• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Lighten up Francis. How many times does the E-6 catch on fire? I'm genuinely curious. And it's a hell of a lot older than a P-8 (again, we're talking about the P-8, and not the P-3).

My fault. Sorry for the snarkiness. I took 2 ambiens last night...all I can say is ambien is a hell of a drug.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No red phone ringing today; thanks!!
Had the run of the pattern today since I pawned off my broken bird (cough "up" bird) to schoolbubba today. Take five? How many emergencies did you have today? Was ambien involved? Or did you get hit by the black cloud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Had the run of the pattern today since I pawned off my broken bird (cough "up" bird) to schoolbubba today. Take five? How many emergencies did you have today? Was ambien involved? Or did you get hit by the black cloud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm completely comfortable being 5/6 of an instructor and never having to sign for an aircraft as an IP, especially considering the talent level in some of our upgraders. I should have known something was up when you gave up your aircraft without a fuss...

goddamn hinges. Don't trust them!

And the black cloud is definitely the Skipper, not me.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'll agree to that and I remember a convo I had with one of my DHs who was doing an FCF on a bird and kept coming back 3 Eng. The first time or two he declared an emergency, but after that he just rolled with it. I've experienced the AF treatment coming in 3 Eng and it's pretty interesting but good to know they do have you covered. Here's another debate: do you declare an emergency for a no flap? What if you're an IP and do them for training anyways?

As a former P-3 guy now baby "single" pilot...

My outlook on declaring an emergency has changed significantly. In my P-3 days, my thought was that if I was landing as a result of a malfunction that required an EP...I declared an emergency...ie...prop pump light on speed etc...

Now, my standard question is "If I have to wave off, is this going to be an issue?" If someone taking the runway in front of me etc...would cause peril or hazard to me or the aircraft, then I declare. Unless the answer to that question is "yes", or I need some sort of ground assistance...trap, fire fighting, evac on the runway...then why bother?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
That's an interesting outlook on it and to me makes sense. I don't know if we (Airwarriors) have had an "declare emergency" discussion yet, or at least recently but I'm curious what other communities think.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had a lot of malfunctions in a Prowler, but very few of them have resulted in a declaration. If it gets me the right handling by ATC, or the crash crew if I might need them, by all means. I would say in the TACAIR realm, many of the EPs will result in a field arrestment, so asking for that tends to get you priority handling without necessarily declaring. As others have eluded to, the USAF is ridiculous about this stuff. I've been stuck in the wire for 20 minutes, finally disembarking a backseater to explain to the befuddled USAF crash crew how to get a pullback so we taxi out of the gear.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
That's an interesting outlook on it and to me makes sense. I don't know if we (Airwarriors) have had an "declare emergency" discussion yet, or at least recently but I'm curious what other communities think.

I don't like to think there is a defined threshold for when to declare an emergency. There are some many factors such as weather, fuel, sea state, my position in addition to the state of the aircraft.
As a RAG IP I always used the Land As Soon as Possible as the starting point, assuming the aircraft is handling OK.
If the aircraft is not handling normally but it's land as soon as practicable, do I want crash next to me in the event I goon it up? If so, declare.

Am I capable of getting an expeditious landing? If I'm coming back and I feel like I'll be OK for a few more minutes (before the seat cushion goes fully up my exhaust port) and I'm told I'm #4 behind 3 aircraft in the GCA pattern, then I'm declaring.

Now that I'm on the other side of the "red phone" I can saw we'd rather have you declare an emergency for stuff you are unsure if it rates an emergency than not declare and have issues on short final. The Fire Rescue guys are sitting around anyways (and they're paid whether they roll or don't) so they would rather you be overly cautious and declare.
From the tower side of things, it may make things a little more challenging because we have to start sequencing aircraft to give priority to the aircraft with the problem, but that takes less than two minutes. And it's actually good for our junior controllers to see the senior guys handle the minor emergencies more often.
They can see the process for notification, moving aircraft and controlling the airfield when someone declares and emergency.
Much like the aircraft, if a junior pilot can see a senior pilot handle EP's calmly and professionally, it will demonstrate how that junior pilot should perform when he/she is the senior pilot.

I always imagined an airport going to complete GQ when an aircraft declares an emergency, but that is not the case. Tower does it's thing, Radar puts folks into a Delta pattern, the Fire Rescue guys have to stop watching TV/Working Out/Cooking and man the trucks and of course the Base Ops O gets woken up from his afternoon "snappy nappy".

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Once or twice I've seen a control tower declare the emergency on behalf/in spite of/whatever the affected aircraft. Sometimes this might hurt the pilot's pride, sometimes not (this part is probably mostly the result of coming down from the excitement of an inflight malfunction or emergency).

Another thing is there are a few key words that will get the crash trucks rolling, whether you asked for it or not- fire (obviously), fumes (because that implies you're breathing something that might be poisonous)... sorta like George Carlin's "words you can never say to ATC" :)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
NUW players (looking at you VP/VQ guys), when you declare an emergency the unimaginative and lazy controllers at NUW put everyone else on a ground hold. I can't taxi from the hot pits to my line because there is a P-3 on a 10 mile final heroically handling the dreaded three engine landing.... Please use the word judiciously. ;)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
FWIW, the Navy yesterday announced a firm order for 11 more P-8As for $1.9bn. This is the 2nd tranche of the original order for about 117. IMHO, the P-8 airframe has a long future as a multi-purpose a/c for the US & many other nations. The 737 airframe will have been built in some form for some 50+ years before this is all over. I don't think any other airframe will come close - well, maybe the 747, but it has never had a military variant and the numbers can't compare.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
NUW players (looking at you VP/VQ guys), when you declare an emergency the unimaginative and lazy controllers at NUW put everyone else on a ground hold. I can't taxi from the hot pits to my line because there is a P-3 on a 10 mile final heroically handling the dreaded three engine landing.... Please use the word judiciously. ;)
Sounds more like something to bring up with the base to change procedures. Honestly if I am declaring an emergency the last thought in my mind is impact to other aircraft, it's getting my aircraft safely on deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I don't think any other airframe will come close - well, maybe the 747, but it has never had a military variant and the numbers can't compare.

Only a couple that I'm aware of this and the 2 VC-25 that serve the Pres and VP.

images_zps911ef10d.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Sounds more like something to bring up with the base to change procedures. Honestly if I am declaring an emergency the last thought in my mind is impact to other aircraft, it's getting my aircraft safely on deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As it should be - and nothing I wrote suggested it shouldn't be. Merely suggesting that not everything that leads us to the PCL = emergency....Which is kinda where the thread was headed, yes?