• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female Black Hair Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaznups

I know this may sound silly but, I really do have to ask. I am an African American female with natural hair and was wondering how the haircuts work? I say this because if my hair were to be cut to about 2 to 3 inch length the only thing I would have is an afro...
drool_125.gif
What am I supposed to do? Does anyone know what my options are?

Jaz

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

WFU2USN

Jaz,

My impression is that EVERYONE gets that very short wretched little hair cut.... I'm not sure what their take on African American hair is, but if you like, I'll email my friend that went to OCS and ask her if there were any African Amer. women there when she went.

:) Robin
IS2(SCW)

jaznups

Yea I don't mind cutting my hair but I just can't let it be free... So I was wondering if I could braid it to my head...

If you could ask that would be great... but most AA women have a perm so they don't tend to have any problems...

nic22

Are they still cutting female's hair too? I have a friend that went to OCS about 2 years ago ans she said they were talking about changing this policy.

kaysee

Hi, I'm a female applying for OCS, and to be honest, I think it'll be cool when they cut our hair. I know no one in here really wants to be treated any dif. than the guys (sorry if i am incorrect in speaking for others). Jaznups, if i were you, I'd go do the braid thing, and the worst thing that'll happen is they'll shave it since they won't be able to cut the braids by then. But that's only if you don't mind having a shaved head. ;) Might be cool, and if it isn't, well, you can just say it was forced upon you and not your choice.

GOOD LUCK!

gin_e

i hope they haven't changed the policy. i'm all for getting my hair cut. it is one less thing to worry about. the last thing i want to spend time doing is making sure my hair always looks nice.

Meridiani

Hey, Jaz--are you the type of woman who looks good with REALLY short hair? If so, you might consider having it cut well before you go to OCS. I've seen quite a few African American women with extremely short hair cuts (practically buzzed) that look very attractive. Alfre Woodard, for instance, is an African American actress who often appears in movies with a super-short haircut. It sure would make life easier having such short hair!
icon_smile.gif

jaznups

I don't know never had the guts to cut my hair really really short... I'm just saying that short hair would be more of a hassle for me...not a godsend like most...
hot_125.gif
unless I do shave it all off
eyebrows_125.gif
But I don't think I have the right shaped head! (hahah just some humor)

Anyways, I was just curious... nothing to make a big fuss about just trying to figure out the easiest way to go about taming my mane for 3 months

Jaz

Meridiani

I can definitely see how having hair 2-3 inches long would be a hassle for you, but if it was 1/4-1/2 inch long... WOW! That would be sooo easy. Not everyone can get away with that look, though. Just thought I'd mention it.
icon_smile_wink.gif

catpounce

The hair topic came up this weekend at our DEP meeting. Of course what I am passing on is third party information (my friend's friend who attended OCS recently informed her of the hair policy). As I understand it they will cut EVERYONE'S hair, even if you have already cut it to shorter than the 3" requirement, although, they do not shave women's hair. I have also heard (this source I can’t remember) that AA women/men canNOT have braids. What they will do if you show up with braids I don't know since they also don't shave women's heads. I really think it is based on how they feel that day when it gets down to the details of this policy. FYI, the Recruiter said to not do anything to your hair and let them cut it. Hope this doesn't confuse things more.

catpounce

I'm not sure about the gel either. You may want to talk to your recruiter about that one (mine is of the mind that if you take anything other than shampoo you will have to do push-ups). Have a good one!

Re: Shave thing...Yep it was my kind of response to the minute shower routine they gave us
spin_125.gif

Alex Fowler

Originally posted by Meridiani
Hey, Jaz--are you the type of woman who looks good with REALLY short hair? If so, you might consider having it cut well before you go to OCS. I've seen quite a few African American women with extremely short hair cuts (practically buzzed) that look very attractive. Alfre Woodard, for instance, is an African American actress who often appears in movies with a super-short haircut. It sure would make life easier having such short hair!
icon_smile.gif

m-000390-im-002915.jpg

GO EAGLES!! (Boston College and Philadelphia)

robbyg

I graduated from OCS last fall, and there was an African-American woman in my class. Pretty sure she came with long braids (not sure, she rolled into my class) and she got her hair cut to OCS regulation. Yep, looked like an afro to me.

As for hair gel, no deal. You wouldn't want it anyway, you'll do a lot of sweating, and wouldn't want it to roll into your eyes.
idea_125.gif

I really think its a shame that all of the women's haircuts are so short, cropped to the head. That's a couple years until it's back to normal. Sorry!

Good luck!

Rob

goirish10

Hey I was wondering where everyone is getting their information from. I am almost positive that all you have to do is get it cut to your collar. No 3 inch stuff. The navy and USMC want their female officers to look professional. Thats the standard at USNA for the freshmen then they are allowed to grow it out as long as they want so long as it will pin up.

Meridiani

Both males and females receive haircuts upon entering OCS. After OCS, standard Navy grooming regulations apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.