• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Demo of the latest Russian Fighter Jet

Angels

Contributor
Here's another e-mail I just got that I thought was pretty cool. Not sure how old it is. Below are some comments by French Aerodynamics Engineers.
  • How can the jet engines continue to turn, practically without air feed?
  • How the man and the machine can be held together during such a demonstration?
    Needs to be empty at his descent?
  • The smoke from the tips of the wings is only there to show the direction of the plane
  • As the smoke is released from the back, the plane is fast advancing.
  • As the plane is wrapped in smoke, it means that the plane is nearly suspended in the air.
  • The smoke and the smoke lines indicate the flight trajectory, sometimes in the opposite direction.
  • This Fighter Jet can "unhook" at high speed
  • Furthermore, it shows a capability to descend on its tail without causing a compressed unhooking.
  • It can also recover from a flat cirrus in less than a minute.
  • The handyness of this plane is astounding!
  • Its self pick-up is simply huge
  • Its manouvering abilities do not exist in any other aircraft at this time.
  • It is practically impossible to beat this plane in a duel.
  • Russia now has the best Fighter Jet in the world!
*Edit* Video wouldn't upload but I found a link for the video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/69832/russian_demo_flight/

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The linguistic and syntax errors (adjective/verb order) are not characteristic of a French speaker. I call shenanigans on the Russians.

Brett

Angels

Contributor
That may be true but to be fair the quotes were in french and translated (poorly?)

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Cool demo. I've seen the video before, never stops being cool. That thing in the right hands can turn inside its own asshole. Wonder how it'd compare to a Raptor or Rhino head to head.

Reconjoe

Seen this video too many times, always thought it showcased something that was "cool to watch", but otherwise useless...speaking with zero actual experience of course. I just don't see how combat effective a clean aircraft (read, not practically configured for a fight/war) slowing to a stop midair would be when:
A- I hear it's a BVR/Distance shooting war these days
B- If both are gun's only what's stopping the other guy from speeding off, building energy and coming around again now with more energy than that guy?

I'm sure Topgun 2 will make this the new Mig 27.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Disclaimer: i'm not a pointy nose guy. I'm sure one of those dudes will weigh in before long.

From what i've gathered in discussions with various pointy nose types from all different services and airframes, slow is the new fast. Being able to stop in mid air can have tactical advantages as can doing insanely short radius turns.

That about exhausts my knowledge of air to air combat.

I can, with great authority, tell you this about those cool maneuvers: they will do you no good in ASW.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
well, a gun is a good thing to bring to an engagement and the rooskie wifferdills should give a gun fighter a hard time but the mig is basically just staying in the same piece of sky. none of that stuff is gonna make a shooter with an all aspect aim-9 and helmet mounted sight perspire too much.

6856880727_b549c9fa8e.jpg

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Seen this video too many times, always thought it showcased something that was "cool to watch", but otherwise useless...speaking with zero actual experience of course. I just don't see how combat effective a clean aircraft (read, not practically configured for a fight/war) slowing to a stop midair would be when:
A- I hear it's a BVR/Distance shooting war these days
B- If both are gun's only what's stopping the other guy from speeding off, building energy and coming around again now with more energy than that guy?

As with everything in warfare, sometimes certain situations might mitigate your technological advantage and you have to fall back on the "fundamentals." There are lots of things that may be going on in the electronic spectrum that make a backup plan necessary.

As far as the BFM specifics regarding the maneuvers I'm not well versed enough in what's unclass and what's not to really add much. The Hornet has some pretty good nose authority of its own and some nifty demo videos out there.