• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Face-down Prone Float

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoshots02

AMDO - 13 Nov OCS
One of the requirements for passing the swimming portion at OCS is suppose to be a Face-down Prone Float....I have no clue what that is.

Can someone fill me in?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Otherwise known as the "dead man's float" It's pretty easy you just lie there face down, and come up for air when you need it. Repeat for 5 minutes.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
twoshots02 said:
And this is considered a challenge?

They're trying to A) make sure you can actually do it and B) identify those that are afraid to put their face in the water. You'd be surprised how many people there are like that.

Hudson

It freeks some of the students out. Also the training you get in OCS is just getting you prepared for API. Do you AMDO types go tp API like the flight docs?

kray1395

It in itself is not much of a challenge except for those who are not comfortable in the water. What makes it only a little bit more challenging is that you must do this immediately after having treaded water in full gear for five minutes. For those not completely comfortable in the water, i.e. myself, this can get your heart rate and breathing rate up to a point that keeping your face in the water for even a few seconds at a time can become fairly challenging. I'm not worried about it. But you might see where some people could be.

Wolfpack

I am comfortable in the water but am actually a little concerned about this. I have tried to do it on days when I swim and just absolutely do not float. I have very low body fat. Is there a trick? My lungs are full of air and I try to lean forward to take advantage of it but it does not seem to work. I don't want to not be able to pass that portion of the swim test.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Try pushing your head a little further into the water. If I lean my head too far back sometimes I start to sink. I'm not sure if this directly helps or not - maybe it just puts me into the right position or something.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
shunter said:
I am comfortable in the water but am actually a little concerned about this. I have tried to do it on days when I swim and just absolutely do not float. I have very low body fat. Is there a trick? My lungs are full of air and I try to lean forward to take advantage of it but it does not seem to work. I don't want to not be able to pass that portion of the swim test.

Eat McDonald's for a week straight and gain some body fat. :icon_smil

Hudson

try bringing your knees up under you more. You can hold on to them if it helps. You will float you're 70 percent water and the rest doesn't way that much. Just get a huge breath of air and relax in the water.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Try pressing your chin on your chest, and do a slow clap under the water at the same time. This pushes your back up and out of the water, thus allowing you to float. I just passed WS-6 (Full gear tread/float) today, and it helped me. Just remember to stay calm when you have all that gear on. Use the frog kick during treading.

Sabre170

None
D mac05,

When treading water in full gear, the frog kick will help me out if I can use my arms too. Is there a time when you have to tread with only your feet and holding your arms above your head, out of the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.