• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First VMGR-152 KC-130J arrives at Okinawa

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
070604-M-1145B-016_low.jpg

VMGR-152 received their first KC-130J on 4 June

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Amazing their still building that airframe, how many years later? The C-130 is going to out live everyone on this forum.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Wonder if this was their first "new" J from here at Marietta (Heard from a 252 pilot that they were giving 152 their first J)?

East

东部
Contributor
Piss on it

Another flightcrew member lost due to innovation...

Attachments

• c-130J FE.jpg
    c-130J FE.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 74

Flugelman

Contributor
C-130 History

An excellent history of the development of the Hercules is "The Long Arm of America" by Martin Caidin. Caidin (1927 - 1997) has long been one of my favorite aviation authors.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
last i looked 352 still had some old non-J's. i distinctly remember being very intimidated by a 4 bladed prop wen tanking.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
last i looked 352 still had some old non-J's. i distinctly remember being very intimidated by a 4 bladed prop wen tanking.

I think they finally made the full transition to the J a few months ago.

Anyone in the VMGR community know if 234/452 will get the J's or hold tight with their T's?

GaugeNeeded

Carolina MAGTF
It's been a long time since we have seen anything other the J out in the Cherry Point area. All the aircrew members I know feel the same way East does too.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I've posted this before... but about 18 months ago I got a ride in the CANG C-130J out of NAS Pt. Mugu.

Pretty sweet glass cockpit and HUD system. I was really impressed with all of its capabilities. As already mentioned, the loadmaster moves up to the cockpit; no more Navigators.

propwash

seems most jet avatars aren't even pilots yet
pilot
Maybe in USAF crew concept, since I think their J models have the cargo load computer thing the USMC did not buy or need, but on the USMC KJ, the Loadmaster's station(s) are behind the 245 where they have always been. The Crew Chief rides up front at the augment crew station, as it is called.

Rumors abound abou 452/234. But the fleet commonality would be nice. 252 was originally going to send an aircraft to 152 in order to speed things up. Who knows if that will still happen.

So far it is a good aircraft. The hours, missions, and beatings the USMC aircraft have gotten for being deployed non-stop in Iraq since Feb 05 has so far validated the capabilities of the aircraft and crew concept.

Food for thought...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Ah, the KC-130J: Death of the DASC (A). If only they had just planned for the UYQ-3B power supply plugs....

propwash

seems most jet avatars aren't even pilots yet
pilot
They musy have had a former herc pilot lose those electrical schematics during the redesign... apparently orbiting for ten hours while some dudes in a box in your plane do their thing is not as fun as it sounds... So far that is the only operational "shortcoming" of the J, which has done remarkable well in all other missions so far, comparatively speaking. And so far the loss of DASC(A) has not been missed operationally, though one day it proabbly will... then they'll jumpt through their butts to find a quick fix aside from LCpl Smith on the bench with a headset and log book doing radio relay for DASC on the ground...