• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failure the First Time Around

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got told no from OCS twice, the third time I got selected for #2 choice of NFO before I heard if I got #1 choice pilot or not, I took the NFO job without thinking twice. Fast forward 8 months later and the 2nd week in A pool I get a call from NASC skipper's secretary to come in his office in 30 minutes, CO says the navy is short pilots and I'm qualified for the slot if I want it, took it and the rest is history. Obviously things worked for me in the end, but I wanted to serve and fly jets, I wasn't going to give up the potential back seat in a hornet while I waited around some more especially since I had got 2 rejections already.

Just keep applying if you don't get it, apply until you reach the age limit if that's what it takes. Like other's have said, if you want to serve in any capacity then options are greater, if you only want to fly you better have a shit hot ASTB and GPA, and some aviation experience won't hurt too. Those things worked for me.
I believe the word FAILURE as used in the title, should be replaced by "non-select". Becoming a Naval Officer is near always a very competitive proposition. There are usually many more well qualified applicants than available slots, as is the case for desirable positions in the civilian world.

Non-select is not an 'end of the dream' failure, as the Navy allows repeat applications as long as you remain qualified. You are allowed test retakes within certain parameters to improve scores, plus adding references and other experiences/accomplishments or qualifications to polish up your next package. The example cited by JD81 above proves that non-select is only a failure... when you fail to gear up and try again. The list of Naval Officers who didn't make the first application cut, is long and illustrious!

"If at first you don't succeed; try, try again"!
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In every sentence, "me, me, me, my, my, my, I, I, I," was all I heard out of him.
Yes, I have seen some of this on the OCS 'wannabee' threads lately. When called out on this "entitled" attitude, usually become quite confrontational & sarcastic. Future "that guy/girls", I guess?:rolleyes:
BzB

Surf

pilot
I am new to this board, but to what BzB said, humbling and educating us new guys is the best thing for us. Now that the packet is submitted, sit, wait and cross fingers..!

RiseR 25

Another question to ask yourself: would you want to do any of those other jobs if you weren't qualified to be an aviator? My class was hit very hard by NAMI whammies at OCS and no one quit, myself included (still in redesignation process post OCS). If the answer is "yes" then there is nothing wrong with sticking with going for brown shoes on your application, but if you doubt you'd stay otherwise you might need to rethink what you're getting into.

Did the NAMI whammies come from Pcola or OCS docs?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Did the NAMI whammies come from Pcola or OCS docs?

PCola, that's where NAMI is. To be clear, the docs will send your stuff to NAMI and then you'll find out (as opposed to getting the whammy after going down there). However, in particularly egregious cases or non-waiverable conditions, the docs at OCS can do it without NAMI's involvement. From my experience, the vast majority come from PCola.

jtmedli

pilot
PCola, that's where NAMI is. To be clear, the docs will send your stuff to NAMI and then you'll find out (as opposed to getting the whammy after going down there). However, in particularly egregious cases or non-waiverable conditions, the docs at OCS can do it without NAMI's involvement. From my experience, the vast majority come from PCola.

This is both wrong and right. I dont think you 'get' what he's asking. The "NAMI Whammy" comes from Pcola because that's where the office is, but can be initiated, and in most cases is initiated, during the OCS physical. That one is the most in depth and is done at a piss poor time IMO. My physical in Pcola took 10 minutes and that was after waiting 12 weeks at OCS to get cleared.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I would rather endorse a guy who will stick it out regardless of what happens to their pilot/NFO slot vice a guy who is going to DOR at week one of OCS and sit in student pool for 6 months because getting their way took precedence over wanting to serve. I saw a self-righteous guy do just that and I couldn't be happier that he's out. In every sentence, "me, me, me, my, my, my, I, I, I," was all I heard out of him.

I'm generally in agreement. Quitting that early on shows a serious lack of perspective. That guy probably got what he deserved.

That being said, I do a job that I love that also happens to suck at times. There's suck in every job. However, I'd argue that if you don't like doing what you do, the sucky parts will crush your soul. I can't imagine sticking out a 4-5 year SWO contract when I hate every day.

RiseR 25

Thanks, from what I hear the OCS physical is somewhat uncalled for in many respects, due to going to MEPS prior to. I suppose there's nothing to do but just do it and check out ok, and try to get to NAMI.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm generally in agreement. Quitting that early on shows a serious lack of perspective. That guy probably got what he deserved.

That being said, I do a job that I love that also happens to suck at times. There's suck in every job. However, I'd argue that if you don't like doing what you do, the sucky parts will crush your soul. I can't imagine sticking out a 4-5 year SWO contract when I hate every day.

It's a difficult question. I wouldn't dismiss the candidate's motivations if they claimed they would go SWO if they couldn't get their ideal community. Some people genuinely want to be a Naval Officer and share in our unique centuries old traditions and customs. SWO is about as Naval Officer as you can get, so more power to them.

That said, SWO isn't my cup of tea either. I would be concerned (maybe even annoyed) if I began asking very very simple SWO questions of the applicant (with zero bias) and they looked as if they had done zero research on SWO. What an awesome way to devote the first 4-5 years of your Naval life, by have no clue whatsoever. I see a lot of that in the fleet and on this site and it somewhat concerns me at times.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
This is both wrong and right. I dont think you 'get' what he's asking. The "NAMI Whammy" comes from Pcola because that's where the office is, but can be initiated, and in most cases is initiated, during the OCS physical. That one is the most in depth and is done at a piss poor time IMO. My physical in Pcola took 10 minutes and that was after waiting 12 weeks at OCS to get cleared.

I had interpreted "NAMI-whammy" to mean any NPQ for flight, since ultimately they are based on NAMI rules and they have to send you a letter while you are at OCS to clear/DQ you. We use that term at OCS to mean getting NPQed in any case because it is so rare to get a solid "no" in week 1 or 2 without having to submit a package to NAMI.

It is a piss poor time, and kind of redundant given that you go to MEPS and then get one at NAMI. It would make more sense to give flight physicals at MEPS or before we go somehow, or put it off until PCola. On the upside, had I lost my pilot slot prior to OCS it might have meant having to apply to other designators that give out a handful of slots every year and not getting selected at all. Some people joke that the easiest way to get intel is to be a DQed pilot rather than actually apply to that community from outside OCS. So while I'm of course upset that I won't fly, I am grateful that I'll get to be a naval officer.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I don't really subscribe to the, "Do you really want to be a naval officer or naval aviator" dichotomy. If you want to be a pilot and not a SWO or SUPPO, then focus on that. You're signing on for a long time, you should be enthusiastic about what you're about to do. You shouldn't be unhappy for X years because you decided to take a job you weren't excited about just so you could be a Navy officer. There's nothing wrong with being a SUPPO or SWO, but I think they tend to attract different people than aviators. If you're ambivalent about whatever job you take, but you just want to serve in the Navy as an officer - more power to you, apply for everything and take whatever you get. And from what I've heard from my recruiter buddy, they aren't having a hard time getting SWOs, but pilot applicants are in short supply.

If you really want to be a pilot and not a SWO or SUPPO or Nuke, or whatever else, focus on being a pilot - just realize you're narrowing your chances of serving in the Navy. There's nothing wrong with chasing a specific dream.

jtmedli

pilot
LFCFan has a very good point, just because you go to OCS as a SNA doesn't mean you will leave OCS as one.

I think there's a big difference between 'taking whatever you can get' before OCS (as opposed to being set on SNA/NFO and wanting that before you show up) and 'choosing another designator after being NPQ'd at OCS'. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone wanting to be a Naval Aviator and putting SNA/NFO down on their application while leaving the second and/or third choice blank. Which is what I think is being discussed here.

jtmedli

pilot
Thanks, from what I hear the OCS physical is somewhat uncalled for in many respects, due to going to MEPS prior to. I suppose there's nothing to do but just do it and check out ok, and try to get to NAMI.

The MEPS physical and 'OCS phsyical' (read: flight phsyical) are 2 different things. The reason that everyone complains about the OCS physical is because it is done at a piss poor time when everyone is tired, run-down, and malnourished. Therefore, people who may have been borderline, but passing, now fail something like an eye exam or a blood test.

RiseR 25

I don't really subscribe to the, "Do you really want to be a naval officer or naval aviator" dichotomy. If you want to be a pilot and not a SWO or SUPPO, then focus on that. You're signing on for a long time, you should be enthusiastic about what you're about to do. You shouldn't be unhappy for X years because you decided to take a job you weren't excited about just so you could be a Navy officer. There's nothing wrong with being a SUPPO or SWO, but I think they tend to attract different people than aviators. If you're ambivalent about whatever job you take, but you just want to serve in the Navy as an officer - more power to you, apply for everything and take whatever you get. And from what I've heard from my recruiter buddy, they aren't having a hard time getting SWOs, but pilot applicants are in short supply.

If you really want to be a pilot and not a SWO or SUPPO or Nuke, or whatever else, focus on being a pilot - just realize you're narrowing your chances of serving in the Navy. There's nothing wrong with chasing a specific dream.

I ran into that predicament today at the recruiter's office. Not from my OR but from an officer at HQ NRC who did a phone interview with me today. I won't mention names and I don't want to start an argument.

My greatest fear is that this will influence the board's decision on my application.

exNavyOffRec

I ran into that predicament today at the recruiter's office. Not from my OR but from an officer at HQ NRC who did a phone interview with me today. I won't mention names and I don't want to start an argument.

My greatest fear is that this will influence the board's decision on my application.

I never ran across a person having to do an interview with someone from NRC, I have at the NRD level, but why did you have an interview?