• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physicals

Crowbar

None
RetreadRand said:
I would recommend going to Pensacola if they are paying for it...you do not have to worry about them not knowing the rules and requirements.

Absolutely. Any NAS/MCAS can do a thorough flight physical and know what to look for. When I had one done at the local AFB, I failed the eye test for accomodation (Block 63 of SF88 for those of you checking). When I called NOMI, they asked me why the hell I was worried about something they don't test.
Anyway, six months later (after failing again for accomodation, then having high blood pressure, then having to do a series of BP checks) my MOI finally agreed to just send me to Pensacola for a real physical. Passed, qualified, left with up chit the same day.

junfan26

Snake Griffin
From what I understand, their reason for flying candidates down to Pensacola is to motivate them. Instead of going wherever you'd go for just the exam, you spend the weekend there and tour the flight school, even go on the simulators. Just what I heard - if it's true, you can bet your a** I'll be going to Pensacola.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Again, this is all hearsay, but... I was told that Great Lakes (where they've been sending people from my district) had developed an abysmal record of losing records, not checking for required things, or checking unrequired criteria etc. To put an end to all the mess they are sending candidates down Pensacola to do it. I haven't heard any other reasoning other than that. Maybe it's just a midwestern thing? Still, I'll believe when I'm on the damn plane.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
T-man said:
Although I didn't have to go, I was told it was possible I'd need to go to P'cola to meet a flight surgeon there, and I'm in WA state. So no, I'd say it's not completely rediculous... and besides, if they send you, it'll be on their dime. Think of it as an all expenses paid vacation ;)

it's not in PDF format, but here is a breakdown on another website.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm

you can't eat or drink anything but water 12 hours prior, you're up between 4-5 AM and have to go through a miserable 9 hour physical which could easily be done in about 2...some vacation.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
DocT said:
Again, this is all hearsay, but... I was told that Great Lakes (where they've been sending people from my district) had developed an abysmal record of losing records, not checking for required things, or checking unrequired criteria etc. To put an end to all the mess they are sending candidates down Pensacola to do it. I haven't heard any other reasoning other than that. Maybe it's just a midwestern thing? Still, I'll believe when I'm on the damn plane.

this would not surprise me, that pretty much sums up my great lakes experience. it seemed to me that i was the first person they ever physicalled their. nobody knows where you are supposed to go what you need to do or why you are even there. after telling my OSO this he told that pretty soon the marines will be sending all candidates to p'cola for physicals because of problems they have been having.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Well, for anybody on the east coast I recommend NAS Pax River. They were quick, efficient, and professional. I went through with about 10-20 Marine Aviators and got to BS with alot of guys throughout the day. It definately amped me up about the whole process. Not to mention I was in at 0730 and out by 1300.

MaxAvidy

Newb like woah
Not sure where you guys are in your stage of things. I'm heading to Fort Dix tomorrow to get a physical. The Gunny I'm working with said i'll be there for 6am-10:30am. Is this just the initial physical (havn't handed in my app or taken ASTB yet) and is the flight physical followed? If so when?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
It sucks when you take the hearing test only to fight sleep and hear the tones long after they occurred. Awesome.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
MaxAvidy said:
Not sure where you guys are in your stage of things. I'm heading to Fort Dix tomorrow to get a physical. The Gunny I'm working with said i'll be there for 6am-10:30am. Is this just the initial physical (havn't handed in my app or taken ASTB yet) and is the flight physical followed? If so when?

Sounds like a trip to MEPS for the initial physical. The flight physical should come later one at another date (can't say when for sure). Just make sure you get there a little early so you can get checked in with everyone else on time. (And don't be like the anxious guy next to me who said "Yes Sir" to the female guard checking through our pockets and bags!)

zuggerat

Fezz CB said:
It sucks when you take the hearing test only to fight sleep and hear the tones long after they occurred. Awesome.

hahahahahah that blows. i hear ya. no pun intended

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Zuggerat,

I was recruited outta NY too ... are u going through the NYC office or the Albany one. Even though I am 10 min from the city I went through the Albany office as the NYC office didn't have their **** together. Either way .... I got my physical in Rhode Island at the Naval War College. There were people from the NYC office there too with me so I don't know why you can't do it there ... but then again ... that was like 2 yrs ago so things may have changed.

Peace,

-Spin

MaxAvidy

Newb like woah
Yeah, it's MEPS at Fort Dix. Basically my schedule should be: Saturday MEPS, end of august, contract/ASTB/PFT/Application, then fall and spring semesters at PSU, then OCS/PLC over the summer, then two more semesters of college, graduate... then what? I know it's off to TBS then flight school, but does the flight physical fall in there somewhere?

zuggerat

Spin said:
Zuggerat,

I was recruited outta NY too ... are u going through the NYC office or the Albany one. Even though I am 10 min from the city I went through the Albany office as the NYC office didn't have their **** together. Either way .... I got my physical in Rhode Island at the Naval War College. There were people from the NYC office there too with me so I don't know why you can't do it there ... but then again ... that was like 2 yrs ago so things may have changed.

Peace,

-Spin

im outa syracuse. i was shipped to them because i go to school in binghamton, other wise i'd be working with abbott and his crew in manhattan. i live in nassau so the city wouldn't have been that far of a hike. anyways, im real impressed with 'cuse office theyve been on top of everything so far; really friendly and see generally enthusiastic to be working with me. so far so good

400 posts... thats what im talkin about

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I went to Syracuse University. Haven't been there in a while. Binghamton too. Used to go to Carribfest/Carnival at Binghamton every year.. DJd a lot down there too. Dayum I miss being young with no responsibility!!!!!!!!!! :)

Peace,

-Spin