• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Schools near Los Angeles?

baryon

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a flight school near Los Angeles which has a former (or reserve) Navy/Marine aviator as an instructor (for a private pilot's license). I've called a lot of places, but their response has generally been "we don't hire too many former Naval/Marine aviators because most of them are too hard core, and they scare off the civilians." (hah!)

My first choice location-wise would be Van Nuys, because it's so busy, but I'll travel as far as Long Beach. (I live in downtown L.A.)

If anyone could recommend a flight school where they'd have hard core Naval/Marine aviators...I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks in advance.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think its in Pensacola, the good news is that is is free, well sort of.

The idea of civilian instruction is to keep you coming back to spend money, hardsore doesnt always accomplish that

baryon

well, obviously i'm kidding about it being hardcore.

but there *has* to be a flight school with a former military instructor *somewhere* near LA.

anyone know of any?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I did 30 hours at the Long Beach Flying Club at KLGB. Great school and great airport to learn at. (Not many other places you get to call clearance delivery on your first flight or get a traffic advisory of an A320 landing beneath you on 30 while you are turning base to 25L) :D