• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First move and many more

speedroller

Rangers
http://www.move.mil/

Note that the Navy won't pay for your storage unit unless you're moving overseas. If you're trying to cover your living expenses on an Ensign salary maybe divesting yourself of non-paid off toys would be a good idea.
I scoped out the site and found the weight allowance for O-1 with dependents is 12k pounds. If I move my own stuff using Uhaul or similar moving service, would I get reimbursed based on weight, given I don't exceed the limit?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I scoped out the site and found the weight allowance for O-1 with dependents is 12k pounds. If I move my own stuff using Uhaul or similar moving service, would I get reimbursed based on weight, given I don't exceed the limit?
Yes, but you'd have to "pay" by doing all the work yourself which sucks an awful lot. You can still get reimbursed for what used to be called a partial DITY which basically means getting paid for all the crap you're going to put in to your car anyways. In my opinion doing a fully DITY isn't worth the money you "make" as you still have to spend your time and effort to make it happen. Sometimes with limited time between moves that can be a challenge and it's a lot easier to let someone else do all the work while you handle all the other stuff you'll have on your plate (kids, wife, leases, buying a house, checking out, en route training, etc).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any leads on where I can find out more on this? I rather not have a storage unit, I'll be pulling both of us on my salary while in Pensacola, unless my wife can find somewhere to work. You would think an MBA grad can find a job easily, not so much.

If you really want to keep a few toys like you motorcycles and maybe a few other things I would seriously consider storage at least as long as you are in flight training. It is not unusual to end up moving up to 5 or 6 times in 3-4 years by the time you get to your fleet squadron and hauling around some big toys like your bikes and tools could get to be a real pain in the ass. I know a few guys who did do that but it always took a lot of planning and work on their part, something my lazy ass is less willing to do, and I also know guys who did sell stuff and then regretted it too.

Storing some big stuff that you really like might be a happy medium that frankly wouldn't cost much in the long term if you are willing to consider it, especially if you shop around (storage places 30-50 miles from me cost half as much since they are further from downtown DC for example) and when you get to your fleet squadron you can pick your toys up and enjoy!

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you really want to keep a few toys like you motorcycles and maybe a few other things I would seriously consider storage at least as long as you are in flight training. It is not unusual to end up moving up to 5 or 6 times in 3-4 years by the time you get to your fleet squadron and hauling around some big toys like your bikes and tools could get to be a real pain in the ass. I know a few guys who did do that but it always took a lot of planning and work on their part, something my lazy ass is less willing to do, and I also know guys who did sell stuff and then regretted it too.

Storing some big stuff that you really like might be a happy medium that frankly wouldn't cost much in the long term if you are willing to consider it, especially if you shop around (storage places 30-50 miles from me cost half as much since they are further from downtown DC for example) and when you get to your fleet squadron you can pick your toys up and enjoy!
Mom and Dad's garage/shed/backyard might also be an option depending on your family dynamics. I stored a bunch of high value stuff in my in-laws' basement when I went overseas.

speedroller

Rangers
All good advice, however, I think I will opt to sell my toys for time being. The hassle of moving, storing is not something I want to deal with. Plus cash is cash.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
During the early days especially, get rid of as much as you can, especially if it is generally replaceable. Also, don't bother buying anything nice. The gouge the movers put in your coffee table hurts a lot less when it is Ikea, rather than some custom solid wood piece of art. All of my friends have grown up furniture, while we decorate in the Early Dorm Room style.

Mom and Dad's garage/shed/backyard might also be an option depending on your family dynamics. I stored a bunch of high value stuff in my in-laws' basement when I went overseas.

My parents stored 5 cases of liquor for us. There was a slight problem with "evaporation", aka the Angel-Parents' share, but other than that, it worked quite well!

speedroller

Rangers
During the early days especially, get rid of as much as you can, especially if it is generally replaceable. Also, don't bother buying anything nice. The gouge the movers put in your coffee table hurts a lot less when it is Ikea, rather than some custom solid wood piece of art. All of my friends have grown up furniture, while we decorate in the Early Dorm Room style.
Perfect, all we pretty much have is Ikea furniture, my wife's favorite.

Wahine

Most of my classmates don't have a whole lot of stuff so I asked them if they wanted to just throw it in the Penske that I'm renting because they are all getting their furniture there. Most of my classmates just have a bed and stuff and their getting rid of it before they leave. Their just bringing their clothes really. For myself on the other hand, I have been living off-campus for the last 3 years so I have already acquired at least enough furniture for a small apartment. I know it's going to be a pain to move all the time, but I do love my motorcycles and I know they will keep me quit happy with all that studying hahaha.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Most of my classmates don't have a whole lot of stuff so I asked them if they wanted to just throw it in the Penske that I'm renting because they are all getting their furniture there. Most of my classmates just have a bed and stuff and their getting rid of it before they leave. Their just bringing their clothes really. For myself on the other hand, I have been living off-campus for the last 3 years so I have already acquired at least enough furniture for a small apartment. I know it's going to be a pain to move all the time, but I do love my motorcycles and I know they will keep me quit happy with all that studying hahaha.
Should probably let your classmates know that they could be reimbursed for moving that stuff in their own cars and that instead you'll be getting that money.

The benefits of having a healthy hobby during flight school (and the rest of life) can't be overstated.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Hi, recent pro Y sna. My wife and I are planning for the big move after OCS. For those who had a lot of "toys", cars, motorcycles, atv's etc., is it a good idea to downsize? Both, for instant savings account growth and reduction of liability and distraction while at flight school?

It's just two of us, typically renting 3 -4 bedroom houses. With two successful careers and incomes, we've gathered "stuff" over the years.

My goal is to keep a bedroom, living room and office set. Everything else goes.

I'm open ears.

thanks
As others have pointed out, the Navy will move your stuff up to a weight allowance (around 10,000 lbs for an ENS, IIRC). If your stuff is under that limit, then you are good to go and the move will not be any more or less painful, it will just have an extra pack-out day or two.

The more concerning part should be your ability to find a large enough place to fit your stuff in some duty stations. For example, if you are stationed in San Diego or Pearl, you are not going to afford a 3- or 4- BR home with a basement and attic for all that stuff on ENS BAH.

Another thing to consider is that you bought all that stuff for a reason. Unless you picture never wanting it again, you might want to consider long-term storage instead of re-buying stuff down the line after selling it for a small fraction of its value.

You will most likely lose money if you do a full DITY move, since unlike movers you don't own your own truck. Do a partial DITY: Movers come and pack out all of your major stuff, you get weight tickets for your car and pack it full with clothes, uniforms, irreplaceable valuables, and whatever else you can fit in there. You'll get a few hundred dollars for stuff you have to take with you anyway, and the Navy moves the rest of your stuff (relatively) hassle-free. If the movers break/damage anything, you file a claim and get reimbursed for it.

speedroller

Rangers
As others have pointed out, the Navy will move your stuff up to a weight allowance (around 10,000 lbs for an ENS, IIRC). If your stuff is under that limit, then you are good to go and the move will not be any more or less painful, it will just have an extra pack-out day or two.

The more concerning part should be your ability to find a large enough place to fit your stuff in some duty stations. For example, if you are stationed in San Diego or Pearl, you are not going to afford a 3- or 4- BR home with a basement and attic for all that stuff on ENS BAH.

Another thing to consider is that you bought all that stuff for a reason. Unless you picture never wanting it again, you might want to consider long-term storage instead of re-buying stuff down the line after selling it for a small fraction of its value.

You will most likely lose money if you do a full DITY move, since unlike movers you don't own your own truck. Do a partial DITY: Movers come and pack out all of your major stuff, you get weight tickets for your car and pack it full with clothes, uniforms, irreplaceable valuables, and whatever else you can fit in there. You'll get a few hundred dollars for stuff you have to take with you anyway, and the Navy moves the rest of your stuff (relatively) hassle-free. If the movers break/damage anything, you file a claim and get reimbursed for it.
Thanks for the reply. My wife and I do not wan't to have a big place while I'm going through school. Yes, It is very nice to rent a big 4 bedroom plus basement home for $1000 in Delaware.

I put an approximate cost estimate and came out to about $1700 in total expense for the move, includes one night's stay at a hotel. I used this site: http://ditymovecalculator.net/ to estimate what I would get back. And the full DITY move leaves me with money in pocket. Of course, I don't know how accurate the information is, but that's why I am here to ask questions.

RCArce01

It's important to note that OCS to Pensacola isn't a PCS move if you're single (therefore 100% out of pocket). Obviously OP doesn't have this problem, but for others reading this, paying to move all your crap down south can get spendy quick. I came from Oregon so it cost me about $2000 to move just the basics + my car, and another $1500 for a bed, cheap kitchenware, and furniture once I got here.

Last edited:

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I was where you were a few years back. Wife (then girlfriend) and I were both gainfully employed pre-Navy, but not married. We left a lot of stuff at parent's places and grabbed it once I got to a fleet squadron and knew I wasn't moving for a few years. I'd plan on living lean during flight school due to the multiple moves. Movers don't give a shit about your stuff, and they're a necessary evil of this game. Plan on at least 3 moves in flight school unless you're really lucky.

I'm fairly certain you can get DITY weight for the motorcycles if you trailer or UHaul them, for whatever that's worth. Partial DITY is probably your best bet, leaving some stuff behind in storage. You DITY the essentials and the bikes, maybe come out a few bucks ahead, movers take the rest.

Also, keep in mind you'll probably be at OCS, with minimal connectivity, while your wife is trying to do this full DITY move, by herself. Maybe she's down for that kind of thing, but you'll have been out of pocket for 12 weeks and making her move by herself? Not a great plan. I don't know what kind of "moving leave" married ENS are getting in PCola, but I don't remember it being very much back in 2010. So if you push it to your "moving leave" or whatever, it's still going to be a hot mess trying to box up, truck, and drive it down in whatever minimal time they give you. Oh, and you'll be trying to actually find rental housing at the same time.