• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
@A4s...did the Dallas Adversary unit have a VF/VA designation? i.e. VF-126 Seahawks, VF-127 Desert Bogies, etc. I Googled but it seems there's not a lot of info about them out there.
We were a not-so-secret unit ... :) ... but still a secret. Make sense???

NARU Dallas "owned" and maintained the aircraft, but was not qualified on paper to "fly" the aircraft. Don't ask me why -- it's a long Navy bureaucratic story. We were a "self-help" unit and as such, we had to look for a "sponsor" who was qualified and willing to "fly" the aircraft (on paper) as well as provide us with a garden spot for our mandatory 2 weeks ACDUTRA in the summer.

We said: "How about the P.I.?? We'd like to go back there, yeas???"

And VRC-50 said: "O.K."

..... although in the end, we flew so many drills and TEMACDU in CONUS and Canada that we only went to CUBI three times in 9-10 years of flyin' Adversary out of NAS DALLAS.

I think that's about it. So don't say I never did nuthin' for you ... :)

dallasadversary052mz1.jpg

FastMover

NFO
None
I think that's about it. So don't say I never did nuthin' for you ... :)

Thanks...I understand (I think). So the Dallas unit was kind of like a Detachment of VRC-50?

It's always interesting to read about the more obscure Squadrons out there like the FUBIJARs, Fighting Hobos, etc. Good stuff.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alas for the hoary Olden Days when you only had to lay a fine veneer of paper over a good deal to make it happen. No longer, more's the pity.

I've got a couple videos of a 1v1 fight against an F-15C, just never gotten around to post them here.
S/F

Brining this one back from the dead. I think I found Jarhead's F-15 vids, the POV is very similar to his F-16 vid.

http://www.vitaf.it/AMVI_Sito/Multimedia/Video/RealVideo/F-15-DACT1.zip

http://www.vitaf.it/AMVI_Sito/Multimedia/Video/RealVideo/F-15-DACT2.zip

From what I have seen of real ACM vids, it would appear that extensions are not practiced / allowed during training. Is this due to missile threats, fuel concerns, or something else?

I know extensions have been made in real combat engagements, but these were Vietnam era jets.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Great stuff -- both ACM/BFM threads. I'd kinda forgotten about them. It's stuff that will keep you alive ...

Certainly more productive than the latest YouTube postings ... :)

MPH

A4: That a VF-126 tail?

In reference to the conversation, I was golfing with a pair of former 126 guys and the fat joke was made: "You see, the G's they drag all of your bodyweight down to your midsection."

The other one replied: "I never pulled any G's in the A-4 or the 18, I was always too slow to get any."

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I have seen of real ACM vids, it would appear that extensions are not practiced / allowed during training. Is this due to missile threats, fuel concerns, or something else?
I know extensions have been made in real combat engagements, but these were Vietnam era jets.
Interesting question, and I don't know the answer. Maybe somebody else can weigh in.

What I do know was that the extension/pitch-black maneuver was the F-4's most fundamental ACM/BFM maneuver, and it was always routinely practiced and used on every ACM training flight. This was because with the F-4's higher wing loading, it could not get into a turning fight with the MiG's of that era (or A-4 adversaries, either ;) ) and hope to win.

Therefore, utilizing the F-4's greater thrust-to-weight, acceleration and speed advantages, instead of getting sucked into a tight turn with the tighter turning bogie, the F-4 pilot would quick turn, unload, extend, and then use a violent nose-high pitch-black maneuver back into the bogie. This would be done repeatedly.....until the kill, or bingo.

The F-14 occasionally used the same maneuver, but not nearly as much… for at least 2 reasons – 1. It had much better turning performance, and 2. With the very early "A" models, you often compressor stalled one or both engines on the pitch-back. :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Interesting question, and I don't know the answer. Maybe somebody else can weigh in......
I certainly don't "know" any more than you do, Cat, but I remember talkin' about this very subject in the middle/late '80's as the all-aspect/improved Soviet missiles started to make themselves known ... or even French missiles and/or older USA variants on potential bad-guys' pylons --- and especially after the Israeli's showed the value of an unexpected improved AIM-9 "face-shot" on the merge w/ the Syrians ...

The answer was:

If you try to extend/run away from the center of gravity of the turning/in-close/ fight, you're gonna get shot with a missile, either going out or coming back .... period.

So the SOLUTION was stay & play and kill the other guy -- or don't even show up in the first place.

Again .... 20 years ago, but it all sounded reasonable and still sounds reasonable....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4: That a VF-126 tail?

In reference to the conversation, I was golfing with a pair of former 126 guys and the fat joke was made: "You see, the G's they drag all of your bodyweight down to your midsection."

The other one replied: "I never pulled any G's in the A-4 or the 18, I was always too slow to get any."

Heyday of VF-126 and TOPGUN A-4s at Miramar circa 1992

VF-126DoubleNuts.jpg

VF-126lineup1.jpg

Skyhawks.jpg

TOPGUNA-4lineupatNellis.jpg

Photos by HJ

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The answer was:

If you try to extend/run away from the center of gravity of the turning/in-close/ fight, you're gonna get shot with a missile, either going out or coming back .... period.

So the SOLUTION was stay & play and kill the other guy -- or don't even show up in the first place.
reasonable....
Well, as you well know, back in the day if 'old Smokey' stayed and played with an A-4 or a MiG (given equally talented drivers), old Smokey would get burned.

Likewise, if 'Smokey' extended out away from the fight, a tight-turning A-4/MiG could also wrap it up and get the quick Fox-2.

But for us, a well-flown extension maneuver was the only way to go. And if flown correctly – given the enemy's missiles of the day – it was a somewhat safe maneuver if done well – indeed it was the only maneuver for us, other than a fly-thru against an agressive bandit. And we did often have head-on capability coming out of the pitch-back.

Different aircraft, weapons systems, and times dictate different tactics. But I would think many varied manuevers would be practiced, to have both the experience, and the added arrows in your quiver, regardless.

Having said all that, I am aware like you that there was a dramatic shift in BFM theory about that time for whatever reasons.