• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical Insight

TN22corps

Can anyone give insight into the flight physical process compared to MEPS? I conducted a search and failed to find an answer specific to my question.

The Navy Chief at my OST told me that the flight physical is much more in depth than MEPS. Could anyone elaborate more on this?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Can anyone give insight into the flight physical process compared to MEPS? I conducted a search and failed to find an answer specific to my question.

The Navy Chief at my OST told me that the flight physical is much more in depth than MEPS. Could anyone elaborate more on this?

Maybe the vision test is more indepth, but it's not any more work than a MEPS physical. It may be less. I don't recall having to duck walk for NOMI the way I had to with MEPS. Doing a carpet dance with the flight doc over that scar on your eyebrow...Now that's something unique to the flight physical.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Related question that I didn't feel justified its own thread: I was told that while ground officers can take a variety of lifting supplements such as protein, creatine, etc... student naval aviators can only take protein shakes. I am currently on protein powder as well as a creatine blend called Cell Tech Hardcore. Will this present any issues during the piss test even though I am not yet an SNA?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Related question that I didn't feel justified its own thread: I was told that while ground officers can take a variety of lifting supplements such as protein, creatine, etc... student naval aviators can only take protein shakes. I am currently on protein powder as well as a creatine blend called Cell Tech Hardcore. Will this present any issues during the piss test even though I am not yet an SNA?

Probably not. Have yout read the supplements section of the waiver guide?

Deror

Probably not. Have yout read the supplements section of the waiver guide?
Sir,
Not sure what the waiver guide is. I have just been going of the always reliable candidate underground and the older threads on this site.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
While Mike is right, you wont be duck walking or any of that jazz for the flight doc, you will be doing other fun stuff like getting an EKG, fasting blood test (no eating or drinking for 12 hours prior), possibly chest x-rays, getting a dental check, and going through anthro. also, the piss test isnt for drugs.

The good news is though that, at least a PCola, the docs are all pretty friendly and make a process that could be stressful pretty stress free.

Dont worry about it!

Deror

While Mike is right, you wont be duck walking or any of that jazz for the flight doc, you will be doing other fun stuff like getting an EKG, fasting blood test (no eating or drinking for 12 hours prior), possibly chest x-rays, getting a dental check, and going through anthro. also, the piss test isnt for drugs.

The good news is though that, at least a PCola, the docs are all pretty friendly and make a process that could be stressful pretty stress free.

Dont worry about it!
Sir if the piss test isn't for drugs (by drugs I am assuming you are also thinking of legal ones like creatine) then what are they looking for?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Sir if the piss test isn't for drugs (by drugs I am assuming you are also thinking of legal ones like creatine) then what are they looking for?

The piss test is specifically designed to check your urinary system (ie kidneys, etc..) to make sure you dont have any problems. They will check for things like blood, protein, ketone levels, etc. in your piss. Now, I have HEARD that things like protein shakes or creatine could cause something like protein levels to spike giving off a red flag in the results. Whether that is true or not, I really dont know. If you are concerned about it, then I would ween off your muscle building juice and allow it to leave your system before your physical.

I actually got an entire copy of my flight physical results back and from what I gathered, the actual drug testing seems to be conducted with the blood.

Feddoc could explain all of this better though. He is the expert here.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I just had another short form flight physical on Monday, my 16th flight physical since going active duty. The short forms are nothing. If it weren't for the wait time, it would take no more than an hour for everything. A hearing test, vision (distance/near, color, glaucoma, depth), hearing, one vile of blood, heart rate and see the doc. A bit more for a long form and a bit longer for your very first flight physical.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I just had another short form flight physical on Monday, my 16th flight physical since going active duty. The short forms are nothing. If it weren't for the wait time, it would take no more than an hour for everything. A hearing test, vision (distance/near, color, glaucoma, depth), hearing, one vile of blood, heart rate and see the doc. A bit more for a long form and a bit longer for your very first flight physical.

That is one thing that I am curious about is the differences in the different forms.

Thanks!

Python

pilot
Contributor
At my physical I had elevated levels of protein (officially "trace" amounts of protein in the urine) that set off a red flag. I had to do a 24 hour urine test to make them happy. I just made sure I was much more hydrated for that test and everything was perfect.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That is one thing that I am curious about is the differences in the different forms.

Thanks!

I'm obviously not a doc but the long forms are every 5 years and include more blood tests, an EKG and not sure what else. My very first physical at NAMI all those years ago included those things as well as a more thorough eye exam.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I'm obviously not a doc but the long forms are every 5 years and include more blood tests, an EKG and not sure what else. My very first physical at NAMI all those years ago included those things as well as a more thorough eye exam.

Thanks Bunk! Is the short form your annual?

Yankee Uniform Tango
Flight Physicals are just a painless version of MEPS. There's a lot of waiting, but the docs are good people and the tests are quick. The only times you have to do anything crazy-elaborate is if you're having difficulties with the basic stuff, e.g. popping your ears, maintaining balance, etc. or if they find something wrong with your x-ray/EKG/blood test, et.al.

Definitely hydrate A LOT, and don't drink alcohol and/or smoke 72 hours beforehand.