• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flat Feet

Bevo16

pilot
bevo, we can only assume you came in in a small year group and "we needed the dues".:icon_tong

I don't know what the deal was. I enlisted in 1995, did the MEPS duck walk with no problems, never had foot pain (because of my custom inserts that I have had since I was 15), so I never brought it up.

I got an ROTC scholarship after being enlisted for 2 years, so maybe I skated past the physical that was designed to weed those of us with the "flat foot gene" from the pool of potential aviators. Jokes on them I guess.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Got new shoes along with 'Superfeet' inserts at a store called Fleetfeet the other day. No more ankle pain, thanks for all of the help.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
how is fleetfeet? I've heard of it but haven't moseyed over to the one in Corpus yet. Are the prices decent for a running store, and do they do any actual fitting or is it just a glorified foot locker?

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Cannot comment on prices as I have no real idea how much running shoes should or should not cost. The shoes I ended up getting were $100, which is about 200$ cheaper then getting custom made shoes(Foot Levelers were what I had).

As far as fitting goes, the sales associate took my foot measurements both standing up and sitting down. Next he put me on the treadmill for a minute and evaluated how I ran via video, wearing a pair of 'neutral shoes'(shoes from the store that do nothing to correct for the way you run). Then he went to the back and got me three different pairs of shoes. I tried on each pair and ran around the parking lot with each. After that he went and got a half-size smaller for me, which I tried on and ended up buying.

Fetter

Try a running store first - I did that and new shoes stopped my shin splints while taking about 20 seconds off my mile in the first wearing. Mizunos are expensive but totally worth it.

It is funny how new shoes tend to do that. Not saying that properly fitted ones don't actually improve your stride, but I wonder how much the placebo effect works to the advantage. I got some spiffy new balance ones last year and ran ~30sec faster per mile. I think they might have made me jump higher too... They aren't new anymore though, so it is probably about time for a boost again.

Does anyone have a recommendation among new balance stability, brooks beast, and mizunos? (Anyone who has tried them all by chance)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
It is funny how new shoes tend to do that. Not saying that properly fitted ones don't actually improve your stride, but I wonder how much the placebo effect works to the advantage. I got some spiffy new balance ones last year and ran ~30sec faster per mile. I think they might have made me jump higher too... They aren't new anymore though, so it is probably about time for a boost again.

Does anyone have a recommendation among new balance stability, brooks beast, and mizunos? (Anyone who has tried them all by chance)

I've worn NB, Brooks, and right now I have Mizuno Waves. I wish I had stuck with Brooks. I hate NB and always thought it was a terrible fit for me after getting it. Brooks have more motion control than Mizuno in my opinion. They're pricier but you can get them cheap at the exchange and sometimes cheaper online.

I went to a running store to get fitted and then I go buy somewhere else for cheaper. I feel like scum doing it but I save like 20-30 bucks doing it.

I suggest Brooks. Mizunos are not bad and a cheaper alternative but I definitely liked my old Brooks more.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
i have flat feet and a pretty pronounced over pronation when i run.

i got some of the motion control, arch support, yadda yadda shoes once and they about killed my feet. it hurt so bad to run in them that i threw them out after only wearing them for like a month. now i have shoes with little arch support and they are great! :D

Fetter

I just picked up some brooks beasts w/superfeet blue insoles...I'll see how they do. So far they feel pretty good.

MettGT

pilot

Honestly, it really depends on the person and the fit of the shoe. Everyone's feet are different and only you are going to know what works best for you.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
i have flat feet and a pretty pronounced over pronation when i run.

i got some of the motion control, arch support, yadda yadda shoes once and they about killed my feet. it hurt so bad to run in them that i threw them out after only wearing them for like a month. now i have shoes with little arch support and they are great! :D

The bad shoes.....did you buy them off the shelf or have them fitted?

Fetter

I just picked up some brooks beasts w/superfeet blue insoles...I'll see how they do. So far they feel pretty good.

Well, after running about 10 miles in them thus far, I am quite pleased. I have been using them without the superfeet insoles for the time being; I'm recovering from foot surgery so my doctor recommended not using anything for a while. I almost think putting any more arch support in the beast could be overkill. No blisters, good stability, but it takes a bit of time for acclimation. They breathe really well too. I think I'll be taking these w/ me to OCS.

euclid83

FS SNA
The pain you describe doesnt sound arch related, it sounds like you may have shin splints. If you just started running you should take it slow, and not increase your mileage by more than 10% each week. You should also stretch for about 10-15 minutes after EVERY run.