• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Current version dated 1 September 2023 says both tiltrotor and helicopter pilots can credit up to 50 simulator hours towards the 500 hour requirement for aircraft commander. Different COs have different policies on whether or not to do so. Some are cool with designating people at 450 flight hours; others make you wait until 500.
That could be 6 months’ worth of flying the way things are going for some squadrons these days 😕

hdr777

pilot
Current version dated 1 September 2023 says both tiltrotor and helicopter pilots can credit up to 50 simulator hours towards the 500 hour requirement for aircraft commander. Different COs have different policies on whether or not to do so. Some are cool with designating people at 450 flight hours; others make you wait until 500.

Didn't realize it was that low for helos. Hawkeyes is 700 hours, no sim time counts. We seem to also be more timeline based than performance/hours based for upgrades though

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Didn't realize it was that low for helos. Hawkeyes is 700 hours, no sim time counts. We seem to also be more timeline based than performance/hours based for upgrades though
Traditionally, it's 500 hours with no sim time for Helos either. And CVW helos aren't really struggling for hours - if anything - they are short on pilots IMO. HSC Exped can struggle depending on timeline and dets.

Can't speak to the HSM side.

The 450 is likely a reflection of both lower hours opportunities for some squadrons and this new ROTR/COPTR/whatever the acronym is for direct-to-helos out of flight school that results in a ned reduction of flight hours from flight school.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's also a bit more reliance/taste for signing off some of the ACTC/T&R in a sim versus in the aircraft. The linked sim events (both external and internal) have helped with that greatly...for better or worse.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I love your optimism
It’s sadly the reality for many people leaving the fleet. The average VP guy leaves the fleet with around 900 hours, after scraping by to make Aircraft Commander at 600 hours. Half the helo bubbas in my squadron left the fleet with about 800 hours and we have some Osprey guys that left the fleet at no kidding 500-600 hours. And these are all total time.

This is only going to keep getting worse as the hours in the various CNATRA syllabi keep getting reduced over time, and because PERS-43 apparently now refuses to extend people anymore in their JO Sea tour (And rumor has it that the norm is about to be 33 months or less for initial sea tours).

Oh and this isn’t just bitching about “JOs want more hours to go to the airlines”. It’s “Look at how much experience and tactical proficiency we aren’t getting”.

/Rant over :)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s sadly the reality for many people leaving the fleet. The average VP guy leaves the fleet with around 900 hours, after scraping by to make Aircraft Commander at 600 hours. Half the helo bubbas in my squadron left the fleet with about 800 hours and we have some Osprey guys that left the fleet at no kidding 500-600 hours. And these are all total time.

This is only going to keep getting worse as the hours in the various CNATRA syllabi keep getting reduced over time, and because PERS-43 apparently now refuses to extend people anymore in their JO Sea tour (And rumor has it that the norm is about to be 33 months or less for initial sea tours).

Oh and this isn’t just bitching about “JOs want more hours to go to the airlines”. It’s “Look at how much experience and tactical proficiency we aren’t getting”.

/Rant over :)
Hey now those shooter billets ain’t going to fill themselves!

Oh and fun fact, across all platforms O-5 sea duty for us dirtbag non command screened types is now 30 months vs 24 months. Because retention.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Hey now those shooter billets ain’t going to fill themselves!

Oh and fun fact, across all platforms O-5 sea duty for us dirtbag non command screened types is now 30 months vs 24 months. Because retention.
On the one hand - that’s a relief - I had been told 36 months Vice 24…

With that said, I’ve heard through the rumor mill that there is serious consideration to make the terminal O-5s who have completed their sea duty do a sea-shore rotation even past 20 - anyone heard anything? (Previously I understand it was basically you can do unlimited shore duty since there were so many infilled O-5s jobs and the Navy was more like “hey, glad you’re staying past 20.” Correct me if wrong).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On the one hand - that’s a relief - I had been told 36 months Vice 24…

With that said, I’ve heard through the rumor mill that there is serious consideration to make the terminal O-5s who have completed their sea duty do a sea-shore rotation even past 20 - anyone heard anything? (Previously I understand it was basically you can do unlimited shore duty since there were so many infilled O-5s jobs and the Navy was more like “hey, glad you’re staying past 20.” Correct me if wrong).

Well, short of remaining incurred/obligated service, I don't believe they can make you stay past retirement eligibility......unless that changed

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Well, short of remaining incurred/obligated service, I don't believe they can make you stay past retirement eligibility......unless that changed
No I get that, and I am certain if this policy is enacted it will result in any non command O-5 staying past 20-21 years, but for those that would be interested in staying for (unlimited) shore duties, this pushes them out too.

BravoBeach

pilot
All Done!

Commissioned Navy May 2021
Reported to Pensacola as a SNA in July 2021.
Finished NIFE in November 2021.
Assigned to Milton for Primary: July 2022 - October 2022.
Started Primary at Milton November 2022. Solo T6 April 2023.
Primary completer at Milton - July 2023.
Advanced Helo solo - October 2023.
TH-57C Day Navigation Solo/Instrument Navigation Solo - February 2024
Winged - April 2024 Heading to Norfolk
Total time since reporting to Pensacola to Winging? 2 years, 9 months, 11 days

(no down chits or breaks in training the entire time)

Attachments

• photo_2024-04-14_19-13-03.jpg
    photo_2024-04-14_19-13-03.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 16