• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Felix Baumgartner

KBayDog

An impressive feat? Yes, perhaps. But mostly made by the technology today to record it.

Not disagreeing with you, but since the 50s and 60s (and absolutely since 1972), we've lost the will to see what the human body and spirit are made of. Improvements in technology have allowed us to conduct complex calculations and precise computer simulations, both of which have greatly increased the safety margin involved in exploration. As someone who has no desire to die, and prefers not to get injured, I see this as a good thing.

To a point.

Our TRA mentality aside, there is something to be said for those willing to put those precise, sterile computer simulations to the test. We like to see others from our species accomplish either what we think is possible, or, even better yet, what we think is impossible. A computer could have told me that his feat was doable, but it was awe-inspiring seeing him actually do it. (After all, what if the computers were wrong?) Monkeys in space were okay in the 50s, but it didn't "count" until Gagarin strapped on his rocket. Landing a 900 was once thought to be impossible, but Tony Hawk proved otherwise in 1999.

Unfortunately, the men in your linked video were a different breed. Our 'trons are great, and help keep us safe, but we need more brave men and women like them (and Felix) if we are ever going to discover the limits of our capabilities.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not disagreeing with you, but since the 50s and 60s (and absolutely since 1972), we've lost the will to see what the human body and spirit are made of. Improvements in technology have allowed us to conduct complex calculations and precise computer simulations, both of which have greatly increased the safety margin involved in exploration. As someone who has no desire to die, and prefers not to get injured, I see this as a good thing.....
All true. But there were one or two exceptions, post 1972 I think.

For instance, I knew this crazy Naval Aviator a bit later in the mid-1970s who often volunteered for a wide variety of extreme (and some not-so-extreme) tests in the NADC Centrifuge.

These various tests involved the R&D of new helmets, ejection seats, flight controls, and instrumentation under extreme G forces. The worst test was documenting pilot performance under multiple extreme duress -- Flash blindness, extreme heat, extreme sound, extreme vibration, etc., and all the while working under heavy Gs. The “panic button” provided the only relief!

After a year or two of these tests, he finally retired after one prolonged 12-G test. His boss had recommended he quit volunteering, or else “his organs would be rearranged for life.”
LINKY

nadc_centrifuge.jpg

All true. But there were one or two exceptions, post 1972 I think.

For instance, I knew this crazy Naval Aviator a bit later in the mid-1970s who often volunteered for a wide variety of extreme (and some not-so-extreme) tests in the NADC Centrifuge.

These various tests involved the R&D of new helmets, ejection seats, flight controls, and instrumentation under extreme G forces. The worst test was documenting pilot performance under multiple extreme duress -- Flash blindness, extreme heat, extreme sound, extreme vibration, etc., and all the while working under heavy Gs. The “panic button” provided the only relief!

After a year or two of these tests, he finally retired after one prolonged 12-G test. His boss had recommended he quit volunteering, or else “his organs would be rearranged for life.”
LINKY

View attachment 11497

"R. Flanagan Gray in 1958 in which he was subject to 31.25 sustained Gs for 5 seconds, submerged in a specially-built water tank known as the 'Iron Maiden.'"

Holy shit.

phrogpilot73

And he landed on his feet, according to CNN. Kowabunga!
Yep.

thumb.php

Renegade One

None
In an unexpected "shout out" to all of our RW bubbas, Felix said at a press conference (I'm paraphrasing here...): "I'm done with all of this high altitude jumping shit. I want to become a helicopter rescue pilot."
[Note: He's already a licensed civilian RW pilot.]

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
In an unexpected "shout out" to all of our RW bubbas, Felix said at a press conference (I'm paraphrasing here...): "I'm done with all of this high altitude jumping shit. I want to become a helicopter rescue pilot."
[Note: He's already a licensed civilian RW pilot.]

Set a world record being a bad ass, then move on to helos as a mountain rescue helicopter pilot. It's the obvious and logical next step. :)