• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Financial Aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

Most of you know my story. Ok, here is the deal. I asked for X amt of dollars for student loans to get me through grad school. I was awarded X - $6,200.00. So you can see where my issue is. I have some money in savings and I can maybe get by, but I'm not sure.

Here is my question, I know some of you went to ERAU, and some other high dollar places and have tons in student loans. Personally I have about 22K in student loans as is. Is there a route I'm not exploring to look for money? I'm going to contact the school and appeal the amount to see if that gets me anywhere. If anyone has any ideas, please ante them up. And they did not give me any subsidized, it was all unsubsidized. This is the part where having a big paycheck hurts like hell. The problem is that I think that I have enough saved up that I can make it to about next summer. After that things get a bit hairy, and I can't have a job because I'll have to go to field training.

I'm still waiting to hear from the OTS board, so I'm praying hard now. Meanwhile your input is appreciated.

Thanks

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If you are no longer working at the same job making a big paycheck, then appeal your award and have them correct your annual income. You can do this once. All you have to say in the appeal, is that you were making X dollars. However, since you have returned to school, that income is gone. They will allow you to use a projected income for one time. After the income situation is taken care of you can then asked for subsidized loans or grants. Also go to your grad department and ask them if they have any TA programs where you can get grant $$.

Dave

ghost_ttu

well I filled out the form where you show special consideration. It asks for the projected income for this year. Well since I'm still working this year and I'll work through August my projected income for this year is around $32K net and around 50K gross. Neither of these figures go well with financial aid. "Why don't you just pay for it?" I'm sure someone is thinking that, but I do have expenses and I have been putting money away as best as I can. I still have to pay rent, car payment, and other bills until I go to school. Once in school I have figured that my expenses are going to be right around 1300.00/month. And AFROTC will give me 350.00/month so that means I need to come up with about 950.00/month. After I pay tuition I think I'm looking at about 4K a semester to live on. That is cutting it really close. And like I said I have some money in savings that would allow me to get through the semesters, but then I would be hung out to dry come summer when I have no student loans and no savings. And I'll only make about 750.00 for the 6 weeks that I'll be in Field Training. So basically I have to get enough loan money to carry me through the summer term.

Do you think they will let me explain the situation and go on what I will MAKE while in school, instead of what I "have made" this year. And then next year when I apply for aid again, are they going to let me show that I make zero, instead of going on the amt that I make this year?

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

WFU2USN

ghost,

You may be eligible to apply for private loans if you talk to Fin. Aid about the situation (again)...I know it's a hassle...but persistence never hurts! :) I went directly from active duty to school and sent many a letter explaining that while I had money when I applied, it was going to be gone when I entered school.

I went through a similar situation as an undergrad while in school too - I had to work full time, but that didn't cover much for private school tuition - work just paid my rent. I'm way in the hole, so I completely understand!!!

If you have questions or want advice on what to write, let me know! I know my fin. aid office did work w/ me in the end...I just had to write a letter every year after the first "reminding" them as to why they were providing w/ more aid.

Good luck!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

ghost_ttu

Thanks, I'm making phone calls tomorrow and they are going to learn that I can be a large bother if someone doesn't assist me.

Status
Not open for further replies.