• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Falklands War

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone know a good book on the Falklands War? Considering it was the last major sea war, I'd like to read more about it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Negat. Most of what I know of that war is cobbled together from various bigger picture sources.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
well, the British Sea Harrier did very well, of course, they weren't "true" dogfights, just sidewinder kills ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
To find books on the subject, you could go to www.amazon.com and search the campaign. I looked in the militarybookclub site, but could not find any. You could try there.

Lots of retards review the books on Amazon.com. I want to know what someone here reads. I know there MUST be a Falklands War lover here.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If you want a good and quick synopsis of the war, specifically the air campaign, try Osprey's series on the Falkland's War. Covers in depth the two opposing air forces and many of the battles they fought.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Max Hastings is about the best author who has written on the subject.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually have 7 or 8 good books on the Falklands War. It is fascinating to me as a conventional war between two somewhat equal opponents in modern times, not too common nowadays.

Hastings' book is good but it does not have the detail of military operations that I like ot see, it is a much broader view. I have ADM Woodward's book (the CO of the fleet that wet down there) and the senior Royal Marine's book. Both are decent but there are limited to their perspectives, good for a serious student but not as stand alone books.

The most enjoyable book I have read on the conflict, and the best from hte Naval Aviation perspective, is Sea Harrier Over the Falklands by CDR Sharkey Ward. He was one of the Sea Harrier squadron CO's in the war and had three kills (Mirage, Pucara and C-130). He has a little bit of an axe to grind, it seems like much of the battle group leadership did not understand how to use the Harrier, but it is a great read. I bought it on a layover in the UK and I can only find it on Amazon's UK site http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8994/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/026-8976504-1134057

When I get home I will check the rest of my books to see which titles were the better ones.

P.S. He took a few shots at Argentinian T-34C's that were sent out to attack some of the British fleet that was close to the islands (with rocket and gun pods) when they first arrived in the Falklands, he describes the encounter in his book. He was only able to get a short burst off with his cannons but lost them in the clouds. Found out post war that he hit one but the cannon shell failed to explode. Contrary to the persistant rumor in primary, a T-34C did not shoot down a Harrier. No Harriers were lost in aerial combat.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Lots of retards review the books on Amazon.com. I want to know what someone here reads.
I'm sorry, but all I could do was laugh my ass off at that one.