• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight hours in 44 different types of aircraft

In a naval aviator's bio I saw "over 3,100 flight hours in 44 different types of aircraft", over a 30 year career. 44 aircraft, incredible! Would someone please expand on how that takes place? It says "flight hours", so that's serving as part of the crew, not just catching rides as a passenger, correct? The aviator is a graduate of the Naval Test Pilot School, so perhaps many of those aircraft types were part of that duty?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
In a naval aviator's bio I saw "over 3,100 flight hours in 44 different types of aircraft", over a 30 year career. 44 aircraft, incredible! Would someone please expand on how that takes place? It says "flight hours", so that's serving as part of the crew, not just catching rides as a passenger, correct? The aviator is a graduate of the Naval Test Pilot School, so perhaps many of those aircraft types were part of that duty?

Go away WallyTheWhyCat

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You pretty much answered your own question. TPS Grads will fly a bunch of aircraft during TPS and their follow-up test tour(s). Add the pilot’s fleet aircraft and flight school aircraft, and it’s not out of the realm of the possible. That is a lot of different types, but I’m sure it’s been done. Do you have the bio handy?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, as a career Navy guy, my enlisted and officer flights include 12 different aircraft:
C-12, B-200, C-2A, UH-3A, T-34C, T-1, T-39N & G, EA-6B, S-3B, F-4, F/A-18F. This doesn’t included flying a friend’s Cessna or my other friend’s T-34A.

So, 44 as a test pilot isn’t that unusual.

Reactions: IKE

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Also, to be exact, that probably means 44 Type-Model or more likely Type-Model-Series (T/M/S).

I've flown H-60A,B,F,H,L,R,&S (7 TMS), but it's just 1 model, and every helicopter I've flown is the same type.

44 TMS sounds about right, especially if whoever it is did a 2nd test tour (as leadership) or was a CAG after TPS. I think I added 15 TMS to my logbook during my 48 weeks in TPS, and another few during my test tour, but I've never really counted. It is fun to see NATOPS Officers' heads spin when I check-in to a new squadron.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I'm a lightweight, I got about 1500 hours on KC 130 F/R's. I did take a nap in the front seat of a Cobra we hauled to Atsugi for rework. Navigator put me in for 2 hours on it, does that count?

GroundPounder

Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, CBE, DSC, AFC, Hon FRAeS had a pretty good run when it came to number of types.

220px-thumbnail.jpg

Brown held the world record for the most aircraft carrier deck take-offs and landings performed (2,407 and 2,271 respectively)[2] and achieved several "firsts" in naval aviation, including the first landings on an aircraft carrier of a twin-engined aircraft, an aircraft with a tricycle undercarriage, a jet aircraft, and a rotary-wing aircraft.

Brown flew almost every category of Royal Navy and Royal Air Force aircraft: glider, fighter, bomber, airliner, amphibian, flying boat and helicopter. During the Second World War, he flew many types of captured German, Italian, and Japanese aircraft, including new jet and rocket aircraft. He was a pioneer of jet technology into the postwar era.

Brown flew aircraft from Britain, the United States, Germany, the Soviet Union, Italy and Japan and is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as holding the record for flying the greatest number of different aircraft. The official record is 487, but includes only basic types. For example, Brown flew 14 versions of the Spitfire and Seafire and although these versions are very different they appear only once in the list. This list includes only aircraft flown by Brown as "Captain in Command".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, CBE, DSC, AFC, Hon FRAeS had a pretty good run when it came to number of types.

220px-thumbnail.jpg

Brown held the world record for the most aircraft carrier deck take-offs and landings performed (2,407 and 2,271 respectively)[2] and achieved several "firsts" in naval aviation, including the first landings on an aircraft carrier of a twin-engined aircraft, an aircraft with a tricycle undercarriage, a jet aircraft, and a rotary-wing aircraft.

Brown flew almost every category of Royal Navy and Royal Air Force aircraft: glider, fighter, bomber, airliner, amphibian, flying boat and helicopter. During the Second World War, he flew many types of captured German, Italian, and Japanese aircraft, including new jet and rocket aircraft. He was a pioneer of jet technology into the postwar era.

Brown flew aircraft from Britain, the United States, Germany, the Soviet Union, Italy and Japan and is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as holding the record for flying the greatest number of different aircraft. The official record is 487, but includes only basic types. For example, Brown flew 14 versions of the Spitfire and Seafire and although these versions are very different they appear only once in the list. This list includes only aircraft flown by Brown as "Captain in Command".

You don't say?!

This guy has flown 487 different aircraft and holds the Guinness Book world record.
;)