• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FLASH: Confidence Shattered

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We can't either. My class needs to get a bunch of sims in very very quickly or we miss out on our winging flight slot.

That's really rough. You might have to slide to the right a week or three. The horror.

Keep in mind that there are many sim instructors around the country who aren't getting paid at all, now. No back pay (they're not GSs) and no current income. One chapter of how this is affecting people far more than those of us who are still getting our paycheck every 2 weeks.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... Until the proposed bill is passed and signed into law I won't count on the furloughed feds being paid.

No problem, President Obama has promised furloughed folk that they would be paid, retro, but understand your skepticism. Many amongst us think he has broken many promises. Debit ceiling may be another issue, to wit, then Senator Obama voted against raising the debt ceiling saying to do so would be unpatriotic given our enormous debt.

Shutdown is a hell of a way to manage a budget. In the last 4 or 5 years a complete budget has not been passed. Time after time, CR passed, to avoid shutdown, pitiful. My only interest/point is that leadership should not twist the tails of already stressed employees by claiming emphatically that they will not be paid, as if they saw some magical holograph in a time card. One loses their credibility quickly in such ill advised pronouncements.

I was involved with, lost count, about 12 "shutdowns". The "big one" 95/96 was different yet almost identical to this shutdown. As CIO, in Commerce with about 147 employees, I designated 15 as "essential". I told everyone the truth that there was a possibility they would not be paid but based on past experience they would be made whole, albeit possibly with delays. I was chastised, Political Leadership wanted every one to be told they absolutely would not be paid. Max pain = max benfit = max pressure on opposition.

With that I went skiing in Aspen for two weeks. No leave taken, had a pager (remember those) and got paid for it, even locality pay for WashDC Metro, not Colorado. Unfair, yes, wasteful, yes.

PS. The 800 pound gorilla in the room will be the 2014 sequester, in my humble opinion.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
PS. The 800 pound gorilla in the room will be the 2014 sequester, in my humble opinion.

Absolutely. And word on the street is we'll start to pay the price for it in FY-14 from a readiness level.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No problem, President Obama has promised furloughed folk that they would be paid, retro, but understand your skepticism. Many amongst us think he has broken many promises......

I didn't realize it was the President's responsibility to pass the budget, I thought I read a document that said something else in civics class.......

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely. And word on the street is we'll start to pay the price for it in FY-14 from a readiness level.

In the words of one COCOM Commander, "FY14 is going to be a lot worse than FY13, only in FY15 will things not get worse unless the sequester gets changed."

JackyB

POTUS is head of the party that is refusing to pass any part of the budget. The majority leader in the Senate where all of this is hung up has refused to pass a budget for the last 4 going on five years. So it is true that POTUS doesn't pass the budget, but he can surely thwart its passage in the house in which his party controls. In his efforts to make the ACA more acceptable to certain factions he has granted delays ( waivers) in implementation contrary to the legislation. He now would like those unauthorized delays (waivers) legitimized by passing a modified continuing budget resolution that includes the changes he has made to the legislation.

Wherever you politics lie or loyalty resides these are the facts. So if you approve go with it. If not oppose it. Either way, we as Mongo says "are pawns in the game of life".

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
POTUS is head of the party that is refusing to pass any part of the budget. The majority leader in the Senate where all of this is hung up has refused to pass a budget for the last 4 going on five years. So it is true that POTUS doesn't pass the budget, but he can surely thwart its passage in the house in which his party controls. In his efforts to make the ACA more acceptable to certain factions he has granted delays ( waivers) in implementation contrary to the legislation. He now would like those unauthorized delays (waivers) legitimized by passing a modified continuing budget resolution that includes the changes he has made to the legislation.

Wherever you politics lie or loyalty resides these are the facts. So if you approve go with it. If not oppose it. Either way, we as Mongo says "are pawns in the game of life".
The POTUS submits a budget outline (well, he probably has someone do it for him, but it comes from his administration) and has final signature/veto authority on the budget. There's a snowball's chance in hell that the required 2/3 majority to override a veto will agree when they can't even get a simple majority to pass an original bill.

He's taking a hard line because the GOP wants to mess with his baby, the ACA. Even if the goals of the GOP are now fairly reasonable, that's his legacy right there and barring a landslide Republican Congressional victory in 2014 giving them enough of a majority to override a veto, no one is going to be able to do anything about it until he's out of office.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
In the words of one COCOM Commander, "FY14 is going to be a lot worse than FY13, only in FY15 will things not get worse unless the sequester gets changed."

I heard it differently. From a 2 star on the forces side and a 3 star on the installation side: FY-14 is going to be bad, FY-15 is going to be worse.

I got a look at my FY-14 OPTAR ON 28 SEP, it looks very close to my FY-13 number.

Of course that was before the shutdown....

BUDU

That's really rough. You might have to slide to the right a week or three. The horror.

Keep in mind that there are many sim instructors around the country who aren't getting paid at all, now. No back pay (they're not GSs) and no current income. One chapter of how this is affecting people far more than those of us who are still getting our paycheck every 2 weeks.

More like two months. And I'm definitely aware there are those who are worse off. Still doesn't mean it's fun.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator

The time to "oppose it" has passed. Facts are that the ACA is law. It was passed by one branch, signed by another and found Constitutional by a third. The prez ran on it twice, and easily won both times. You have an issue with a law, use the legislative process, don't cause heartache for Federal employees in a Quixotic bid to undermine it. And the party that shut down the government has started moving on from it being about ACA, which should tell you how much to take them seriously.

The idea that one small faction of one of our two parties would negatively affect the US economy, costing us millions per day is insane.
And this is not about the Dems or the Pres-it's about fighting within the GOP.

Also, passing a modified CR makes sense, not for "legitimizing", but because the numerous changes made (most with bipartisan support), have changed funding requirements.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The time to "oppose it" has passed. Facts are that the ACA is law. It was passed by one branch, signed by another and found Constitutional by a third. The prez ran on it twice, and easily won both times. You have an issue with a law, use the legislative process, don't cause heartache for Federal employees in a Quixotic bid to undermine it. And the party that shut down the government has started moving on from it being about ACA, which should tell you how much to take them seriously.

The idea that one small faction of one of our two parties would negatively affect the US economy, costing us millions per day is insane.
And this is not about the Dems or the Pres-it's about fighting within the GOP.

Also, passing a modified CR makes sense, not for "legitimizing", but because the numerous changes made (most with bipartisan support), have changed funding requirements.

First, the president won both times because enough people thought that Obamacare meant free health insurance. It was strategically not implemented until his second term. People are just now figuring out how high the rates are for the government option since the prices were finally released this week, and they're generally not happy about it. Turns out that their concept of "poverty" is not the same as Uncle Sam's.

Secondly, the Republicans took over the House precisely because Obamacare was unpopular in many districts.

Finally, Obama modified the law on his own with no input from Congress since it was signed in 2011. Last I checked, he's not supposed to be able to do that. He unilaterally delayed the employer mandate.

The only things the last bill passed by the House, passed on Sep 30, did to Obamacare is delay the individual mandate to coincide with the employer mandate, repeal Congressional subsidies, and repeal the extra medical supply tax. It didn't de-fund Obamacare at all, nor would it prevent the executive branch from proceeding with creating the government option. This resolution was rejected by the Senate strictly along party lines. The latest resolution is wrongfully being reported by many media outlets as "delaying the implementation of Obamacare for a year." If the Democrats had any sense in them, they would have supported this plan because the executive branch is way behind in creating the infrastructure required to support the new law, but they think playing politics and standing firm is more important.

So basically the GOP in the House moved from its original position on Sep 20 to completely defund Obamacare, to a fairly reasonable bill that the Democrats refuse to even talk about, probably because they're being told by the administration and Democrat party leaders not to put POTUS into the awkward position of signing a bill that un-does his executive orders or vetoing the budget outright.

If the GOP wanted to play politics, they should hang back and watch this abomination of a law blow up in the Democrat's face. But that would be a lot worse for Americans than a couple weeks of paid vacation for GSes and closing down some national parks.

In the meantime, congrats John Q. Public on having a new mandatory $500+/mo bill to pay for insurance that covers half your medical costs, even if you only make $9/hour, and your employer is cutting your hours so he doesn't have to provide an alternative.

PS: Let's also not forget that we wouldn't be in this silly situation 3 years in a row if the President didn't sign that sequestriation bill into effect in 2011.

Last edited: