• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Deck Disaster Averted

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've seen it but not sure how often. The ass chewing will depend on the situation as to why they crossed.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Is the "W" in the PLAT Cam footage indicative that someone (LSO?) hit the wave off lights?

Flugelman

Contributor
Lex covered this a couple of days ago over at his place. Looks like the deck was foul even before they started across. (Flashing F on the PLAT). But I'm just a know nuthin' P3 tube rat when it comes to this flight deck stuff.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's not like the pilot calls the deck foul.......I'm guessing even with UAV's there will still be paddles out on the platform (at least for other aircraft), and they only own the port foul line anyway

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Having stood many long hours in the gear pit, I have seen it happen probably half a dozen times, but only a couple of times this egregiously. Usually someone who steps across is immediately pulled back across the line and there is no need to red the deck. The Handler will get a piece of the offender's ass, have a few words with his supervisor, and may pull his flight deck qual for a couple of days. The AGO is looking forward for the most part, and he owns the switch that fouls the deck. Team LSO also has a spotter and they are very good about waving off in a foul deck situation like this one.

nugget61

pilot
Do they shoot the approach in the hopes that the deck will be clear when the plane arrives?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do they shoot the approach in the hopes that the deck will be clear when the plane arrives?

Sure, very often Paddles will call "Foul deck, keep her coming..." to keep you on your toes for a possible waveoff.
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
I’m ashamed to say that I actually caused a wave off. I usually worked the cat area while on Det so I never really went aft during ops. I’m minding my own business (up forward) when I was sent back to the chain locker for a bag of chains. (Ain’t my job, so what go get 'em.) Off I went and dutifully waited for Paddles to wave me across the deck. That was the easy part I was running so fast I was only three feet tall, made it across in record time, scrambled down the ladder to the chain locker and snagged a bag of chains. This damned bag of chains weighed just about as much as I did (remember now I was 18 and weighed 145 pounds) I managed to get them to the deck and stood there waiting for Paddles to wave me back across. He motions, I start across carrying this bag of chains, when I dropped the bag and chains went everywhere. Meanwhile I look up to see a plane in the grove… some pour guy got a wave off because of me.

Steve

(BTW BzB… The Tastykakes and the McCutcheons preserves are in the mail. You Frederick guys eat your hearts out.)

jmcquate

Contributor
I saw vid of one were the guilty Brownshirt was summoned to Pri-fly to have a discussion with the Air Boss........ouch.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I've got the "safety gram" from the LSO School. Good read with some surprising / alarming facts. Hanging on for a few more days to make sure its okay to post it here.

Flugelman

Contributor
I've got the "safety gram" from the LSO School. Good read with some surprising / alarming facts. Hanging on for a few more days to make sure its okay to post it here.
It's out in a reply over @ Lex's place. Lemme know and I can post the link.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
From LSO School, names have been removed as well as some more specific Paddles lessons learned at the end:

"...While some may question whether LSOs are actually saving lives on a regular basis out on the platform, the pad- dles cadre from CVW-5 went a long way to erase any doubt during a day recovery last week. Here is a summary of the incident from the CVN-73 Air Boss, CDR XXX XXXXX:

During a Case I recovery, an F/A-18E was in the approach turn when the Cross Deck Pendant (CDP) wire caught by the previous aircraft dropped into the catapult track slot during the retract. The hook runner released the CDP from the track slot and signaled the deck edge operator to fully retract the wire to the battery position for the next aircraft (the F/A-18E in the approach turn). Once the landing area was clear, the Arresting Gear Officer (AGO) and Gear Puller exchanged hand signals that the deck was clear. This allowed the Landing Signal Officers to transition from the 100 foot to the 10 foot window. This transition occurred just as the next aircraft approached the 100 foot wave off window. Just as the AGO was prepared to switch the deck status light to green, the AGO saw the Safety Deck Checker and Deck Checker unexpectedly entering the landing area. The AGO and the Landing Signal Officers simultaneously noticed the situation and the LSOs were able to wave off the incoming aircraft.

Note the screen shot (click here for video) captured approximately 1.5 seconds after the LSOs hit the wave off lights:

Despite the fact that an incoming Super Hornet was only a few short seconds from touching down, both of the two flight deck crewman continued into the landing area to inspect the CDP. PLAT footage shows the aircraft‟s hook point just barely missing the two crewman. Eyewitnesses estimated the clearance to be no more than five to six feet.

From the CVN-73 Air Department, the following three problems were identified:

1.The Topside Petty Officer Failed to communicate intentions to Primary.
2.The Arresting Gear Topside Petty Officer and the Deck Checkers failed to signal their intentions to enter the Landing Area to the Arresting Gear Officer.
3.Neither the Safety Deck Checker nor the Deck Checker looked aft for approaching aircraft prior to entering the landing area or while standing in the landing area.

While the AGO did an outstanding job in announcing “Foul Deck, Foul Deck” over the Hydra and releasing the switch that allows the deck lights to go green, the LSOs initiated an immediate wave off because the LSO calling the deck immediately saw the crewmen run into the Landing Area and yelled to the Controlling, Backup, and CAG LSOs that the deck had gone foul inside the 100 foot wave off window..."

jmcquate

Contributor
What would have been the results of Rhino making a pass with a possable unsucured arresting wire?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
If your question is: what would happen if a an aircraft came aboard with one of the wires still payed out from the previous aircraft? it would be bad... Not trying to be a jerk, but do not see why that would be really bad? What if you caught the wire that was still payed out?

VERY generally speaking: when the gear is fully retracted (sitting parallel to others and perpendicular to centerline) and the appropriate resistance setting is dialed in, this is called being "in battery". The gear is ready to be engaged by the next aircraft's hook.