• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Few Questions. Enlisted Applicant.

JoeHello

I have a few obscure questions I figure this community might have answers for.
1) In the CO's recommendation it states in the instruction to address all waivers. This seems awkward and also addressed in Personal Statements section of 1420.1b. If so, is it included in the opening paragraph? How would this be worded? I have a PRK waiver and a potential age waiver. Which leads me to question 2.
2) I am applying for SNA/NFO and IW. I am 26 years old and turn 27 in November 2012. My OPC is not sure if I should mention an age waiver, because she believes the board will meet April 16ish, Selections by April 31, Pro-rec and Final select within May, and then I can call the fleet processor to inform him I will need a class data ASAP in order to beet the Nov 12 deadline. Is it possible to put "potential waiver" in personal statements or will the board just but 2 and 2 together?
3) Finally, I work at a NIOC command and my OPC and I are having trouble finding an Pilot for an interview. Obviously this is short notice, but I only recently finished my degree. If anyone in Hawaii, possibly K-Bay, knows of a Pilot who might have time to schedule an interview with me that would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance for any information.

CTI3

exNavyOffRec

2) What is an OPC? because whatever she is she obviously is clueless with the officer selection process. The age requirement is "commissioned by" not "at OCS by" given OCS is 3 months you would have to be at OCS by mid august and given the info on who is being put in the August class that isn't going to happen, but a waiver won't be an issue. It normally takes about 2 weeks after the board meets for results to come out, and it has taken longer before, it can then take 2 or more weeks for FS letters to go out.

The April boards are for FY13 selections, that means the first class those selected could go in to is August, but the August class as of know is just those that are coming out of the BDCP program, so they are looking at September for the first group.

JoeHello

2) What is an OPC? because whatever she is she obviously is clueless with the officer selection process. The age requirement is "commissioned by" not "at OCS by" given OCS is 3 months you would have to be at OCS by mid august and given the info on who is being put in the August class that isn't going to happen, but a waiver won't be an issue. It normally takes about 2 weeks after the board meets for results to come out, and it has taken longer before, it can then take 2 or more weeks for FS letters to go out.

The April boards are for FY13 selections, that means the first class those selected could go in to is August, but the August class as of know is just those that are coming out of the BDCP program, so they are looking at September for the first group.

OPC is an Officer Programs Coordinator. It is a collateral duty responsibility for an officer at our command. They handle all enlisted to officer commissioning programs, usually being the most well versed in STA-21 since it is by far the most popular. In our command last year of 1300 enlisted sailors we had less than 4 submitted OCS applications.

I will absolutely put in the information for the age waiver then. Now to track down the wording for Personal Statements section of 1420.1B.

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
The age waiver is extremely easy to obtain so don't hesitate on that. You can get Pilot and NFO waivers from the same sourse and nearly the same information on each sheet. PM me your nmci email and I can forward the file you need and let you know who to email it to.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I was pushing the age limit as an OCS applicant, and since I wasn't a prior, I had no chance at a waiver. I remember this being a huge worry for me, but my recruiter didn't seem to be sweating it. At the time I submitted my application, I had 10 months before I turned 27. Long story short, I finished OCS 2 months before my birthday. You have 9 months to commission before you'll need a waiver, so I'm not sure I'd go filling my app with waivers just yet. If the need arises, then I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting one as a prior. We even had a guy that was held in H-class for a few months during OCS for an injury, causing him to turn 27 prior to commissioning and it was never even brought up.

Good luck with your app!

JoeHello

Just an update. I contacted the OCS Fleet Processor and they gave me the number of the Officer Community Manager. I Called and was emailed a copy of a signed age waiver the next day. It covers both NFO and SNA. Just a heads up for any active duty applicants needing age waivers.

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
Could have just emailed me and I would have sent you the same thing like I said above! Oh well. Glad it all worked out for you and good luck with everything!