• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feeling out the Goshawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

Question....I just selected Jets to Meridian and was wondering....

How did it compare/contrast flying the mighty T-34 to the T-45? (especially if you had some time off before the transition....which I seem to have at this point)

I'm personally worried about the getting used to everything from speed, to G-suits.......any gouge would be usefull..

Any Apartments close to base??

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
Get some leave/spec. lib and drive up early to find a place to live.

Or just get 10 days of free House Hunting TAD when you report to Meridian.

Congrats on your selection!

I just had my first pool sim today. The T-45 is laid out MUCH nicer and user-friendly than the T-34 could dream to be. It is very touchy trying to fly it though. I'll have another go at it next week.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
two words:
VSI CONTROL

learn it, know it, live it.... w/o it, you'll never survive instruments. If there's one thing you practice initially, it should be to be to control the vsi

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
squeeze said:
two words:
VSI CONTROL

learn it, know it, live it.... w/o it, you'll never survive instruments. If there's one thing you practice initially, it should be to be to control the vsi

Hey man, your still workin with the steam gauges!

fwdinstrumentpanel.jpg

There's nothing like putting the velocity vector on the horizon line. So much more easy...Although, it wasn't until fams that I figured any of that digital **** out.
t45_5.jpg

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ya...unlike you nancys, we don't need a velocity vector and a slaved waypoint to fly at the boat. waaaaaaaa....i can't land because my VV is broken and I can't read a tacan DME. :)

/nowhere near going to the boat
//wishes we had Cs

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
You guys were saying that the vsi is really sensitive in the 45, what about the aspect of trim? How is that different from the T-34 aside from the obvious reasons such as centerline thrust and the like? Like some of the other guys, I am a little worried about the transition from 34 to 45 and since I am a Marine, I have only about a month off before I class up, I just selected about a week ago and am classin up Dec. 6th at Kingsville. I hear Marines don't get to do those sims in the beginning either.....does this cause us to be sort of behind from the start?

petescheu

Punk said:
glass if for cheaters

seriously... btw, make sure you actually learn how to fly the ball with your cushy velocity vector there, so that you don't roll out behind the ship and give your "Goshawk Ball" call when the OLS isn't even on because all you do is put the VV next to lens. Not that that's ever happened to a kid from meridian before. oh wait...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
these days they're hard scheduling pool guys for sims too....bastards. makes it damn near impossible to get an OFT

as far as the transition, sure, it's quite a leap, but very doable. the trim is pretty good in the -45. All trim is electric. Aileron and stab trim are controlled by the coolie hat on the stick, while there is a SLOW little knob for rudder trim. For the most part, you can trim the rudder after t/o and leave it. You have to trim the nose for a/s rather often, but if you're doing something constant, itll hold trim rather well. After t/o about the only time you'll mess with aileron trim is on dirty up. You trim a lot, but its none of that "what way do you trim if you add power and climb" crap.... you trim to a neutral stick feel, and with centerline thrust, there really aren't any weird yawing tendencies.

just hop in the IFT all you can and work on basic flying. start off with straight and level, then try a 1k fpm descent, level off, 1k fpm climb, and repeat. Once you get that down, try to make a standard rate turn at the same time (don't worry about timing)... then try accel/decel while turning and maintaining rate/alt. Basic stuff like that will really help you build a scan and get a feel for the sim -- you won't get a feel for the jet till you actually fly it, but so much of the early stuff is in the sim.

you won't be behind at all....sure, some people get a lot more sim time than others prior to classing up, but they build you up pretty good. don't sweat it and more importantly, don't believe anything anybody in primary-land says about Jets or the jet VTs.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Fly Navy said:
So what happens when you get into a Harrier or a Hornet? :icon_wink

Harrier, I'm offended. What from our time together would lead you to believe I am a marine? :icon_wink

I got autothrottles, autopilot, etc. when I get to the Hornet. If I'm gonna cheat, I'm gonna go all out. Besides, if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough. :icon_tong

Rainman

pilot
UINavy hit the nail. For landing gives a great graphical VSI --that's about it.

VV is a good piece of gear and every a/c you can select has got one save a few prowlers. It isn't that you can't fly without it, you just get used to using it. That's why you'll never launch off the boat and never drop a bomb without it. Declare your emergency, take your trap and press.

Status
Not open for further replies.