• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Few quick questions.

JFL12

Is there anything other than good PFT scores, good ASTB scores, getting my GPA up, and getting good recommendations that will significantly help my chances of getting selected for PLC? I was reading a thread on this subject a couple of weeks ago, but my searching skills are apparently lacking and I cant find it.

Second question is if those of you that have gone through flight school feel that having taken civilian flight lessons before API and Primary would have made a significant difference in your scores? I know it obviously would help, but I can't really afford flight lessons of any kind. I can however take out a school loan and pay for it that way, but I dont want to go into debt if it will not improve my grades very much. I am not talking about trying to get a civilian license, but will a significant number of private lessons improve my grades very much? Just to be clear I am not asking if the flight time will help me get a flight slot, but I am asking IF I can get a flight slot will it give me much of an edge in flight school?

I am new to the site so you can click the link to get a short intro if you wanted one.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140964

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
WRT getting some civilian time, it can really go either way. As some of the instructors here can tell you, some guys it helps and others it actually hurts. There are differences in flying on both sides, and for some guys un-learning one way to learn another can be difficult. Seems like having some instrument time under your belt can help, but how much is going to be different with every person.

I personally would NOT recommend taking out that large of a loan to pay for it. Many (most) people will have only IFS as prior flight time going into primary and do just fine.

Search around, this has been discussed ad nauseum.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
First part of the question: do all the things listed and you should be fine.

Second part, do not go into debt for flight lessons, it is a nice to have but not the end all and be all. You will do IFS which will give you some civilian time prior to flight school anyway. One economical option would be to get flight simulator and screw around with that to learn basic concepts.

JFL12

First part of the question: do all the things listed and you should be fine.

Second part, do not go into debt for flight lessons, it is a nice to have but not the end all and be all. You will do IFS which will give you some civilian time prior to flight school anyway. One economical option would be to get flight simulator and screw around with that to learn basic concepts.

Funny story... that would be an economical way, but to play it I would have to buy a computer because the laptop I have now won't play it haha. I paid 60 bucks for it, deleted several programs to clear the hard drive space, and upon loading it the first time my computer informed me that my video card is not capable of playing it. I was aggrevated, but should have read system requirements.

Another question. The recommendations that you used, were they people you already knew or did you basically go meet people that could give you good recommendations?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Another question. The recommendations that you used, were they people you already knew or did you basically go meet people that could give you good recommendations?
Well, the idea is to have people who know you and can attest to your character to give recommendations.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Funny story... that would be an economical way, but to play it I would have to buy a computer because the laptop I have now won't play it haha. I paid 60 bucks for it, deleted several programs to clear the hard drive space, and upon loading it the first time my computer informed me that my video card is not capable of playing it. I was aggrevated, but should have read system requirements.

You pay for what you get!

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
In addition to your methods of being more competitive for PLC, consider becoming a woman. When I was going through the OSO, he had quotas to fill, and I don't imagine that's changed much.

whalepelt

In addition to your methods of being more competitive for PLC, consider becoming a woman. When I was going through the OSO, he had quotas to fill, and I don't imagine that's changed much.

I'd like to see what DODMERB would have to say about that. You might need to get that waivered. :D

JFL12

haha... Interesting insight, but I think I'll just take my chances as a man.

sanders

I picked up a PLC air contract a year ago with a 3.6 gpa, 230 pft and good astb scores, but I have heard of people with considerably worse stats than me getting a contract.

JFL12

I picked up a PLC air contract a year ago with a 3.6 gpa, 230 pft and good astb scores, but I have heard of people with considerably worse stats than me getting a contract.

That makes me feel better. What was your college major?

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
2.6 GPA, 238 PFT, 7/7/7 ASTB...Selected SNA PLC Jr.s 1st Inc. this summer. Develope a good relationship with your OSO and make sure he knows you're putting out and that you want to be there. It also depends on the number of available flight slots for your region/class year