• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Felony Enlistment Question

James77

Similar to a post that I have read on the forums but I did not want to just post on his with my situation.

I was also taken to court on felony/misdemeanor charges but they were dismissed due to my community service, and other obligations. Which from my understanding by what I have been told by my recruiter would disqualify me and that the Marine Corps is not currently accepting any waivers for felony charges. I am extremely motivated and determined to become a United States Marine no matter what I have to do to have that chance.

So my question is, beings how the recruitment office has told me that they cannot process me. Is there ANYTHING that I can do to have my record looked over, or evaluated by a higher up in order to have a chance. I have brainstormed and thought about a few things such as volunteer work, letters of recommendation from people in my area such as the Congressman and/or Police Chief. Just about anything to be able to prove to whoever I need to that I am in fact a great candidate, and am in no way shape or form a flight risk due to having made mistakes during my juvenile age ( I am 23 now, 17 at the time of my arrest ).

I've heard of people being able to submit letters, upon letters, upon letters and recommendations in order to be able to be noticed and reevaluated. I just don't personally know anyone that has or know how legitimate the things I have read before are.

James77

Correct, however, like I had said previously I've heard of people just.....CONSTANTLY following up, requesting reevaluation, and sending in letters. Is that any sort of possibility at all?

I understand rules are rules, but stranger things have happened and if there is even a sliver of hope in a certain avenue of opportunity, I'd surely pursue it to the fullest extent that I can.

exNavyOffRec

Correct, however, like I had said previously I've heard of people just.....CONSTANTLY following up, requesting reevaluation, and sending in letters. Is that any sort of possibility at all?

I understand rules are rules, but stranger things have happened and if there is even a sliver of hope in a certain avenue of opportunity, I'd surely pursue it to the fullest extent that I can.

When the military is trying to increase size, sometimes, when they are trying to decrease probably not.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
There is a big difference between being charged with a felony and being convicted of a felony.

exNavyOffRec

There is a big difference between being charged with a felony and being convicted of a felony.

In regards to the federal gov't or military yes and no, we had a person who after selection and swearing in was charged with a crime, they were discharged right away, the charges were later dropped but the person never did get in.

On the civilian side I work with a civilian company where there is licensing with the federal gov't, we just had a person that during the process failed to disclose an arrest, not even charged, and we were told to stop the hiring process until further notice.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
A word to the wise for prospective enlistees, While your juvenile court records may or may not be sealed, an arrest (Mug shots and finger prints) does not go away. Be honest with your recruiters when it you are questioned about it.

exNavyOffRec

A word to the wise for prospective enlistees, While your juvenile court records may or may not be sealed, an arrest (Mug shots and finger prints) does not go away. Be honest with your recruiters when it you are questioned about it.

sealed will pop, nothing is sealed for the federal gov't

examples of "sealed" things I have seen pop
- 13 year old attempted molestation
-15 year old stealing candy
- freshman age kid drinking underage

and here at work we just had another one, a guy who is about 40 just had a 24 year old "sealed" assault conviction pop up when he applied for federal licensing.

The thing to remember is the government is watching everything you do, through Verizon :D

James77

I disclosed everything with my recruiter, even brought in everything from the court (paperwork, disposition, etc).

First Gunnery Sergeant I spoke with told me I had a chance, EXTREMELY slim chance, but one none the less.

Finished up some college courses I was already going through, came back and he was gone, next Gunnery Sergeant that I spoke with told me I was unfortunately unable to submit a waiver and apologized for the previous information I was provided.

exNavyOffRec

I disclosed everything with my recruiter, even brought in everything from the court (paperwork, disposition, etc).

First Gunnery Sergeant I spoke with told me I had a chance, EXTREMELY slim chance, but one none the less.

Finished up some college courses I was already going through, came back and he was gone, next Gunnery Sergeant that I spoke with told me I was unfortunately unable to submit a waiver and apologized for the previous information I was provided.

Things change, even though the manual may say "waiver" HQ may say "don't send"

James77

So then essentially, it could be a possibility of emailing or sending in a letter, finding a middle man to go between myself and the commander, whatever it may take.

Stranger things have happened, and I can't just give up after one shot. So I've been looking into any and every avenue of possibility in order to go in.