• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Family question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickou23

Just wondering if anyone had problems with their families in choosing a career in the military. I don't necessarily mean spouses, my fiancee is very supportive, it has more to do with parents.
To say that the situation with me and my father is strained is a bit of an understatement, (his rather vocal complaints range from wasting a CS degree, to opening myself up for discrimination). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience in dealing with a less than supportive family.

Thanks in advance,
Nickou

ASUPilot

With all due respect, your father is allowed to yield his "mighty" discontent for your chosen career path because guys like you voluntered for duty post college. Your parents wishes are not even a concern...it's YOUR life! Fly Navy if you can!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All right, another CS degree wasted, mine has been gathering dust for the last 2 years! :)

Seriously though, I was fortunate to have a family supportive of my interest going into the military. Though they weren't to keen on me turning down college to go straight in and enlist! That was an ugly year, so I can understand somewhat what you might be going through.

I would say that in my case (and possibly yours) you have a family that cares about what you are doing, and doesn't want you to make any mistakes in life. In some cases it is difficult to let go as a parent (my two girls are growing up fast and I don't look forward to any of that).

In the end, it all boils down to what course in life will make you as an individual happy. Will you look back later in life and regret that you didn't do this? Who knows, that is completely up to you and your own soul searching.

Granted, I am completely biased on the subject, and the fact that I believe the military, in particular the Navy and Naval Aviation is a great choice. But I do have to agree that it is not for everyone.

As for discrimination, there are many types, ranging from race, religion, gender, experience, community, to heck even Pilot vs. NFO!! But seriously, the Navy is more concerned with your performance and getting the job done when it comes to promotions and getting that next job. Unforunately over the past few years the Navy (and military as a whole) have had a few black eyes that have been played up by the media. But face it, the military is and always has been leading the civilian population as a whole with respect to reforms and acceptance in the workplace. If anything, it usually boils down to us in the military, the comrades in arms, versus those civilian weenies on the outside who get to sleep in every morning.

My 2 cents.

Jeff29

Science Project
John,

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I thought that you might have some more insight now that you are further down the path. I was particularly interested in your reference to your daughters, as I have questions about family life.

I am currently a staff officer in the Navy considering a transfer to aviation; my only hang-up is family life. In my community, I do not deploy and I basically work a 9 to 5. I was hoping that you could help me understand what family life has been like throughout training, and what your it will be like while in a fleet squadron (I'm particularly concerned with time away from home). Thanks.

Jeff

nickou23

Hey guys thanks, just needed to not feel so guilty. Pretty sure he'll come around eventually, I've made it abundantly clear that this is what I aim to do, and any silliness on their part isn't going to change my mind as much as it will damage our relationship. I think part of the problem is that he grew up under an authoritarian regime, and has learned some reflexive contempt for any govt. You would think he would value freedom more because of it . I can't imagine doing anything else though, all set to go, just have to go to ACES, and finish my 6 hours of coursework this summer.
Anyhow,
John, Matt, you're not missing anything, I've spent the last 3 years of school working part time in various software companies around here, yeah, great if you like staring at text on a monitor for hours on end.

Save me a spot on the fence line, I'll get there as quick as I can.

Thanks again for listening.

Derrill Thompson

Hooray for the patriotism!!

I wish the kids who work for me had this much excitement about serving their country. This is certainly a breath of fresh air. Can't wait to join the rest of you...

SSgt Thompson, USAF
OC Thompson, USN, on June 2.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:my only hang-up is family life. In my community, I do not deploy and I basically work a 9 to 5. I was hoping that you could help me understand what family life has been like throughout training, and what your it will be like while in a fleet squadron (I'm particularly concerned with time away from home).

Jeff, that is a good question. Matt pretty much summed it up. Depending on where you are in training, you will have more time off or you will be time constrained. During API and Primary Ground school phases of training, you will have that set monday through friday schedule (0800-1600, or whatever depending on the days training schedule, some days we would get out ridiculously early at 1100!). But usually with the beginning of any phase of training you are innundated with new material, and you will have to spend more time studying at night and on the weekends.

I for one have almost always been able to keep friday and saturdays for my family. You need that decompression time and the stress reliever of having a night and dinner out on friday, and a BBQ or something on saturday, whatever it is you do to relax. Usually I would catch up or get ahead on Sunday afternoons or review material. But hey, each their own, everyone has their own studying techniques. But as you mentioned family, you don't want to leave them left out. On the same token, your wife and children need to be supportive of what you are going through. During the week my wife would keep the kids out of my hair, "Daddy's studying!", you get the picture.

Matt brought up a great point with his son going to the field. Every time I soloed my wife and kids were at NAS Saufley and saw me enter the pattern and take pictures (I even got away with waving my wings at them!). Just it seems to help to make them part of the over all experience and training. My wife and daughters went out to the static display planes a number of times.

As training progresses you will find yourself with more an more time off, days that you don't have to report and can be spent at the wonderful Pcola beach! Heck, lets go golfing! Your schedule will be quite erratic though, and sometimes difficult to know when you will be home. You could have a 0500 brief and flight one day, then the next a 1500 brief and flight, followed by two days of not flying. Another day you could be stuck in the ready room waiting for weather to clear and a plane to become available. Just don't count on a very steady or predictable schedule.

You asked about the fleet schedule, well in my case, at a P3 squadron you have the 18 month cycle, a year at home, 6 months on deployment. When you are at home, and not flying, you have your ground job, and depending on the requirements, basically a 9-5 type of job, though seriously, depending on the command, and what needs to get done, that also will vary (also of course depends on who your boss is!). "Where's ENS Wickham, I need the monthly training report?", "Sorry sir, he is out playing a round of golf." Ouch, that can hurt. But anyways you get the idea.

All the way through the RAG you will have ample time with your family. It just really hits the fan when you get to the squadron, picking up your ground job (safety, pao..) and other collateral duties, in addition to "Welcome aboard, by the way here is your PQS, you are behind on your quals!". Yikes! So time gets short again as you work up the rungs on your quals.

I guess to sum it up, at times during training there won't be enough time in the day, and unfortunately something has to give, and that usually is time spent with family. But as Matt said, overall throughout training, you are going to find that you will be able to spend more time with your family and enjoy days off than you are now.

Another thought before I get off my soapbox... get to know the other married SNAs, introduce the wives, have BBQs, have the better half go to the wives club meetings. whatever it takes. Your spouse becomes better informed, and has a ready group of friends.

Whew, alot of info, hope that viewpoint helps to answer your question.

Nick, glad we were able to answer your question, being biased the way I am about the Navy, I think you will really enjoy the Aviation community, the people, and flying, "Hey, we get paid to do this?!?! Come on, where's the hook?"

As for the CS degree, don't necessarily think the degree itself is a waste (I really enjoyed getting my degree), just the fact that you run the risk of not using it during training and in the Navy (unless you get the ADP or Network Systems collateral duty at your command), plus not in an environment where you are learning all the new developments, techniques, etc. Though I try and stay current... in part this website helps out as I play with ASP coding!

Looks like I get to fly the P3 tomorrow, woohoo... so off to study!

Dave Shutter

About finally getting to your squadron...

Obviously I can't personally vouch for what happens, but when my Brother got assigned to VF-142 right as they were in the middle of work-ups for a cruise he let me know in plain languge: it's a bitch!

Not to take anything away from non-carrier aviators, but when a CVW gets ready for deployment they have these little one and two week mini-cruises the airwing and ships crew go on to shake off the rust and do CQ's, which is obviously precluded by tons of FCLP's. VF's and VFA's do DETS to Fallon and Key West for refresher training in Strike and ACM and then they top it off with practice bombing on the Visques range in Puerto Rico. Well, only dry runs now anyway.
Think about all the maintenance issues if you're flying the aging Prowler, Viking or F-14A. But if you can imagine doing all that on top of every other nugget duty there is and then being "behind on quals" the minute you show up, well you can quess why older pilots say that: "flight school is the easy part."

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 02/16/2001 02:43:43

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Jeff-
Let me give you a brief description of the past twelve years in USMC aviation. In my tenure this country has been engaged in conflicts from Panama, Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, Liberia, to Hati. I've been targeted but not allowed to engage people in Korea, China and Cuba. In a four year span in Cherry Point, I was gone 21/2 years. When I was home, I was'nt. If I wasn't flying then I had my ground job to contend with. I've buried 17 friends from my TBS class. 16 aviators and 1 grunt(Oklahoma City). I just found out that my neighbor was killed in a T-45 accident last week. I've been gone alot, dealt with tragedy and loss and believe me, it will take its toll on your family. I drive 737's for an airline now because the toll was to expensive and I was tired of paying. Everyone's career is different but understand :MINE WAS NORMAL. It all depends on your spouses courage and intestinal fortitude. Regardless of what I endured, I loved my profession and still do as a reservist and I would not change anything. I am not trying to scare you off, I fully endorse your decision and applaud your effort on seeking knowledge about what life will be like. I could have told you alot of OOrah fluff like the less experienced on this website but instead I decided to give you a dose of reality solely based on my experience. Good luck.
Semper Fi!

Frumby
Major USMC(R)

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Kyle McWhirter

I feel your pain buddy. I am getting grief from my Mom, sisters, friends, priest (basically everyone except those on airwarriors.com, my roommate who is going OCS this summer for the USMC and my buddy at the Academy). I just got my acceptance last week and got a "Oh that is good" from my family. I have come to the conclusion that they will be supportive in anything I do, but I will be the happiest flying Navy.

I agree with ASUPilot on this one. Your life, all of our lives! If my Dad were still around (passed away when I was 16) I think he would be proud of my decision. I must tell you though, I am not doing this to make others proud of me. I seem to share the deep patriotism as others on this post and this entire website. Do this for the right reasons and the family will understand

As far as wasting the CS degree, I am graduating in May with a degree in Marketing...but I am taking the experiences I had at college and will learn from them in the future...doesn't sound like a waste of anything to me.

Good luck!

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Frist let me say i know exactly what you are talking about. When i told my family that i want to join the navy to fly they looked at me and said "what why the hell do you want to do that??" And i have an italian mother and belive me i heard it. But in the end they have accepted it. and They have said that it is my life and they want me to do what makes me happy. And eventualyi bet your father will come around.
Also there was one thing i wanted to throw out there. I was talking to someone who said that they though that poeple of my parents generation might noit like the military because of vitenam. That because they saw people go into the sevice and not get much out oif it the were prediduce agist it. This seems to make some sence to me cause my parent are not apcificts or anything but still are not thrilled about the military.
Oh i see i am not the only one who has a CS degree and has chosen something else. but let face facts when give the choice between sitting behind a desk and working on computers or flying, flying is a much more exciting choise. i was ealking inot work today and it was a buitifull blue sky and i thought to myself, "God why am i going to work, I wish i could go flying today!"

nickou23

Falcaner,
Yeah, I'm not sure how common this is either, but I got some of it from my mom, shes in that age group to have had friends go to Vietnam.
Yeah, I've enjoyed getting my degree, I mean we did some pretty cool stuff, I think more than anything I learned how to think, but I had one of those days today, one of those nice days outside, not that I would know cooped up in this windowless office that I share with 4 other people all day sort of days.
Anyway, I think my dad is slowly accepting it. I think he knows me well enough to know I'm not backing down on this one.
-Nickou

vicki

My Dad is a Vietnam veteran (AF not Navy). I don't think this made him less supportive, but it certainly made him make sure that I truly understood what I was getting into. There was fatherly concern, but more than that, there was a desire to make sure I knew that this wasn't about aileron rolls and punching holes in the sky. Whatever the world is currently doing, there is never any guarantees that another Vietnam won't break out. As long as you are honestly ready to fly in times of war as well as peace, was the message I got. Kind of a strange discussion to have with one's little girl, I guess, but I'm glad we had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.