• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Favorite ports of call

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Loved Palma and Marseille. Got the fuck out of both of them - to the north coast of Mallorca in the former and Nice in the latter, with side trips to Monaco and Cannes. Which isn't at all to say that Palma and Marseille aren't cool cities in their own right, but when in port, I prefer to see as few of my "5,000 closest friends" as possible.

samguitar

Flying a desk.
pilot
Loved Palma and Marseille. Got the fuck out of both of them - to the north coast of Mallorca in the former and Nice in the latter, with side trips to Monaco and Cannes. Which isn't at all to say that Palma and Marseille aren't cool cities in their own right, but when in port, I prefer to see as few of my "5,000 closest friends" as possible.

Last ports I hit had mando 3-5 member liberty buddy groups (1 of whom is alcohol free), effectively no overnight liberty, and an exclusive liberty zone which included only the most Americanized, central portions of the city. Maybe that's just one AOR.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Last ports I hit had mando 3-5 member liberty buddy groups (1 of whom is alcohol free), effectively no overnight liberty, and an exclusive liberty zone which included only the most Americanized, central portions of the city. Maybe that's just one AOR.

A) That sounds fucking terrible. B) I feel pretty confident that AOR was not 6th Fleet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll second Chile. Spent 3 weeks in Santiago during a VP UNITAS det. That place is insane.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Opinions?
"Round The Horn" cruise USS Constellation/CAG- 5, Jul-Sep '62.

1 Rio De Janeiro, Brazil - beachs/bikinis/wine bars @ Copa Cabana and "That Girl at Ipanema", Sugarloaf Mountain.:)

2. Valparaiso. Chile, port city for Capital Santiago, 50 miles up in the Andes and gateway to Portillo Ski Resort (9,450' MSL) on Mount Aconcagua, at 22,831', the highest peak in the western hemisphere.:eek:

3. Acapulco, Mexico (pre-drug wars era); famed "cliff divers", world-class Tarpon/Sailfish fishing, awesome Cantinas!:D

Other fine portcalls that cruise: Trinidad; Lima, Peru; Panama City, Panama; and ,Sandy Eggo, CA, the brand-new Connie's home port until she was "put to pasture"!:(
BzB

Mos

None
For P-3 folk, we don't exactly have 'ports of call' but the best det site I had was Atsugi, because from there I got to go to Tokyo for a day.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Stavanger may also be the most expensive, but then again, its worth it.
I'll tell you what's getting expensive - 5th Fleet. During my last float in 13/14, Salalah, Oman was MORE expensive than Singapore! Just getting a couple of cocktails and a nice meal at one of the local hotels was very pricey. And . . . of course . . . . all the menues appeared to be "new" I'm sure as a result of our ship pulling in, but they really charged ridiculously high prices for absolutely everything.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
As another misguided MPRA soul suffering through too much per diem and time on my hands wondering why the prop pump was leaking YET AGAIN...I feel the need to put in a plug for Rota, Souda Bay, and Bahrain. Kwajalein and Wake Island were fascinating in a "we're only here for 3 hours isn't this cool sort of way", too.

And some random NATO exercise saw us staging out of Antalya, Turkey for 2 weeks...and staying at a beach side resort designed for German tourists. I've never seen so much beer consumed at breakfast.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
1. Perth/Freemantle (friendly Aussies, great pubs, beautiful weather, and tons of eye candy... enough said)
1a. Puerto Rico (qualified to wear the Silver Dolphins, and after running the gauntlet and getting them tacked on, crew took me out to drink the Dolphins! Funniest part was seeing the XO carried back on board the ship and the JOs mummifying him in toilet paper)
2. Sydney (you need a rep to go to Sydney Maritime Headquarters for two weeks? Sign me up! VP Navy isn't too shabby)
2b. Rio (Ah UNITAS planning conference... I found out what a capiroska was... and managed not to get mugged... good times!)
3. Curacao (two months underway on the sub, pulled in for 72 hours, I don't recall much through the alcohol induced memories... ran into my first VQ crew there and found out that they deployed there! Formative moment on what I wanted to do with my career in the Navy :D)
4. Mauritius (show the flag flight, weeklong park the plane, do some tours, and hang out at a restort for drinking, diving and sailing, VP life is awesome!)
5. Souda (I speak a little greek so we took advantage of a broken plane and spent a glorious week eating, drinking and seeing the sites!)
6. Rota (travelling around Spain sampling riojas, visiting Gibraltar)
7. Tokyo (multiple overnighters in roppongi... I still remember the train stop, hiro station! Made the mistake of buying a round there, 12 shots cost me like $200, ouch!) Good times!

Oh, not a "port call", but three tours in Hawaii wasn't too bad at all either :D

Last edited:

azguy

None
EUCOM: Hard to go wrong, my favorite stop was in Italy.
CENTCOM: Seychelles, and there's really no other port in that of the world that comes close.
PACOM: Toss up between Hong Kong and Sydney. I missed out on Thailand, I've heard that's awesome.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Kristiansand & Stavanger Norway. Absolutely epic :)

Kristiansand in 1986 or 87. NATO Northern Wedding Exercise port of call.

My roommate and I brought home a pair of similar aged little Norwegian supermodels to the wardroom before a pre-planned fun night on the town. (We met them the evening prior at a bar, partied with them and had an amazing time after.) OMFG I remember this like it was yesterday. All was cool until we brought them into the wardroom because the gals wanted to see the ship. We introduced these amazing hotties to the Mom and Dad and they appeared to be impressed with the women. ....right up until we about to depart. The CO took us both into the passageway and with a unique sense of urgency in his voice and informed us that he had a daughter the same age. (Our CO's daughter was 15 back at home.) We assured DAD that they were AT LEAST 20 and that he must be completely mistaken. We all went back in the wardroom and the CO asked the gals how old they were. The gals started to almost cry and sheepishly said 16 and 17 respectively. Ugh. In the US they would have easily passed for 21 or older! Norway is a magical land.