• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Deck Disaster Averted

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If your question is: what would happen if a an aircraft came aboard with one of the wires still payed out from the previous aircraft? it would be bad... Not trying to be a jerk, but do not see why that would be really bad? What if you caught the wire that was still payed out?

Only one of two things could happen...either the arresting cable would snap; or, the tailhook assembly would fail (hook point break or mounting assy failure). Either a potential disaster for flight deck personnel/flight crew.

In one instance ashore, an A-4B in my Squadron, inadvertently engaged the airfield "short-field" arresting gear (early chain type) in the wrong direction, and it ripped his tailhook assy out by the roots, with severed hydraulic lines spewing fluid like a NYC Fireboat! Luckily, he got it stopped on the runway.
BzB

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like E6Bflyer, I've spent many recoveries as the arresting gear officer. This incident is a nightmare scenario and to have your own ship's company people cause the debacle is salt in the wound. I certainly don't know the particulars, but there are always communications challenges up on the flight deck. A likely scenario is the hook runner got the CDP unwedged from the catapult track, then signalled the retract. Because the CDP being crimped from getting caught in the track is possibly a downing gripe for the wire, the gear guys standing in the back wanted to check it out. If they didn't see the AGO and the forward yellow shirt (gear puller) clearing the deck, and then hyper-focusing on inspecting the wire, you witness the results. I might be off, and if that's the case, I'll STFU.

bad shit happens really quick. I'm betting some people are being re-qualified. It's hard work up there and people have the best intentions, but.....