• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fall Weather In Quantico?

tperng

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in Quantico during the Fall? I'm assuming that the weather is beautiful given reports of fall classes being very popular in terms of candidate applications.

I'm particularly interested in how quickly it gets cold down in Quantico. I'm a small framed person without a lot of body fat and I get cold pretty easily. So I have been debating on whether to bring additional "undershirts" that can be worn under utils and PT clothes to wick away any sweat and keep me a little warmer. On the other hand, I was concerned that I'm packing too much stuff for OCS. So any info on weather fluctuations would be greatly appreciated.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Oh you are going to have tons of fun...Quantico is cold in the winter but doesn't get too bad till Jan...I would not be surprised to see ice as you do the IMC

You hit it right on the head with word flucations. I went to college 15 miles from quantico and the weather can range from 90 and hot to 25 and snowing. Virginia weather just flucuates like crazy from day to day. In general tho i'd expect nice sunny weather and it not really getting all that cold until the last few weeks of OCS .. that's been my experience the last 3 years with VA weather although Quantico/Fred Vegas did get snow one novemeber two years ago.. I wouldn't bet on it.

s/f

It's all relative jmn the how bad/cold it gets.. to a New Englander like me it never gets cold here in VA.. to my OSO a Texas native he thinks hes in the Artic during the winter..

Whalebite

Quantico is the vortex of nature, it has the worst weather at the worst times. If you dont like the weather just wait.
You do not have a smaller frame than me, and I made it through. You are packing too much. All you need is someting to wear on liberty. All the crap you bring will go in a storage closet until libo anyway. You will have pleanty of issued gear to keep you warm nomatter who you are.
All that being said, you do not always get to wear what you want. Everyone wears the same things for uniformity at certan times. When it is cold and rainy you will be wearing cotton and when it is hot and sunny you will be in your gortex, its just the way it goes. The weather for the fall class is the best weather of all the classes. It starts out hot, then gets cool, and is very nice, and then gets cold towards the end.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Yeah, when you go to the field, the Quantico weather will find a way to make you wet and cold...its gonna happen, like whale said...

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
Heh, I remember being cold at OCS......and I went through PLC during the summer. :icon_mi_1

Like others have said, the weather in Virginia can be quite vexing. Just focus on the important part: becoming a Marine Officer. The rest is just details.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
34 degrees and raining sucks a lot more than 20 degrees and snowing. I grew up in Maine and Quantico was the coldest I had ever been until I got to Korea (at least Quantico doesnt stink as well)

tperng

Thanks for the info. I'll reduce the amount of stuff I'm bringing with me.

By the way, for those of you who brought black socks / underwear with you, how did you mark them? The Sharpie Rub-a-dub permanent markers do not come in white. I did see some metallic silver permanent markers that I have yet to try out.

Marine4life

I would highly recommend that you wash your socks in one of the laundry bags that are issued to you at OCS. I never marked my black socks and I finished with what I started with.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
tperng said:
By the way, for those of you who brought black socks / underwear with you, how did you mark them? The Sharpie Rub-a-dub permanent markers do not come in white. I did see some metallic silver permanent markers that I have yet to try out.

The marking kit you will buy comes with white ink and it's permanent. However, if you're going to use that marking kit, try and mark all your trash at the same time. Once the little ink pad dries, it's like a rock and basically useless.

If you're really resourceful, go to Office Depot and get a stamp of your last name and initials made for 15 bucks. That will save you TONS of time.

But I second the laundry bag no matter what, best way not to lose your skivvies and socks.

Mark your cammies on the pockets, it won't bleed through and it's the easiest way not to lose 'em. Laundry bags suck with cammies because they never dry. You'll be the candidate who smells like mildew.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
DocT said:
Laundry bags suck with cammies because they never dry. You'll be the candidate who smells like mildew.

Yea, 'cause everybody else at OCS this past summer smelled great....haha :icon_tong