• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I stand corrected. VP-26 actually lost an aircraft to enemy action in Vietnam.

"On 1 April 1968, another serious incident occured between Khmer Navy and South Vietnamese vessels in the Gulf of Siam. While gunfire was exchanged between gunboats, a US Navy P-3B from VP-26 was sent to investigate and was shot down by the Cambodians. The US sources reported that one Orion was missing this day from a patrol on the area after being hit in the starboard wing. The plane crashed near the Phu Quoc Island near the Cambodian maritime border with the twelve crew-members killed."

My point is still valid, but let's not forget our brothers lost in action...

Had to check my facts first, VP-26 lost 2 P-3s during Operation MARKET TIME in Vietnam

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Nah...just most of your references...I was actually happy I got this one...Say...maybe we can hang out?:icon_wink

The link is one of my favorites....

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Had to check my facts first, VP-26 lost 2 P-3s during Operation MARKET TIME in Vietnam

Yeah, VPNAVY.COM lists 2 aircraft and crews lost; one in February and one in April. Both are listed as "Water Strike" with 12 deaths, but only one is listed as "combat action". That isn't the final word of course, but couldn't find any details regarding the second aircaft.

Super Hornet 88

Looks like the P-8 is gonna get "Poseidon" for it's nickname....

From the Seattle Times:

Renton plant preps for new Navy plane

In Renton, Boeing has begun installing the production line for the Navy's new maritime patrol and anti-submarine aircraft — the P-8A, soon to be re-named Poseidon.

The new assembly line is in a separate building from the commercial jet assembly operation, with special security and access provisions to comply with federal International Traffic in Arms Regulations governing defense projects. The assembly line will produce 108 planes for the Navy over 10 years, with the potential for twice that number in overseas orders.

The Navy airplane is based on the 737-800 commercial jet airframe. In 2008, Boeing's commercial division in Renton will deliver the first basic airframe with hardened wings and bomb bays to the company's Integrated Defense Systems (IDS) division in Seattle.

IDS Seattle will insert some classified systems and deliver the first flight-test aircraft to the Navy in 2009.

chrispaul

NFO
None
Well, now almost every field I was stationed is gone (Mather, Moffett, Barbers, Adak) and shortly the platform (Orion) will be on its way out. I guess that officially makes me an "Old Guy".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Official P-8 Name

They finally made it official:

01/09/2007

USA: Navy Names P-3 Replacement P-8A Poseidon

By Renee Hatcher, P-8A Poseidon Public Affairs, U.S. Navy

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2007/5136.shtml

PATUXENT RIVER, Md. - The Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) today announced that the P-8A multi-mission maritime aircraft has been assigned its popular name. It will now be known as P-8A Poseidon.

Historically, the names of Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance aircraft have been taken from Greek mythology. The P-8A’s predecessors were the P-2 Neptune and P-3 Orion. Poseidon’s association with dominance of the seas, and protection for all that serve on it, unquestionably represent the capabilities the P-8A will bring to the Navy.

“As with everything we do, we solicited inputs from the end-user to determine the best name for the P-8A,” said Capt. Joe Rixey, NAVAIR’s Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft Program manager. “We are very excited to announce Poseidon as the identification for this essential weapon system that the warfighter will use to patrol and protect the open waters well into the 21st century.”

The P-8A Poseidon is the Navy’s replacement platform for the P-3C Orion, securing the Navy’s future in long-range patrol. The primary mission of the P-8A is to provide persistent anti-submarine warfare. In addition, the Poseidon will contribute to anti-surface warfare, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance warfighting capabilities as defined in the Sea Shield and FORCEnet elements of the Navy’s Sea Power 21.

The program is currently in the detailed design phase of system design and development. Initial operating capability is scheduled for 2013 with full operational capability planned for 2019.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Historically, the names of Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance aircraft have been taken from Greek mythology. The P-8A’s predecessors were the P-2 Neptune and P-3 Orion.

Except Neptune was a Roman god, not Greek. Poseidon is the Greek equivalent of Neptune. I will give a journalist a break when they screw up some obscure technical detail. But a writer should know basic Greek and Roman mythology. Do they take even one course on the Classics these days?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I hate to stoop to wikipedia links, but this one is not too bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-cost_carrier

Low cost carriers are very successful and commonly operate B-737's. Years from now there will be a large market of experienced P-8 pilots rooming through the civilian world with plenty of time and a type rating in new age B-737's.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hate to stoop to wikipedia links, but this one is not too bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-cost_carrier

Low cost carriers are very successful and commonly operate B-737's. Years from now there will be a large market of experienced P-8 pilots rooming through the civilian world with plenty of time and a type rating in new age B-737's.

O.K. I guess I see the experience in type point, even though it really makes no difference when it comes to the hiring committees. It is actual bad for an airline to have a pilot group that is too homogeneous.

As far the the statement that low cost carriers are very successful, you are very wrong. Every airline that has stood up since deregulation, but maybe 2, has been a self proclaimed low cost airline. That is well over 25 airlines. How many are still around and successful? Depending on how you define successful, 3-4. Given those facts, I would not state that low cost airlines, as a group are successful.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
But won't alot of pilot's view flying the P-8 as their ticket to the airlines? Whether they select it for that reason or not, eventually there will be alot of guys getting out with 737 experience. The market gets flooded with military 737 guys, and the airlines make out.

I would think this would be a real good thing for the enlisted maintainers. Navy pilots are always going to be at the top of the list for the airlines, but now instead of the e's having a tone of experience maintaining a plane that none of the major carriers use they will have experience on an airframe that almost ALL of the major carriers use. I'm interested to hear the opinions of the experienced guys on this one.

hscs

pilot
I can't believe they turned down the name "Perdiem".

I guess Air Force transport and tanker types must always be behind Navy guys for getting on with the airlines. interesting...