• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying an exchange tour with Foreign Air Force/Navy

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Video footage of the C-2 out of BAN Hyères on board Charles De Gaulle at this link.

http://www.defense.gouv.fr/layout/s...ef-americain-apponte-sur-le-charles-de-gaulle

A few images released by the Ministère de la Défense in the last few months of Opération Harmattan.

http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad79/Gv321/?albumview=slideshow

So what career milestones need to be met in order to go on an exchange tour with the French, because that Rafale is a sexy airplane?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So what career milestones need to be met in order to go on an exchange tour with the French, because that Rafale is a sexy airplane?

I think the only exchange billets available to USN guys (or foreigners in general) are Super E's, and I'm not even sure if we get that anymore. There were a couple of Frency Rafale guys flying as IP's in Meridian though, as well as the French studs that go through there

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I think the only exchange billets available to USN guys (or foreigners in general) are Super E's, and I'm not even sure if we get that anymore. There were a couple of Frency Rafale guys flying as IP's in Meridian though, as well as the French studs that go through there

Bummer. An exchange tour would definitely make for some great sea stories.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There still are exchange tours, I just don't believe that the Rafale is one of them. I've known guys who did RAF Tornados, as well as various flavors of NATO Hornets. The program is called "PEP"

Here's the link I've run into A-6 drivers who flew Tornadoes with German Navy, Hornet drivers who flew Spanish Hornets, French E-2 exchange pilots, E-2 pilots who flew NATO AWACS, Hornet drivers who flew Brit Typhoon, Helo drivers who flew Aussie helos (amazingly great deal) so check into PEP to see what's still out there...whole idea is a one for one "prisoner" exchange so if you run into a foreigner flying something here in states, there is a US aviator "taking" their place overseas. Only downside is your "ticket" FITREP-wise doesn't count for much, but plenty of folks did it at Super JO point in their career and still had time to get the tickets they needed to progress.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really...that's like my dream exchange...I didn't know it actually existed though. Though I think Tornadoes are badass too.

One of the Mods was going for it a couple of years ago, but ended up at VFA-106 as an instructor. Might want to send EODDave a PM if you're really interested.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have a German and a Brit instructing here at 129, so I know they offer PEP in VAQ land as well.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Did anyone else notice that the link for PEP tours mentions a "current list of PEP billets to the right", but that there is not an actual link to the right?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did anyone else notice that the link for PEP tours mentions a "current list of PEP billets to the right", but that there is not an actual link to the right?

Try it from .mil account. That is likely the sanitized public site you're looking at sans all the good stuff.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NATO AWACS isn't a PEP billet. It's a regular overseas tour, like going to a NATO staff, just a flying job instead of a PowerPoint slave. It's not an unusual job in the E-2 community; I know 4-5 guys off the top of my head who've done it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
P-3s used to have a RAAF PEP tour. About 1/3 if the guys who went ended up staying and joining the RAAF.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P-3s used to have a RAAF PEP tour. About 1/3 if the guys who went ended up staying and joining the RAAF.

Wow! Did not know that...must be the..uh..beer, right? ;)

Never had a port call there, but those who did spoke wondrous things about liberty there...