• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FBI lat transfer

eye_malfunction

Barnard1425 said:
They only take especially "strategic" foreign language applicants (Urdu, Pashtun, Mandarin Chinese, etc., Spanish doesn't count) and rarely accept Accountants or Lawyers without some sort of professional experience.

I'm not too sure on this but I went to a seminar at my college put on by an FBI recruiter and he said that Spanish does count, in addition to the ones you listed, along with Arabic and Farsi. Also he told us you didn't need three years of work experience (which doesn't seem to be a problem on these boards) if you could pass the language test or if you went to college and recieved a degree in something that pertained to computers and/or programming (i.e. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, etc). This information may be wrong, I'm not too sure, but I do know this is what he told us. I'm also considering the FBI if I can't fly in the Navy but unfortunately I'm going to need those three years of work experience as chemistry isn't above the three-year work requirement :icon_cry: .

rare21

pilot
Contributor
good on all of you for wanting to make a difference outside of the military and provide a good influx of new military trained blood and honor into law enforcement. I wouldnt mind going federal anything after the Navy but I also wouldnt mind being a sheriff, fire chief and mayor of a small Texas town (yes, that small). :D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
CORPSviation said:
can someone spell this out for me, cause i dont see it. BAH, BAS, BASE, AVpay... gimmie an equation or something

Here's one example--since the pay scales are public, I don't see the harm in sharing...

Major with 10 years, monthly pay:

BASIC PAY 5,317.50
BAS (OFFICERS) 183.99
BAH WITH DEPNS 1,133.00
ACIP (DIFOP) 650
TOTAL 7,284.49

x12

Plus a POS aviation bonus of $7K/yr (you $18K guys can bite me:icon_tong )

Not P.Diddy money, but not chickenscratch, either, esp in Buttcrack, NC. If you're in a high-cost-of-living area, the BAH will be higher, and some areas have a cost-of-living adjustment. This is compared to the $80K in LA mentioned earlier, which is probably equivalent to maybe $50K in a less urban area.

VAmookie

Whats a POS AV bonus.... and who's getting the 18k/year and how do i get me some of that... and if i cant you guys can bite me on that one too

VAmookie

also, someone mentioned somethign about a career counselor... any ideas on how i can get in touch with one of those or might i be to jr. in my career to be looking that far ahead

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Plus a POS aviation bonus of $7K/yr (you $18K guys can bite me:icon_tong )
What about us 25K/yr guys? :D Any recommendations as to what we can do?

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You guys can just go f(*& yourselves while rolling on a bed covered with $100 bills. :tophat_12 I always thought the bonus differences between the services, and in the Marine Corps, between itself, were insane. Anyway....

For Corpsaviation, the "POS" aviation bonus is me bitching about the "Piece of sh%&" $7K/yr bonus I got for reupping through 16 years of service, versus the $18K/yr one for guys signing this year.

If you're a 2ndLt, the career counselor will laugh in your face...and don't even think about calling your monitor. He'll hang up the phone, right after he pencils your name in for "Weather Observer, Ross Ice Shelf." They are two separate beasts.

Career counselors and monitors are both officers who work in Manpower. The career counselor is who you might talk to as you approach a promotion board and are trying to make your record more competitive. A huge part of his job is advising guys who've been passed over on how to unhose their careers. The only time a company-grade O would need to talk to one is right before the major's board, or if he was considering doing some odd career move.

Monitors do officer assignments. Each rank grouping and MOS grouping has one, e.g. company-grade rotary wing pilots, fixed-wing majors, etc, etc. You may have to do some horsetrading and compromising with the guy to get something approximating your desires. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TALK TO YOUR MONITOR WHILE YOU'RE A STUDENT. He will call your command back and tell them about the ass-clown who had the balls to call him. Your first duty station will be determined for you the same way it is for everyone else--by throwing pieces of paper in a fireplace until one puts out white smoke. If you are getting winged, and you don't get what you want, don't call your monitor asking for something else. This has actually happened. I wonder if the kid thought the monitor was going to say, "I don't know you from Adam, but I'll go ahead and screw up my numbers by reversing the selection I sent your command."

Bottom line is that your first tour is going to be determined for you. Worry about career moves as you are maybe a year out from your projected move date for the end of that first fleet assignment.

....end threadjack....

Reactions: E5B

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Brett327 said:
What about us 25K/yr guys? :D Any recommendations as to what we can do?

Brett
Kiss my ass, Brett. ;) I got my bonus and 3 weeks later they announced it was going up to $25k from 15. Oh yeah, that's the bureau looking out for us. No "you might want to hold off for a few weeks" or miraculous paperwork-losing-and then-refinding. Can't get another piece of paperwork right up there, but they can sure as hell figure out how to screw you out of $$.:icon_rage