• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Contract Questions

Dougemd

Well, I've passed everything and January is when my OSO wants me to sign the application before the February selection board meeting. My father retired USMC from vietnam wants me to have a civilian prior JAG officer look over my application and possibly have changes made. I can understand his perspective coming from a time of draft and a different military back then. However, is it even possible to have my contract changed? I mean its very straight forward basically you have 92 months after OCS and TBS you fail at API or primary and you get the 4 month deal instead. Ohh yeah and if the President feels like it my contract will end later. Basically the gov't owns my ass. I'm fine with that and I don't think "I'm an individual and unique snow flake". Anyway thoughts on this would be much appreciated as my father got the thoughts turning in my head about the contract.

THANKS!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
The contracts are pretty standard. Meaning, I think EVERY one signs the same thing...the difference being those with air contracts sign an air contract, those without don't. There's no bargaining. Just ensure that you understand what it is you are signing (sounds like you've got a decent grasp on that already---although, don't you mean the "4 year deal"?). If you attrite out of flight school, you serve a 4 year commitment instead of the 8 year flight commitment. The 8 year commitment BEGINS the day you wing, not commissioning date. So this ends up being more like a 9-11 year commitment.

KBayDog

Having a prior JAG (or anyone with a few years of military experience) review your contract with you is probably a good idea, since it will allow a "neutral party" to explain to you what everything means. The contracts are written in fairly plain English, with very little "legalese." The "neutral party" will be able to point you towards the governing statutes/orders/directives if anything is unclear. Now, will you be able to make changes? Don't hold your breath on that one. Remember, there are 100 other candidates who would gladly take your place if the standard contract is not good enough. Like Boomer said, though, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what you are getting into.

One of the things that has always chapped my ass is when someone says, "My recruiter lied to me!" or "Why doesn't the government hold up ITS end of the contract?" Well, when I was 17 and signing page after page and Statement of Understand after Statement of Understanding, I actually took the time to read what I was signing. I knew full-well that I was signing an 8-year enlistment contract - the same 4-year active, 4-year INACTIVE contract that everyone else signed. I knew full-well that my service could be extended indefinitely during periods of national emergency. Hell, there was even a part of the contract that said, essentially, "I am guaranteed NOTHING except what is written in this contract." When I was accepted to MECEP, I read and understood all orders/directives before I signed and raised my right hand. When I was accepted to flight training, I clearly understood that I am obligated to six years after winging as a rotary pilot.

The contracts/SOUs were all in plain English, written so that a kid with a New Jersey public school education could understand them.

Whew - why did I get up at 0500 again?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Like KBay said, just read the contract as you sign it. It's in plain english and you'll be able to undertsnd it if you take a little time to look it over.

I did not when I signed and have had a few surprises 2 and a half years later because I was stupid and flew through the thing. Looking at it now, it's all right there, I just didn't read it. Good Luck and Semper Fi, Doc

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd hold out and see if he could write in a guarantee of jets...

baryon

jboomer said:
Just ensure that you understand what it is you are signing (sounds like you've got a decent grasp on that already---although, don't you mean the "4 year deal"?). If you attrite out of flight school, you serve a 4 year commitment instead of the 8 year flight commitment. The 8 year commitment BEGINS the day you wing, not commissioning date. So this ends up being more like a 9-11 year commitment.

So if you attrite from anything (after TBS) it's a 4 *year* commitment, right? Not 4 months? And they'll send you to whatever MOS they want, am I correct? (They = USMC).

And what happens if you attrite/fail (not that it's even remotely an option) from TBS?

Thanks, these are questions all my relatives/friends want to know as well.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yes, 4 years where ever they want. From TBS, I think it's just a discharge. No further obligation.

usmcecho4

pilot
Correct. Getting kicked from TBS usually results in an administrative separation (basically "You're fired!"). Depending on what you did the process can take days to months. Ex1: Lt married enlisted boyfriend (gone in a week) Ex2: Lt is a dirtbag they have a lot of boards and then kick (M Co for 6+ months)

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Yes, they will stick you wherever the need might be strongest, but you get to submit a list of preferences first. Of course, there is no guaruntee, but they will try to help if they can. My old roomate just attrited from IFS, of all things, and he got his first choice of MOS (tanks). On the other hand, a friend of mine got dropped from API and was stuck in Aviation Supply wanting any type of combat arms. Like most things, luck and the needs of the Corps will play significant factors. I guess thats why they always say you should want to be an officer of Marines above all. Good luck...

batman527

Banned
I just signed my air contract with my OSO. It's a take it or leave it deal. You've got the facts right, If you're cool with it sign it, the Corps isn't going to let you change it.