• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Face-down Prone Float

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Sabre170 said:
D mac05,

When treading water in full gear, the frog kick will help me out if I can use my arms too. Is there a time when you have to tread with only your feet and holding your arms above your head, out of the water?

Negative. You can use your hands the entire time, although they are mostly for stability and balance. Your legs provide most of the treading action. Big, strong kicks should do it, especially with those boot soles helping you out.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Just like flashypants said. You only use your arms for stability/balancing. If you do it wrong, they'll definately let you know.

JayManC

in OCS you will do the prone float in PT shorts... and yes there is a way to cheat. personally i have neutral buoyancy...aka i dont float....i stop sinking about 2.5ft down. heres how i got through it. when youre coming off the side of the pool at the 12 foot point make sure you have your drawstring cinched, and pant legs open. this will allow you to retain a good pocket of air in your shorts. make sure you dont move violently enough to displace the air and you should be good not only for the tread, but also the float portion. at first i had heard rumors that the staff swimmer(s) would make you deflate it, but nope.

Wolfpack

I wanted to bump this thread as I have been unable to get myself to float. I have never have been able to my entire life. A swim instructor couldn't get me to float. She said I just don't have enough body fat. If I am obviously very comfortable in the water and pass the other swim portions with ease, are they going to hold me back because I cannot get my body to float? I am wondering how they handle this when I can clearly swim and am in good physical condition.

Thanks.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
yup gotta float. try this... fill your lungs with as much air as possible then grab your ankles with your legs extended so your feet don't drag you down. count to 8 potatoes and exhale and take a deep breath while doing one frog kick/breast stroke... repeat.

Wolfpack

I thought you couldn't move your arms or legs? Some people do not float. I am one of them. I don't just sink a couple of feet, I go to the bottom. I'm sure they see people like this quite often. Hopefully they will be able to teach me something that will keep me up or not hold me back. My recruiter stated that they would not hold me back if I can clearly swim and am comfortable in the water. Hope it's true because I'm a rock!

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
well you gotta move your arms and legs when taking a breath. with the flight gear on i would sink too... so my float was actually a sink... i would have to swim to the top to take a breath and sink back down.

Wolfpack

I am talking about the prone float at OCS not API. Thanks for the info. We'll see what happens. Maybe I should eat some more cheeseburgers before I go.

Sabre170

None
Take a deep breath, relax, and try to put your chin into your belly button. If your feet drop, try to put your head down farther.

Status
Not open for further replies.