• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical before PRK?

MettGT

pilot
Yeah, that's what I was told.. Now, I just recieved a memo today from BUMED (via the recruiter) stating that I need to have another refraction test done (more in depth I was told) with stated correctability of each eye. I have an appointment tomorrow morning and I'm a bit nervous. Should I be or is this just another pre-OCS jitter?

BTW, I've been given a class date for OCS, but no final select date which is backwards from the normal way), and I'm a SNFO candidate. My first prescription (refrac test) was as follows:

Distance: Sphere: PL (Right), PL (Left); Cylinder: -1.00 (R), -1.00 (L); Axis: 080 (R), 075 (L). Under "Special Recommendations," UV Coating and Scratchcoat are checked.. Anyone know the meanings of these?!

I wouldn't say there's anything to be nervous about, since you can't really do anything other than get a good night's rest. You see what you see. ;)

As far as your prescription, the stuff about cylinder and axis is a measurement of astigmatism. The special recommendations are for glasses (ie it has a coat to block out UV rays and a coat to resist scratching).

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Just remember that the ONLY physical that counts is the NOMI physical after you report to Pensacola. Every other doctor you see can tell you you're good to go but then NOMI will NPQ you. I've seen it happen. I had a friend who passed ONE bladder stone at TBS. No big deal right? Well, NOMI saw that in his medical record and NPQ'd him on the spot. Not trying to scare anyone but that's how it is.

jmiller82

I have finished the eye/refraction exam and the doc said I was fine. He is a former flight surgeon/optometrist for the Navy, so he has a soft spot for aviators and explained a great deal of info to me.. My vision is 20/25, correctable to 20/20, although he said that while PRK is the Navy's preference in regards to corrective laser surgery, it almost isn't worth it to mess with a good thing and risk getting worse eyesight. As far as the prescription goes (for inquiring minds), the sphere refers to nearsighted or farsightedness (PL stands for plano or 0.00, which is perfect). Cylinder (as MettGT pointed out) is the measure of the astigmatism of the eye (-1.00 is the limit for SNA's, which I'm at). Axis refers to the angle at which the glasses need to be cut to catch light to correct the astigmastism, measured 1 to 180 in degrees (mine was at 080 and 075 respectively). All in all, it was a good learning session about vision. Now, it's off to submitting the paperwork for a waiver (I guess) back to CNRC for the medical officer (FS) to review.. Who knows how long that will take! Thanks for the help guys and good luck with the vision correction - hopefully I won't need it, but we'll see..