID strike, so it's not like even these "war heros" are immune from wanting more benefits (whatever they may be).

That doesn't sound like you conducted a very thorough preflight...maybe he WAS only smoking for ten minutes :eek:

I don't know about the T-6, but if you can't do a pre-flight of the T-34 in 10 minutes, you have issues.

I bet it's a lot easier to be enthusiastic about your job when you're on a "fun-flight" than turning wrenches when you're 50...

But that's the thing, it's all about attitude. Whiting has very good linemen and personnel, many who have been there for a very long time. I had heard complaints about Corpus linemen and when I det'ed w/ some of them in Las Cruces, I can see why there are complaints. Both groups are "owned" by the same contractor, but obviously management does something different (I'd argue better) at Whiting.

MasterBates

I don't know about the T-6, but if you can't do a pre-flight of the T-34 in 10 minutes, you have issues.

I think a T-45 preflight took 5 minutes, tops. Ejection seats don't add that much. Maybe 10 if they were playing stump the chump in the -34.

wlawr, they are not like a 60, being smaller and simpler, and you don't have 10% of the "pilot accessible" nooks and crannies to look into.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I think a T-45 preflight took 5 minutes, tops. Ejection seats don't add that much. Maybe 10 if they were playing stump the chump in the -34.

wlawr, they are not like a 60, being smaller and simpler, and you don't have 10% of the "pilot accessible" nooks and crannies to look into.

awesome...I remember our squadron SOP made us open the #6 shaft cowling and have TWO sets of eyes on each motor and the tail rotor.

Turns out that enthusiastic, well-paid, non-union PC's leave rags behind too. :icon_smil

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
In my comings and goings of the hospital, commissary, (NEX)PX, etc, I have run across many retired and retire-turned-maintenance personnel. Most are courteous, intelligent, respectable individuals. The ones that are working on base (especially on the flighline) are VERY proud of their birds. I have to agree that most of the personnel I ran across in Enid were not these people.

However, I do agree with Gatordev that, just because they are former military, they are not immune from wanting "more" or "better" benefits. BUT, striking is not the way.

p.s. The next AW to use "war hero" is going to get a manatee flipper upside the head! :icon_rage

MasterBates

Was the #6 the shaft from the IGB to the TGB? It's been close to 3 years since the last time I preflighted a 60.

My old squadron used to do the "you get top, I get bottom/tail, AW gets cabin" preflight save on FCFs where I looked at EVERYTHING personally.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Because their actions directly affect the readiness of the military that is keeping them from being taken over by some third world dictator who tends to shoot/hang dissenters. If they were just a bunch of dishwashers/car assemblers/airline pilots...no harm/no foul by me. But they signed a contract with the DOD to provide a service that DIRECTLY affects the military (in a time of WAR no less)

If it is okay for these douchebags to strike, why not the civilian contractors overseas. Shit, maybe Blackwater should stop sniping/flying/killing bad guys and wait for a better check...

Not only is that an issue, but how fucking secure are you going to feel going back to work with these guys now? Apparently your safety is expendable when compared to their checking account. Better double-check that engine/ejection seat...oh, and hope you don't need some of these firefighters to actually get close to the fire and save your ass...if they'll throw you under the bus for money, they sure as hell won't put their life on the line for you...

It is not the first time they have struck, either:
http://www.enidnews.com/localnews/local_story_159232640.html

Hopefully the BRAC comitte takes the wonderful populace of Enid Fucking America into account when they shut down the next AFB...

BreakBreak

Any word on how the traffic situation is there at Vance? Are they even allowed on base if they aren't at work?

Pickle