• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying for the USCG?

Davis

Air Force Kid in a Navy Forum... Death Wish?
In general, how competitive is it to fly for the Coast Guard? Is it comparable to other branches (very competitive)?

Thanks.

Brunes

pilot
Very Competitive. They select less than 75 folks for flight training every year (maybe way less right now) and they work VERY hard to make sure you are the right person for the job and that once you are selected-That you get thru.
Significant hurdle right now might just be getting a spot in the service at all....Small budgets mean less people.

Davis

Air Force Kid in a Navy Forum... Death Wish?
Yeah, I've noticed that they aren't accepting too many people in general. I'm in AFROTC and just getting a slot into field training (to contract with the Air Force) is suddenly very competitive. Let alone getting a pilot slot. Did you/do you fly for the CG?

Thanks for your reply!

Brunes

pilot
Yes- I'm currently an H-65 SAR pilot in New Orleans. (The H-65 is the helo in my avatar)

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
This is true . . . there are a number of Coast Guard JGs and LTs roaming the halls at Whiting in Primary. Most of them did at least one sea tour before reporting here. There are the lucky ones who come here straight from the Coast Guard Academy and such, but it seems like most of the Coasties here did a tour before getting here.

Brunes

pilot
Though getting an Officer slot with USCG is quite a hurdle alone, can you verify whether or not it's true that, once in the Coast Guard as an Officer, getting an aviation slot after your first tour is viable?
It was the standard until about 2oo4 that ALL pilots went to another duty station first from the Academy and a small number of pilots went direct from OCS. Since then about 1/3 of the pilots for the CG come direct from the Academy of OCS and the rest of second (or third tour) officers.
I went to a ship for two years after I graduated the Farm, then did flight school and am about a year and a half into my first aviation tour. Performance at your accession source and in your jobs assigned while applying for flight are probably the most important factors.

taco09

That's changing right now actually; Thadmiral made the switch in 2004 to allow coasties to head directly to flight school. Admiral Papp is big on everyone heading to sea first and then coming over to aviation (or inspections, sectors...). I had to do a 378 tour first as well before being accepted and the vast majority of CG folks in training that I met had a similar situation.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Coast Guard pilots have balls that clank my friend, they will fly in some of the harshest environmental conditions out there. I knew of a few who had flown out of Alaska though it's my understanding those are second tour types.

Brunes

pilot
Any idea how come that is?
Yeah...I think I forgot to type this part. They were running out of spaces on ships and needed Operations Ashore specialized officers, just like Cuttmen, so brand new JOs were the option to go direct to flight school or direct to a selection of land based billets (Sector Command Centers, Districts, etc).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah...I think I forgot to type this part. They were running out of spaces on ships and needed Operations Ashore specialized officers, just like Cuttmen, so brand new JOs were the option to go direct to flight school or direct to a selection of land based billets (Sector Command Centers, Districts, etc).

That's what I was kinda curious about. Is that because of more new accessions or fewer cutters? Or both? My impression was that both numbers had stayed more or less stable, but my knowledges of the CG is O-Club level at best.

Brunes

pilot
That's what I was kinda curious about. Is that because of more new accessions or fewer cutters? Or both? My impression was that both numbers had stayed more or less stable, but my knowledges of the CG is O-Club level at best.
More accessions-I do know we have not gotten a significant number more billets or cutters for first tour JOs but my class had 208 graduates which is more than past classes.