• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight slots out of NROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-wing

How hard is it too get a pilot slot through NROTC?

What do sumemrs in NROTC consist of?

When do you have too sign the contract?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
pilot slot through nrotc is probably the easiest way to get it.

summers are mostly cruises, 3rd class cruise ( intro to all phases of navy life), 2nd class cruise (intro to enlisted life) and 1st class cruise(intro to junior officer life)

contract is after your sophomore year.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would argue that getting a PILOT slot out of ROTC is just as likely as getting a pilot slot out of the Academy (and easier than trying the OCS way-there are just too many applicants and not enough slots). They usually split the numbers of Pilot/NFO slots up evenly between the Naval Academy and the NROTCs.

Whether you go to the Naval Academy or NROTC, the thing that makes you competitive for an aviation slot is GRADES, Aptitude, and ASTB scores. The ASTB score accounts for 40% of your service selection, Grades are 27% and the rest is Aptitude and class rankings. SO, if you are at the top, you will get a slot. The higher your scores, the more competitive you are. (ie: if you get 6's and 7's on your ASTB, whereas, the person you are competing against has 5's and 6's, and the rest (GPA/Aptitude) is the same, the person with the higher ASTB scores will get the slot.)

It's all about performance. Do well and you will get rewarded. This goes without saying, but you must also be physically qualified.

ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

ldahla

what about civilians? how hard is it to get in if you are a civilian? just a guess would maybe be helpful from ea6bflyr..you sounds pretty well informed.

BYPASS

mn2329, ea6bflyr is a NROTC instructor and a NFO. That's why he knows what he's talking about. He has been very helpful to a lot of us.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
at the academy you're stuck with 4 years in and out. in nrotc you can get the option to take longer in school (maybe a semester) and put in a new package. Thats what i did (i had been picked for NFO before SNA) and it worked. I needed to take an extra semester to graduate and our unit CO told me to put in for pilot again and it happened. I dont think the Academy guys can do this.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have to remember that OCS (the civillian way) is a way to make up the manning levels when NROTC and Naval Academy doesn't meet the numbers. They do have numbers they (CNRC) must meet each year for pilots and NFOs.

It all boils down to competition when you apply. If there are more candidates then slots, then it's tough to get in. If there are more slots then candidates, then it's easier to get in.

My advice is to get the highest scores you can get on the ASTB and get lots of reccommendations. A good GPA is also key. If you are done with school, you really can't change your GPA, but if you are still in school, strive to get the grades. Just like anything, the higher your scores/GPA are, the more competitive you are.

Good luck to all of you....

ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

billiken2002

pilot
Hey Guys, new word on signing the contract. You have to now sign it at the beginning of your sophomore. I just signed mine in September. Yeah, man. Go ROTC, it's a blast. It's a lot of fun and the best decision I have ever made.

4thgen

I am currently in NROTC and am a Marine Option and have taken the ASTB and have gotten good enough scores to qualify for Marine Aviation. According to my MOI and other reliable sources, it is possible to get a guarunteed flight status before going to TBS and can be accepted for the program before graduating. I believe if you are interested in flight, I believe that going the MO route would be an advantage in choosing you MOS because if you do not get flight in college, then you still have a chance through TBS, if pilots and NFO's are needed at the time, to become a pilot or "one of many exciting and challenging careers in the United States Marine Corps."

Also, I am planning on getting PRK done on my eyes. My vision is 2.25 diopters and abt 100/20. I was wondering if anyone knows if this will disqualify me from flying any type of jets? And does anyone know if the Prowler will be around long enough for me (Class of '06) to be able to become either a pilot of NFO for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.