• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Pay Changes

JackyB

Can't find increase for special pay info for Navy but hope this isn't what they are talking about.........

The Air Force is increasing monthly flight pay for both officers and enlisted air crew as part of a broader effort to hold on to valuable pilots.

In a gaggle with reporters Friday, Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson said that beginning Oct. 1, monthly Air Crew Incentive Pay — the new name for flight pay — will increase from $840 a month for officers to up to $1,000 a month.

On the enlisted side, maximum aircrew pay will go up from $400 monthly to $600 a month.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Can't find increase for special pay info for Navy but hope this isn't what they are talking about.........

The Air Force is increasing monthly flight pay for both officers and enlisted air crew as part of a broader effort to hold on to valuable pilots.

In a gaggle with reporters Friday, Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson said that beginning Oct. 1, monthly Air Crew Incentive Pay — the new name for flight pay — will increase from $840 a month for officers to up to $1,000 a month.

On the enlisted side, maximum aircrew pay will go up from $400 monthly to $600 a month.

That is what they are talking about. As far as I know, flight pay is standardized across the services. The $840 a month was for officers over 14 years of aviation service under the old system. Based on what I'm seeing here and on my LES, they've done away with that category and added an "Over 10" year category in its place, where the $1000/mo. flight pay starts.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So $840 in 2007 dollars is worth about $1000 this year. So that chunk is setting the clock back to about 2007.

$840 in 1999 dollars translates into more, like $1200-something, but since the raise is only to $1k then I can't say "party like it's 1999" like I was hoping. But you can party like it's 2007. Party on, dudes.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
So $840 in 2007 dollars is worth about $1000 this year. So that chunk is setting the clock back to about 2007.

$840 in 1999 dollars translates into more, like $1200-something, but since the raise is only to $1k then I can't say "party like it's 1999" like I was hoping. But you can party like it's 2007. Party on, dudes.
Is $1000 more than $840 though? Last time I checked it was.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
naturally he's making a point about inflation though
ozkom.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Oh, quit bragging. Devil's advocate here, but let's say I got hired at Hawaiian today. Assuming the market remains stable, how long will it take me to work my way up to your position and pay scale?
At 2nd year pay (FO) it’s 3 to 4 hours depending on aircraft. 3rd year it’s 2 to 3 hours.

By 5th year it’s an hour a 20 minutes as a A330 FO.

By the years required to get to the new high flight pay, you’d be at my pay level.

JackyB

Hey sevenhelmet,
Flight pay is not standardized. Due to AF pilot retention problems the AF Secretary increased the AF flight pay.
Navy flight pay did not change.:(

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So, with the April effective date, is this retroactive?

Attachments

• 8EAF9979-881D-41B5-A06E-E74BE9987A0D.png
    8EAF9979-881D-41B5-A06E-E74BE9987A0D.png
    235.6 KB · Views: 48

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey sevenhelmet,
Flight pay is not standardized. Due to AF pilot retention problems the AF Secretary increased the AF flight pay.

Really? I don't think that's true, at least up to this point, and I'd be surprised DFAS wouldn't have a breakdown by service like they do for Sea Pay. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the various bonus programs between the Navy and the AF? Those are not standardized, but in my short experience, I've always been under the impression ACIP, or "flight pay" has been the same across the DOD.

So, with the April effective date, is this retroactive?

I think everyone is wondering this same question! Though, it sounds way too good to be true.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Hey sevenhelmet,

This is coming from the DFAS website, and is based on changes in the military pay tables from 2017 and 2018. So if what you say is true, DFAS is being extremely misleading at best, and possibly violating some kind of statute at worst. I did not give this information to my entire wardroom based solely on an AW post.

I believe this increase does apply to USN, but I will be the first to run up the bullshit flag if it turns out not to be.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
My understanding, from posts in another forum: Navy has not yet approved increase to ACIP. Hoping to have it approved by Feb/Mar, no back pay.

I think what we're seeing on DFAS site (i.e., $1,000 over 10) are the MAX available, if approved by service.

What has me shaking my head is the poor job NPC/PERS has done communicating this. Shaking my head, but not surprised.