• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical before PRK?

MettGT

pilot
I've been dealing with the MGySgt at my OSO (apparently the OSO has been away doing something - I can't quite figure out what) and he said that he wants me to postpone my surgery, which is Aug 4, so I can be checked out by the Navy doc's down in Pensacola and at least be qualified as an NFO and get the ok to have my PRK done and then switch to an SNA. I've already taken the specifications for PRK from the NOMI website to my surgeon and he says I'm good to go. The MGySgt admits that he doesn't know much about PRK, but wants me to rethink my decision to have surgery a week from tomorrow. I think he's afraid I might not get waivered or something - I don't know why.

I feel that he's misinformed. Did anyone else have to take a flight physical before they got PRK? Or is this a bunch of bull? ...nothing like a little bit of doubt right before a life-changing surgery.

USMC SNA hopeful, by the way.

irishmc

don't go off my advice only since I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound right to me at all. I had a NFO contract, and switched to SNA without ever having a flight physical (in fact, I haven't even completed OCS yet). your OSO should be able to get you a NFO/SNA contract once the extent of your vision (problem) is documented, no flight physical necessary just to get the contract. you also do not need "permission" to get PRK done by flight surgeons, that I'm pretty damn sure of.

p.s. if any of this is wrong please chime in and educate

gdd05

You shouldn't have to get a physical before you get PRK. I already had a flight physical on record when I originally selected SNA (NROTC). However, They NPQ'ed me because I had some astigmatism. So I went out and got approval from my PNS to be a late commission, got the surgery, have another physical on 1 Aug, and play the waiting game while my waivers clear.

Just make sure you have permission to get the surgery (pre-op consults are usually free and you could show this to your OSO) and make sure that they are backing you up on the waiver process. The only reason a flight physical may help before the surgery is if your eyesight is boderline but on the right side of the fence.

MettGT

pilot
Yeah, I figured the MGySgt just wasn't up to speed on the whole process. No disrespect to the guy, but it seems he's an old school, don't trust anything you read on the internet, even if it's straight from the horse's mouth (NOMI). Now, I've just got to convince him that it'll be alright that I'm having the surgery, because it's not like I was going to be able to fly without it.

Scarface_F/L

OCC 193, here we go!
Just had the PRK last Oct. you might not get the chance to get it later, Do it, you will see better for the damn flight phys.

MettGT

pilot
I told him that I looked at all the angles and was going to go ahead and get it anyway. He said that was fine with him. So I'm all set for surgery on Friday. The only thing standing in the way right now is 2 finals I have to take tomorrow (Thursday).

MettGT

pilot
I got my custom PRK on Friday, and couldn't be happier with results. I only had minimal pain Saturday morning and haven't had any since. I went in this morning for my 3-day post-op and my doctor took off my contact bandages. I'm seeing about 20/30 in both eyes right now. Only one more night of sleeping in those dang eye shields.

scarfacekracker

My vision is currently 20/30 with a slight astigmatism. I am assuming that the astigmatism would prevent me from going SNA. What is everyones take on PRK in my situation?

MettGT

pilot
My vision is currently 20/30 with a slight astigmatism. I am assuming that the astigmatism would prevent me from going SNA. What is everyones take on PRK in my situation?

Honestly, I don't think a surgeon worth his salt would be willing to operate on someone with 20/30, but then again I'm not a doctor. It wouldn't hurt getting a consult from a surgeon - you can usually get those for free. Also, check out the NOMI waiver guide.

MettGT

pilot
anyone care to share some of their stats from before the surgery?

I was 20/200 with a prescription for -2.50 diopters in both eyes. I also had a slight astigmatism. I am currently 20/20 one week after my surgery and am amazed every morning that I can wake up and see without putting in contacts.

jmiller82

Honestly, I don't think a surgeon worth his salt would be willing to operate on someone with 20/30, but then again I'm not a doctor..

Yeah, that's what I was told.. Now, I just recieved a memo today from BUMED (via the recruiter) stating that I need to have another refraction test done (more in depth I was told) with stated correctability of each eye. I have an appointment tomorrow morning and I'm a bit nervous. Should I be or is this just another pre-OCS jitter?

BTW, I've been given a class date for OCS, but no final select date which is backwards from the normal way), and I'm a SNFO candidate. My first prescription (refrac test) was as follows:

Distance: Sphere: PL (Right), PL (Left); Cylinder: -1.00 (R), -1.00 (L); Axis: 080 (R), 075 (L). Under "Special Recommendations," UV Coating and Scratchcoat are checked.. Anyone know the meanings of these?!