• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flyin with "The Mongoose"

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A USMC C-130 buddy just emailed me this. I read it maybe 2 yrs ago on "The Onion".

I Am The "Top Gun" Of Commercial Airline Pilots
I've been piloting DCs and 7s for American Airlines going on 15 years now,
and I don't mind telling you, I'm the best there is. The Navy's flight
school can only have one "Top Gun," and the same is true in commercial
aviation. There are many great pilots at American and the other airlines,
but none have the speed, wits, and solid-brass balls that I do. That's
right, Capt. Ron "Mongoose" Haller is the Top Gun of airline pilots.
To date, I've captained 2,947 domestic flights, and every single one
arrived on time. Weather delays, safety procedures, FAA orders-it takes a
hell of a lot more than all that to ground Mongoose, baby. What's my
secret? Nothing fancy, no hocus pocus. I just know my sh!t-and treat the
plane like a beautiful woman.
One time, on a coast-to-coast, Engine Three went out over the Rockies.
According to procedure, I'm supposed to radio a distress and land at the
nearest airport. But I said to hell with that: Call me a wild card, a
loose cannon, but Mongoose has never been one who slavishly follows
"proper procedure." Besides, I've got 241 passengers who need to get to
Frisco. I kept that bird up for 500 more miles and landed 12 minutes
early.
Now, the pinstripers weren't too thrilled about that, but I know how to
keep them at bay. They can threaten to bust me down to Navigator, but I
know they'd never actually go through with it. Why? Because I'm the best
they've got.
Then there was Flight 701 from Dulles to JFK a couple years back. We
taxied almost 40 minutes late, and still those gutless sonofa*****
controllers tried to put me in a takeoff queue. I knew the flight could
land on time if I went for it, so I cut across the median and grabbed
Runway F, which was down for routine maintenance. The lead controller
screamed a blue streak, but I got those passengers into Terminal C three
minutes ahead of schedule. To this day, the FAA still rides my ass about
that one, carrying on with their by-the-book bullsh!t.
I'll tell you the real reason for my being on the FAA's sh!t list. Let's
just say Chief Boswell still hasn't forgotten about a little "incident" in
flight school 20 years ago. It was Aug. 14, 1982. I was a cocky young buck
then, at the stick of a DC-9 for the first time in my life. Boswell was my
instructor. At 13,000 feet and climbing, he radios me to cut the fuel and
land because of a radar problem on their end. Like I'm gonna cut my flight
just because their damn ears are off. So I kept climbing to 20K, until
that zero-visibility pinhead threatened to expel and blacklist me from
every flight school in the country if I didn't make nice and come down.
Well, I knew when I was beaten, but I got the last word by buzzing the tower, pulling away at the last possible second. I swear I saw that
hardass dive under the console for cover, right in front of the CEO of
Boeing. Later on, I heard Boswell was wearing different pants for the rest
of the day. He never forgave me for humiliating him like that, and I only
made it worse six years ago by taking the sexy stewardess he was looking
to score with to the Norfolk Hilton for a night of sweet Mongoose Love.
He's never forgotten that (and neither has that stewardess, I'm sure). To
this day, Boswell rides my a$s about every last rule in the book, every
chance he gets.
Don't get me wrong, I believe in the importance of rules and regulations
for protecting clueless greenhorn pilots from themselves. But we're
talking about Mongoose here. I laugh at air pockets. Turbulence is a walk
in the park for me. Once, when a blizzard was approaching the East Coast,
I maxed all the engines and went from LAX to Logan in five hours, still a
passenger-aviation record. Did I break a sweat? Hell, no. I had Steel
copiloting. With the Steel-Man to my right, I could scratch a cockroach's
back with a 747 and still land at O'Hare under the gun.
I have no patience for suits riding my a$s about "the book says this" or
"regulations say that." Or "a standard-issue Captain's hat does not have
claws embroidered on it
" or "every passenger on that flight has joined a
class-action suit because they believed they were going to die." Hell, if
those passengers don't think flying under the St. Louis Arch at 600 mph
makes for a great story, they don't deserve to fly Mongoose Air.
People say I'd be good enough to fly Air Force One if I weren't such a
pistol. That's no skin off my ass. Let some namby-pamby milquetoast Air
Force honors-student be a once-a-month chauffeur for the world's most
overpaid kingfish. Mongoose serves the people.
I gotta admit, though, just once I'd love to strap on one of those
Concordes.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That hat bit cracks me up.

And I never, ever wear any kind of hat if I can help it. My hair is WAY too cool. I fight it every time they make me put a helmet on in the plane. My mane was meant to flow with the breeze of my face gasper...

Holy crap, you're gonna hit 1000 posts....it's almost as exciting as watching an odometer roll over....

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
The onion rocks! There is another good one from a wanna be helo pilot, pissed off about having to look at a bunch of gauges and dials instead of just flying.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
The onion rocks! There is another good one from a wanna be helo pilot, pissed off about having to look at a bunch of gauges and dials instead of just flying.

From TheOnion.
I Want To Fly A Helicopter
By Bob Kuhtz

Okay, so since time began, man has dreamed of flight, right? I know I have. I've always wanted to swoop between the mountains and hang suspended high above the earth and all that jazz. So naturally, I decided to try my hand at flying a helicopter. But here's the problem: Everyone makes such a damn big deal out of operating one. I want to fly a helicopter, not look at a bunch of crazy dials.

You know what man has not dreamed of since time immemorial? Keeping an eye on his H-over-G indicator. Cavemen did not look to the hawks in the heavens and wonder about their approximate yaw angle, whatever the hell that is. Old Orville and Wilbur sure as hell didn't dream about zeroing the VOR needle for bearing correction—I'll tell you that for free. So why in hell is some instructor screaming at the top of his lungs for me to look down at the console when I'm in the middle of trying to avoid crashing into a barn?! Something tells me there's no barn-missing meter down there!

A helicopter has about 40 different instruments. I suppose there's a chance that I'll be curious about a couple of them someday, but for now, they're just getting in the way of the view. In fact, all that blinky-blinky nonsense seems downright dangerous.

In the Bell Jet Ranger, I had to sit on a couple of extra cushions, because otherwise, the airspeed indicator and the artificial horizon were right in front of my face! Isn't it more important for me to see the real horizon? For one thing, it'd help me figure out the damn helicopter speed—one thing they don't have a dial for!

Half of these dials don't even mean anything. What's "ROTOR ANGLE/ATTACK" supposed to stand for? Am I really expected to know what the "COLLECTIVE DEG INCL" is at all times? You can tell me all the scary stories you want, but I doubt old Icarus fell to his death by ignoring his "MANIFOLD PRESS/TEMP IN/HG." All those dials just jump around like crazy, with no rhyme or reason.

And if "LBS FUEL PAYLOAD L/R" is supposed to be some sort of gas gauge, it should read "E" to "F" instead of displaying a bunch of arbitrary numbers that go all jangle-dangle when I'm having fun with the stick. And when's the last time anyone ran out of gas, anyway? Everyone knows that there's always a few gallons left, even when the needle's pegged.

Hey, if it would make everyone feel better, I guess I could choose one meter and look at it whenever there's nothing to do. We'll compromise: I choose a go-to meter; you bite your tongue. Having a hot-read meter wouldn't be so bad, anyway, so long as it didn't interfere with the serious business of flying around and swooping.

But I wouldn't want to let it get in the way of just plain hovering. Because I don't want to be futzing with some meter when I'm trying to do the hovering-around-in-the-air thing I love.

Come on, there's a lot to look at when you're flying. Things are spinning around and coming right at you, and the helicopter seems to have a mind of its own. And then there's the crazy-ass instructor, hollering and grabbing at things and telling you everything except how to deal with the telephone poles that keep popping up right in front of you. I can't wait to go solo. It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're scratching with the chickens!

Seriously, how important could all those dials be? It seems like any problem would come with a lot of smoke, which I'd smell, or a loud explosion or shrieking metal sound, which I'd hear. Or by a bunch of landscape right in front of my field of vision. If any of that happened, it'd be too late anyway.

Flying a copter isn't for the faint of heart. Those loud warning buzzers that start up 30 seconds into your flight will drive you crazy. Sometimes, you get so turned around, you can barely say which way's up.

Given how hard it all is to start with, I really don't see why they have to go and complicate things more with a bunch of dials, buttons, lights, and levers. The next guy can futz with those things all he wants; I, for one, am ready to fly.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
haha, flying a 747 under the St.Louis arch..I did that (or some arch:)) in Flight Sim a few months ago...according to the game I made...you know what that means? not a damn thing!:) ...lol great article:)

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Oh God yes!!! That paper is the only thing that made ROTC drill survivable... it came out on Thrus when we drilled.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Oh good God, I had forgotten about the Short Plane. I nearly pissed myself when I saw that the first time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hahha I love the line about taking the communications tower and having a pizza party.

Status
Not open for further replies.