• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

flgator92

None
The hell of it is, Naval Aviation needs the people. It's just difficult to force more through the bottleneck of the VT/HTs without significantly more funding. So, front-side attrition is usually the "solution" to people stacking up beyond a certain point.
I 100 percent agree that in so many ways front end attrition is a sub-optimal solution. CNATRA needs to find a better way to streamline the pipeline. Without a doubt, NASC *is* where the largest bottleneck exists - think about it: 1,000 plus ENSs waiting for a linear 4 (6?) week aviation ground school, which essentially is a beefed up, navalized part 141 training program. Is there not a way to scale up preflight to winnow the backlog as expeditiously as possible? A better way has to be out there ...

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I 100 percent agree that in so many ways front end attrition is a sub-optimal solution. CNATRA needs to find a better way to streamline the pipeline. Without a doubt, NASC *is* where the largest bottleneck exists - think about it: 1,000 plus ENSs waiting for a linear 4 (6?) week aviation ground school, which essentially is a beefed up, navalized part 141 training program. Is there not a way to scale up preflight to winnow the backlog as expeditiously as possible? A better way has to be out there ...

If you scale up preflight, then everyone ends up waiting in C-pool to go to the VTs. That's where the real bottleneck is...

flgator92

None
If you scale up preflight, then everyone ends up waiting in C-pool to go to the VTs. That's where the real bottleneck is...
That's true. There just has to be a better way to deal with the numerous backlogs of Navy flight school. It's more a rarity these days in the VFA community that a patched RAG student will report to their fleet squadron as a JG. Now with the current backlog in Pensacola, those ENSs won't likely report to their fleet squadrons in VFA land until they've been a full LT a couple of years, that's INSANE for a number of reasons.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
That's true. There just has to be a better way to deal with the numerous backlogs of Navy flight school. It's more a rarity these days in the VFA community that a patched RAG student will report to their fleet squadron as a JG. Now with the current backlog in Pensacola, those ENSs won't likely report to their fleet squadrons in VFA land until they've been a full LT a couple of years, that's INSANE for a number of reasons.

I agree with you. It's a complex problem that boils down to insufficient funding and a shortfall in manning. Both problems limit throughput at the VTs, hence the bottleneck.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The delays are mainly a function of when the majority of guys graduate from college, which is mostly outside of the Navy’s control. Stories of major delays during the winter time, etc, are fairly uncommon.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's true. There just has to be a better way to deal with the numerous backlogs of Navy flight school.
Value Stream Mapping is a thing, and there are many eminently qualified Lean practitioners in the private sector.

Cowgirl

It wasn't to VR specifically, it was to FTS. Many went to VR, some went to HELRESWING (when that was a thing). I bumped into one in Abilene waiting for their broken Hotel to get fixed from -4. We had a couple of them at -60, too.

It depended on what you wanted. There really wasn't a place for them to go afterwards, so a lot of them got out. The problem was they were so junior, they had so few points already banked that the "cost" of continuing to drill wasn't worth it for many. Having 3500 points banked versus having 700 points makes a big difference for Reserve retirement.

That's my question as well. If they're PCS'ing you and keeping you on active duty, that's huge.
Yes. I am going to the local NROTC unit and will be a staff member there on active duty while I wait.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes. I am going to the local NROTC unit and will be a staff member there on active duty while I wait.

That's great. But the real question was are you being PCS'ed there? Why we're asking is because you are then entitled to a lot of other monies, which also means it's more expensive for Uncle Sam. That's why we were clarifying your statement.

Sword

Retention of today’s LTs and LCDRs has precisely zilch to do with the accession of new ENSs and JGs.
Maybe not the accession of ENSs but retention effects the training throughput of ENSs. The VTs are all undermanned. VT(j) is heading for like 60% instructor manning. How do you think that will effect time to train?
Retention is important to all aspects of training and readiness.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
All -

Good evening. I was wondering why there hasn’t been a thread for info regarding the current news for flight school. I recently commissioned and am on indefinite hold for flight school. I’m looking for any relevant info on what we should expect. Let us begin…

Flight school is always backed up… has been that way for the last 20 years. Only thing that changes occasionally is the phase. Don’t worry, all the mismanagement will mess up career milestone timelines etc. But everyone else’s will be too so don’t worry about it too much. The next time you’ll only have to show up to fly and then go home after flight school is the airlines. Enjoy the freedom from O4 busy work and self serving front offices while it lasts.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The next time you’ll only have to show up to fly and then go home after flight school is the airlines.
OK…this prompts a potential “stupid question…” How do airlines conduct a “flight review” for their pilots? Is it internal, say, with a check pilot? Is the BFR requirement even a thing for you guys at the show?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
OK…this prompts a potential “stupid question…” How do airlines conduct a “flight review” for their pilots? Is it internal, say, with a check pilot? Is the BFR requirement even a thing for you guys at the show?
Any air carrier AQP recurrent counts as a flight review for all category/class that you hold a rating for... For example in my flying club, the airline guys just point to their last recurrent check to satisfy their FAA Part 61 Flight Review requirement.