• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Surgeons at the controls?? Dual designated Flight Docs?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm asking this since I haven't been to a squadron yet, but why would the Navy actually have flight surgeons in the plane? What function would they be performing in the crew? Or do they go up to get an appreciation of aeromedical issues? I didn't even know they went through API until yesterday, so I'm curious.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I'm asking this since I haven't been to a squadron yet, but why would the Navy actually have flight surgeons in the plane? What function would they be performing in the crew? Or do they go up to get an appreciation of aeromedical issues? I didn't even know they went through API until yesterday, so I'm curious.

Going bouncing with the flight surgeon = all the free Motrin you could ever want and fewer questions at Flight Physical time.

Flight docs don't actually crew up...they fly as glorified passengers (and not that often) to help them appreciate first hand the physiological wonders of flying.

At least that was the case in VQ...anyone seen anything different?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Going bouncing with the flight surgeon = all the free Motrin you could ever want and fewer questions at Flight Physical time.....At least that was the case in VQ...anyone seen anything different?
"Different", but kinda' the same as a practical matter ... in ATTACK:

Go on LIB's w/ the Flight Surgeon = all the "free" penicillin you could ever want (and just what IS 'free' in life, anyway :)) and discrete medical records and fewer questions .... blah, blah, blah .... :)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I had my annual flight physical a few years back with a flight doc that was THE last guy to be dually qualified Navy M.D./ VFA Pilot... I'm sure the older guys on the board knew quite a few of these gents. Incredibally cool for someone to be able to pull this off. Too bad we don't do it anymore.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, there's still guys who are winged Pilots/FO's, then return to the Fleet as Flight Docs. I know it's happened that these folks have got re-stan'ed (assuming they went to an a/c of their old type) and flew as regular mission crew. I don't know whether it's totally kosher under NATOPS, but as I say, I know it's happened. I can't see why it'd be a problem with FOs, or pilots in multi-pilot a/c...don't know about Hornets/Rhinos. Unless it's absolutely 100% blessed by the type wing or CAG, I can't see many skippers letting that one go.

As for the original question - the Docs "assigned" to tailhook squadrons are really part of the Air Wing. Ashore they'll be at the clinic, and underway they'll be down in Sick Bay. They might wear your squadron patch, and you'll call them if you've got a funny itch after a port call, but that's about it. You'll have a corpsman or two assigned to look after your records and make sure your flight physical is up-to-date, etc. More medical yeomen than Docs, at least ashore.

So them coming to fly with you is more of a perk to their job, and a bribe to make sure you can ask them "off the record" medical questions (aka, "Doc, this friend of mine..." questions) should the need arise.

brownshoe

Contributor
I had my annual flight physical a few years back with a flight doc that was THE last guy to be dually qualified Navy M.D./ VFA Pilot... I'm sure the older guys on the board knew quite a few of these gents. Incredibally cool for someone to be able to pull this off. Too bad we don't do it anymore.

Yep, some good guys! Well, a lot of us got diagnosed with ‘non specific urinary tract infection’ after a trip to Mexico.:)

Steve

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Well, there's still guys who are winged Pilots/FO's, then return to the Fleet as Flight Docs.

There is/was actually a program for Flight Surgeons to get Naval Aviator wings, I went through the Prowler RAG with one who was the first applicant for the program in about 8-10 years. The way he described it, he ran in to one of the older guys who had done it and he went back and dug up the Instruction governing the program and applied. After he and another guy, who ended up at VFA-106, got accepted I guess they formalized it a bit more. The Prowler guy eventually went to VAQ-133, Brett flew with him, they really didn't know what to do with him. This was back in '02 so I am not sure if the program is still alive, but it had gone on periodically for some time prior to its withering in the 90's.

Here was another guy who did it:

CAPT David McDowell Brown

There are guys scattered around who were winged before they decided to go to med school, we had a former A-6 B/N in VAQ-128. Fun guy, never did us wrong. There is a Flight Surgeon at NAF Washington/Andrews AFB who was previously was an F/A-18 pilot. He might be the guy that 'examined' you for your physical Mumbles. Was he gentle? ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That would be the most badass thing EVER, except only the dumbest girls at the bar would believe you. "No, seriously, I'm a doctor AND a fighter pilot."

Or the guy I cruised with who was a SEAL and a Hornet pilot. Really.

In Pursuit

pilot
I'm asking this since I haven't been to a squadron yet, but why would the Navy actually have flight surgeons in the plane?

Perhaps for comic relief?! True story: "back in the day" (Whiting circa early 80's) an IP took up a neophyte flight surgeon for his/her first fam flight (gender i.d. not important). The FS kept complaining throughout the flight of "leg cramps". Well the IP couldn't quite figure out what the deal was but figured it was best to head back to homeplate given this mysterious ailment. The IP executed a flawless approach and landing at which time both tires blew on touchdown. You guessed it: the FS was so stressed out about their "first flight" he/she had both feet on the brakes while maintaining probably the best leg press form found in any gym.

Don't get me wrong. I think the "dual designator" program is a good one. Had a "dual" guy in VX-5 with me. Good stick and a real asset to the squadron (was one of the lead Navy FSs studying circadian rhythm issues when we started getting big time into NVD flying/tactics). Great for annual FPs too. All you had to do was walk out of your office, take about 10 steps, shut the door behind you, drop the flight suit, turn your head and cough and that was it for the "flight surgeon" part of the process.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
3710 used to say a FS could be at the controls for all phases of flight if there was an IP with him. My first tour, we had a FS who regularly bounced with our IPs. He did both the 3P syllabus and the NavComm syllabus too. He regualrly flew and participated in tactical missions. He gained a lot of respect from the rest of us for always volunteering fir the shitty flights and trying to be part of the wardroom vice a name on the squadron roster.

MasterBates

When I went thru the HSL-East Rag in 2003, we had a Doc who had been a former 60B guy and RAG IP who did teach at the RAG.

I had Fam 3 or 4 with him IIRC. Really cool dude, I think he's an astronaut now (no shit).

We had another doc when I was with HSL-42, who had been a H3 HC pilot, and he got aircraft qualed for pilot only (ATO Qual waived IIRC, just day fams and such).

I think he made HAC again in the 60B after he got enough hours. I flew with him as my 2P 5-6 times. I did his first NVG flights and RLQs in the 60. That was eye-opening for him.

It's good to fly with the docs. My medical problems were non-existent when I flew with docs!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait...was he one of those super, SUPER secret black ops fighter pilots? I've read about those guys on the Intertron.

No, no shit. True fact. He was an E in the Teams, then got picked up for OCS and decided to go another route. Good dude.