• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First spin = Airsick. What's next?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
First spin today for this ENS. The procedures and recovery aren't bad, but after the third one I passed the controls and proceeded to revisit the smokeshack brisket sandwich with my side of dirty rice and beans I had an hour and a half earlier. I have been passively sick just about every flight until now. My question for some of the guys/gals who have had the pukes in primary is... how long did it take for you to feel normal again? We did spins pretty early on and once I started getting sick it never got better. I hear some people puke and are good to go. I am NOT that person. The IP wanted to head home and call it a day but I asked to complete the flight and get the X. Thankfully he obliged and we did some low work and finished up.

We landed 3 hours ago and I still feel like ass.

I've only puked once (and it was in IFS---yeah yeah, I know) but I was out of it for the rest of the flight. It's hard to focus after that.

It's still cool in Corpus right now. Just wait until the summer when it's up around 100 and the A/C units start to shit themselves. Not a good time.

The Phiz

pilot
First spin today for this ENS. The procedures and recovery aren't bad, but after the third one I passed the controls and proceeded to revisit the smokeshack brisket sandwich with my side of dirty rice and beans I had an hour and a half earlier. I have been passively sick just about every flight until now. My question for some of the guys/gals who have had the pukes in primary is... how long did it take for you to feel normal again? We did spins pretty early on and once I started getting sick it never got better. I hear some people puke and are good to go. I am NOT that person. The IP wanted to head home and call it a day but I asked to complete the flight and get the X. Thankfully he obliged and we did some low work and finished up.

I am actually just finishing up the 4100 block. I got massively airsick when the Instructor Demo'd the Spin/STS (as in puked, took the controls to push.... passed controls to puke again, and was face in a bag all the way back Home.) Then I did the spin myself in 4102, and felt 'off', but the spin went really well, and in 4103, i was actually looking outside after verifying AOA AS and TN, still felt a little weird after the pullout, but much better than the first time. Same thing happened with my on 4001. Got sick, then was fine through BI's. I think I got sick on the spin, because I flew once a month for 3 months then did a spin. (Yay for no airplanes!)

Oh, and when I got sick on the Spin/STS, I felt like a bag of ass all day after. I passed out when I got home, and woke up still feeling like crap. It sucked. My rituals are: Ginger when I wake up (don't know if it helps), and a good meal (If early AM flight, I have dry granola or something right before the brief), sipping water the whole time (pretaxi, runup, CR out) The biggest thing for me is what everyone has said. The more concentrated you are on flying, the less you are thinking "Am I gonna boot?"

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
The IP wanted to head home and call it a day but I asked to complete the flight and get the X. Thankfully he obliged and we did some low work and finished up.

I've only gotten sick while flying once (no, not when Kmac bet that he could get me sick on the first flight of primary, because that was weak), and it was in advanced while sitting in the back of the T-44. I got sick while my partner was doing his high work. When he was done with his high work, we headed to Cabaniss to get our pattern work in and I thought I would be able to hop in the seat and be fine, that was not the case. We ended up doing one pass and then me telling the IP that I had gotten sick and felt feel like crap. I got a below mif on headwork for that day just for getting in the seat and not telling him. He said he would have just called it a day if he had known and I wouldn't have even got in the seat.

It was strange for me since I had over 1,000 hrs. in the back of a COD (if you've ever been in the back of one on a hot, sitting backwards, landing on the boat, with all the fuel fumes coming in the cabin, you know what I'm talking about) and had made it through Primary with no problems, then first flight in a T-44, Yak!

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I could barely think.

As far as the getting sick part I'm sure you will be fine. The not being able to think part can be fixed with some good old chairflying. Memorize and recite outload all procedures required to get out of the spin until you can say it from memory faster than you can actually do it. In the plane take it step by step, but if you can force the procedures into your brain stem you will naturally be staying ahead of the airplane during the spin. For OCF in andvanced you will most likely be asked to recite the procedure quickly and for some instructors, if they could understand what you were saying it was too slow.

GO out and Drink and explore the other ways to make yourself sick.