• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

first motorcycle

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You can learn on any bike- I had a friend who bought a minty 1000cc and hasn't dropped it yet-(That I know of it).

I've seen it too---but for every one guy I've seen pull it off, I've seen another 5 wreck the bike. I remember one CBR1000RR that didn't even make it off the lot. He accidentally goosed the throttle turning out of the parking lot and ate it. A couple thousand dollars worth of damage. I thought it was funny at the time---job security I guess.

Eliot Watts

Motorcycle Insurance rates are usually tied to displacement. A few carriers class bikes in risk catagories according to accident statistics.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
When it comes to 250s, specifically the Yamaha Virago 250 (I own one myself). It's just fine on power, able to pull away from traffic issues just fine, takes the superhighways ok too, but don't recommend it for very long hops as it is an air cooled bike. So engine size is near perfect for the weight. They've been making this bike exactly the same since like the 70s, so they must be doing something right. Plus, 90+ MPG on a descent looking cruiser can't be wrong.

But, be wary of the size of the BIKE not the engine. I'm 5'10" 170 lbs. I'm basically just slightly over the size limit for comfortable riding. It's not so bad that its a safety issue, but I tend to get painfully stiff after an hour or two. That didn't happen on my Shadow 750.

If your similar in size or larger than me and plan to make some long rides, look at a bigger bike. If you like 250s, I think the Suzuki 250 has better dimensions for taller people, but just slightly.

I remember the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 being a good cruiser to start with. Unless I'm mistaken, it has a version of the 500 engine from the Ninja, virtually bullet-proof.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
When it comes to 250s, specifically the Yamaha Virago 250 (I own one myself). It's just fine on power, able to pull away from traffic issues just fine, takes the superhighways ok too, but don't recommend it for very long hops as it is an air cooled bike. So engine size is near perfect for the weight. They've been making this bike exactly the same since like the 70s, so they must be doing something right. Plus, 90+ MPG on a descent looking cruiser can't be wrong.

But, be wary of the size of the BIKE not the engine. I'm 5'10" 170 lbs. I'm basically just slightly over the size limit for comfortable riding. It's not so bad that its a safety issue, but I tend to get painfully stiff after an hour or two. That didn't happen on my Shadow 750.

If your similar in size or larger than me and plan to make some long rides, look at a bigger bike. If you like 250s, I think the Suzuki 250 has better dimensions for taller people, but just slightly.

I remember the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 being a good cruiser to start with. Unless I'm mistaken, it has a version of the 500 engine from the Ninja, virtually bullet-proof.

My first bike was a vulcan 750 and it was a GREAT starter bike. I dropped it a few times, but got it used so I wasn't heartbroken. I got the extended warranty on it, and it paid for itself when a problem with the ignition/starter system manifested itself. Worth every penny. Had PLENTY of power and could probably have smoked my brother's ninja 500R even though it was a cruiser.

Enough power to hang yourself with if you're not careful, great to learn on, but not a sport bike so you won't die if it's your first bike.

k_smittay

It all has to do with your self control, and a healthy fear of death. If you can control yourself, almost anything would be a decent first bike. I started with a CBR900RR 8 years ago, and recently moved to a ZX12R. The CBR was a great bike, and I didn't get bored with it after 6-12 months like a lot of my buddies who started off on 500/600cc's.

Look for a bike that is comfy with decent ergonomics, especially if you commute. A decent amount of power so you don't get bored. Also, something that you think is good looking so you enjoy it and don't get sick of it after a little while. If you are careful, 90% of the time you won't lay it down. I have had one crash in 8 years (7 years ago) and that was on the track. Good luck with your motorcycle hunting! And have fun riding!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Posted earlier
Impressions from my first day ever of riding a motorcycle
1. I ABSO-F!@#$%^-LUTELY LOVE IT!!!! I can't believe I had never even thought about riding a bike, and know I'm doing it! God, it's f@#$%^&! AWESOME!!!

2. I should have NEVER, EVER, EVER, have bought a litre bike! Listen to what everyone says and buy something with a LOT less power. Why? Because you are going to make mistakes, and having this much power available amplifies the consequences of those mistakes. I am 110% positive that I would be having the same amount of fun on a bike half it's power... That means I could backtrack ten percent and still be 100% behind that statement. If I had tossed aside my all or nothing personality and gotten something more intelligent I also would have the confidence much earlier to take it somewhere besides the school parking lot - I *could* take it on the street right now... I also *could* jump off the golden gate bridge, not very bright ideas...

That being said I absolutely love my Aprilia SL Mille (her name is Milla :D) and I wouldn't trade her for the world. But If I had bought something more sensible I wouldn't have to take things so slow. Maybe tomorrow I'll try shifting into second gear. Nah, too dangerous! :D

However many trips from Bay Area to Lemoore later, I am still alive...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Motorcycle Insurance rates are usually tied to displacement. A few carriers class bikes in risk catagories according to accident statistics.

I'm a big fan of Progressive for motorcycle insurance. They do look at the type of bike/displacement, but they also include your credit score in their calculations. I thought that was odd when I was shopping around for my insurance but turns out I save about $200 a year on it. Full coverage, including leathers, etc, runs me about 8 bucks a month now.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I'm a big fan of Progressive for motorcycle insurance. They do look at the type of bike/displacement, but they also include your credit score in their calculations. I thought that was odd when I was shopping around for my insurance but turns out I save about $200 a year on it. Full coverage, including leathers, etc, runs me about 8 bucks a month now.
Same here, I have Progressive via USAA with a big displacement bike and love it...

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
I didn't go with a 250cc as my first bike and I survived, but maybe I was lucky...

If it's a good deal, buy it, even if you'll be selling again in a few months. Entry level bikes are in high demand so you won't have a problem getting your money back out of it.

My friends and I all got good deals on motorcycle insurance through Progressive/USAA. I got full coverage on my Monster for a year for about $650, all of the other companies had it classed as a pure sportbike and wanted $2k for the first year because I was a new rider under age 25.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I just picked up an '06 GSXR 750 this weekend. I started out on a kawasaki 636r sportbike, then a Harley Sportster. I've yet to go down (knock on wood), but if I had to do it over again I would have gone with a less powerful first bike. More because it would be more fun starting out rather than having to ride around constantly paranoid of killing yourself.